Poll: Which area should SCS add to ETS2 after Iberia?

Which area should SCS add to ETS2 next?

Western Balkan (Croatia, Serbia, B+H, Albania, Slovenia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Greece)
45%
Further East (Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova)
9%
More of Turkey
7%
Expand Scandinavia
19%
More of Russia
5%
Ireland
11%
Iceland
1%
(Parts of) North Africa
2%

Total votes: 811

Some newbie driver

Re: Poll: Which area should SCS add to ETS2 after Iberia?

#1311 Post by Some newbie driver » 26 Aug 2020 18:04

And I'm agree with that policy of theirs. Territories are how they are and SCS can't start to do weird releases just because some people can't bear an irregular shape map for some time (because eventually, the gap will be filled on a future DLC). The list of things more important to decide a DLC release than the final shape of the game map is infinite.

krmarci

#1312 Post by krmarci » 26 Aug 2020 20:26

jackalnxt wrote:
26 Aug 2020 06:53
I see no problem with splitting Turkey into several DLCs. We are already guaranteed to have a split Russia. Fennoscandia is one of the most often requested DLCs and that will also split Norway, Sweden and Finland.

Here is also why we can't compare the Western Balkans to anything we've had previously:
- In the Baltics all the countries have a relatively 'good' wide round shape that makes it easy to implement a good balance of cities and nature. And, of course, Russia is so big they can pick and choose whatever they want.
- Iberia is the same. Even if we take regional identities into effect, places like Catalonia have a fairly wide round shape that lends itself to easy implementation.
- With W. Balkans (not including Greece) we have the problem of country shapes AND, most importantly, no Shengen borders. RttBS didn't have that problem because the shapes of the countries were also favorable, especially the Bulgarian-Romanian border which is mostly bridges anyway that cannot be ignored.

The biggest problem for W. Balkans (not including the previous ones about assets and lack of Street view) is simple too many roads and cities and not enough room.
- Serbia has the most favorable position by default but it has its own limitations. Due to the need of having RttBS style borders, the Szeged and Sofia borders are already creeping into its territory. Szeged is practically at the border and will certainly eat a chunk of Voyvodina and Sofia even has an industry which overlaps with Serbian territory. The border at Vidin also creeps very deep. Only the Iron Gates border in Romania will allow for easy implementation. Add in the border posts with all the other countries, plus the tool booths at the border and the mandatory huge Belgrade and... Let's just say that the people that were unhappy with the amount of villages in RttBS are going to avoid this place like the plague.
- Croatia has the same border problems but with the added bonus of being ultra 'thin' there will hardly be any room to maneuver, outside of near Zagreb. The coastal area offers the best possibilities as they can easily 'borrow' some room from the Adriatic.
- Slovenia is in a slightly more favorable position in terms of border posts, being in the Shengen area, meaning its Austrian border offers a lot of room. But it also has the problem of being very thin and very little room. Plus, if Trieste gets added at some point, the coastline will be nearly impossible to reach.
- Bosnia, in theory should provide the most room but all the internal politics might cause such headaches and could even require internal divides.
- N. Macedonia. Dear old Pernik has already bitten off a chunk of the country and we haven't even considered all the other border posts. If Greece gets added first, that will also eat a chunk of the Southern part of the country. Important cities like Bitolya and Ohrid will either have to be moved northwards or squeezed in. Skopje will eat a big chunk of the north. To get a better idea of what I mean, the distance from one side of the country to the other is roughly the same as in-game Veliko Turnovo - Varna. Not only is it super tight but it also requires distinctive assets. Most other countries in the region use a form of Serbo-Croatian, SCS could use this as a shortcut to ease themselves in the making of signs and advertisements. Not the case here though.
- Kosovo. This is going to be a single city. Literally no room for anything else. Maybe an industrial or a scenic town at best. It will also create some toxic discussion during the build-up to the DLC, though none of it will impact actual sales (remember when everyone said they were going to boycott MW2 because it didn't have dedicated servers?).
- Montenegro. All of the problems above. Very little room. Many borders. Slightly more favorable position than Kosovo that might guarantee at least one extra industrial town.
- Albania. Again, very tight with lots of borders and the need for unique assets. Same as Croatia, favored by the presence of a coastline.
Good points! My additional thoughts:
* Croatia will also have the same problems as Serbia, especially around the Pécs-Osijek-Brod cluster and the Trieste-Koper-Rijeka cluster.
* Subotica is really close to Szeged, Novi Sad is really close to Belgrade. Will either of them be included? Good question.
* The ferry connection to Bari: we have three bad options - Dubrovnik, the inclusion of which would result in a ridiculous amount of border crossings; Bar, really close to Montenegrin capital Podgorica; and Durrës, really close to Albanian capital Tirana. However, at least one of them is really needed.
* The village problem: I feel there won't be much room left for villages except in Bosnia, Greece and maybe Western Serbia. Serbia and Croatia will mostly be a single highway going through, and all other countries will also only have the largest roads, with really few villages scattered between cities.
* Shortcuts in advertisements: Slovenian and Macedonian are different from Serbo-Croatian, Serbian uses Cyrillic, while Croatian and Bosnian use the Latin script, Montenegrin uses both. This means the only shortcuts possible are Serbia-Montenegro-(Kosovo), Albania-(Kosovo), Croatia-Montenegro-Bosnia (but only non-Serbian parts). Not much simplification, as this would still mean ads in six different languages (Slovenian, Latin S-C, Cyrillic S-C, Albanian, Macedonian and Greek).
* Inclusion of Kosovo is a big question mark because of the political situation.
* Bitola and Ohrid: they will be fine, although I think there will only be room for one of them.

Some newbie driver

#1313 Post by Some newbie driver » 26 Aug 2020 21:17

The inclusion of Kosovo debate was over when SCS updated the map of the game with Kosovo's borders on it. Even if doted (to try to soften some reactions) and as somebody said: it's a thing that exists and SCS should not be blamed to depict what exist, people like it or not.

There should be no problem in the Bari ferry connection. Game has already a lot of "towns" very near to cities just to have a ferry on there. Or if they are too close even for this approach, nothing prevents SCS to made the town of the ports just "scenic" (no naming in the map but signaled and identified in the 3D world)

Borders could be an issue indeed, but I expect them to be very simplified to avoid excessive waste of space. Baltic DLC has examples of that, while most borders follow the same model, one or two are smaller and more packed to fit in the place.

Also about borders, and I'm not sure and too lazy to check it now, but I recall some countries on there being in process to enter EU maybe? If it would happen soon and SCS doesn't map that zone until 2022 or 2023; there's a possibility that border checks could be less an issue on part of that map zone.

About the "density" and too many roads and too many cities, there's NO problem at all. In general terms, West Balkans isn't more dense packed than other zones already mapped. Wanna see something denser (in number of towns and roads) till the extreme? Take a look of the Spanish map in Galicia (North western corner, as if Portugal was extended all to the north till the sea). That corner of Spain holds almost half the ZIP codes of the whole country. You thrown a stone from a town and it lands on another town. And what will happen? Like in all DLC, we will have roughly 1 of each 350 units of IRL content; so there will always be people missing something. And if that means that some of the smaller countries will be at most 2 cities and 1 town, so it will be. Consider the Kaliningrad Oblast (larger than Kosovo and Montenegro and close to Slovenia in size) as an example.

About splitting Turkey, I didn't say it's technically a problem. I said that will cause complains on some players. I said so when IvanKuz seemed to suggest that Iberia has forcefully to be done in a single shot (it doesn't, but was SCS final decision) while he saw no problems in splitting Turkey. The way I see it, both cases are the same and that's why I made that analogy.

Regards

worldisblack

#1314 Post by worldisblack » 27 Aug 2020 05:38

As a Turkish player, i see no problem to divide Anatolia in game. But then, where they do stop creating? For example, if SCS decide to build western parts of Turkey, which cities will include? Cities such Kayseri, Adana, Mersin and Samsun is really biggest ones and have really large industrial zones, ports, etc. But those are located, like, central Anatolia. Are we gonna see only Aegean cities like Bursa-İzmir-Aydın-Muğla-maybe Antalya, or we gonna see half of Anatolia, reaching through Samsun-Kayseri-Adana Mersin? I think that could be the question then.
Adana Logistics TB site: https://trucksbook.eu/company/65722
Adana Logistics TMP site: https://truckersmp.com/vtc/9892

jackalnxt

#1315 Post by jackalnxt » 27 Aug 2020 06:26

A theoretical Aegean Turkey could include the Asian part of Istanbul and the coastal cities you mentioned. Then, for the final DLC (which will presumably come much later), they can have Ankara and the rest. Alternatively, you can include Ankara in the Aegean DLC, then the other cities will either be an Anatolia DLC, or part of a Caucasus DLC. Final alternative, assuming we don't get the Aegean Turkey DLC, is to just do the Asian part in one go, though personally I would prefer the Aegean idea.

@Some newbie driver No one from that region is joining the EU in the next 5 years minimum. I can promise you that. And it wouldn't matter because they would also need to join the Schengen area to have no borders.

@krmarci I can see some of those cities that are close to the capital being made defacto parts of the city. But again that closeness to everything... I don't envy the mapper who is going to be in charge of that at all. And on the Kosovo issue, I'd say it's pretty much guaranteed to be in or they wouldn't have had a research topic about it. Besides, I think people overestimate the reaction to its inclusion. Worst case scenario is that they get a few negative reviews on Steam. But I doubt uncle Dundee from Australia will be deterred from purchasing ETS2 by reading "SCS is supporting Greater Albanian propaganda!" from someone who has 600hrs on the game.

Sametbey2

#1316 Post by Sametbey2 » 27 Aug 2020 06:46

I think it could be an Anatolia DLC. Greece may come with other Balkan countries. I think this idea makes a lot more sense. major Asian part of Turkey is a huge bonus for this game. If done this way, Turkey could take place after completion of Europe.

Some newbie driver

#1317 Post by Some newbie driver » 27 Aug 2020 07:49

Thanks for the info @jackalnxt

dahaka

#1318 Post by dahaka » 27 Aug 2020 13:58

I believe Turkey should be a DLC of its own. It's absolutely massive, and would be nice to have it as a whole, because it also makes for an interesting and challenging drive, not to mention scenic.

LegoTechnicFanBoi

#1319 Post by LegoTechnicFanBoi » 28 Aug 2020 15:17

i want to see black sea and aegean regions of Turkey in ETS 2

and i want to drive in my home province.

dsf.fernando

#1320 Post by dsf.fernando » 28 Aug 2020 16:42

worldisblack wrote:
27 Aug 2020 05:38
As a Turkish player, i see no problem to divide Anatolia in game. But then, where they do stop creating? For example, if SCS decide to build western parts of Turkey, which cities will include? Cities such Kayseri, Adana, Mersin and Samsun is really biggest ones and have really large industrial zones, ports, etc. But those are located, like, central Anatolia. Are we gonna see only Aegean cities like Bursa-İzmir-Aydın-Muğla-maybe Antalya, or we gonna see half of Anatolia, reaching through Samsun-Kayseri-Adana Mersin? I think that could be the question then.
I think three options are avaliable:
1 - Aegean DLC: Turkey is fully added along Greece and Cyprus
2 - Aegean and Anatolia: same as Aegean, but Turkey is split in two, with the western part up to Ankara coming with Greece and the rest coming in the Anatolia DLC
3- 3 DLCs: Aegean is made of Greece, Cyprus and Turkey up to Antalya / Eskisehir; Anatolia is Turkey from Antalya to Trabzon. The final DLC, named Caucasus, is made of the rest of eastern Turkey (some definitions of "Caucasus" include territory in northeastern Turkey) plus Armenia, Azerbaijan and southeastern Russia
Polytechnic of Leiria - Portugal - Undergraduate in Games and Multimedia - Year 2 (para a tristeza dos bacanos)
#AddLeiria to the Iberia DLC

Return to “General discussion about the game”