Poll: Which area should SCS add to ETS2 after Iberia?

Which area should SCS add to ETS2 next?

Western Balkan (Croatia, Serbia, B+H, Albania, Slovenia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Greece)
45%
Further East (Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova)
8%
More of Turkey
7%
Expand Scandinavia
20%
More of Russia
6%
Ireland
10%
Iceland
1%
(Parts of) North Africa
2%

Total votes: 908

dahaka

Re: Poll: Which area should SCS add to ETS2 after Iberia?

#1531 Post by dahaka » 03 Dec 2020 21:38

That would be a mistake though. You see ferries in trucking are very convenient, because time spent on them, counts as break time for the driver. Even the short routes, Igoumenitsa to Brindisi takes about 9 hrs, so the drivers can have their daily rest time there, and as soon as the ferry docks, start driving immediately. Now if you are in Athens, and you are not in an extreme hurry, you are much better off taking the ferry from Patra. Igoumenitsa from Athens is 470 kms, plus you have to cross the Rio bridge, which costs you like 60 euros, plus pay all the tolls between Patra and Igoumenitsa that you wouldnt otherwise, plus the 280 extra kms from Patra to Igoumenitsa, which in trucking times translates to 3+ hours of driving. So if you have docked in the morning at Patra, done your deliveries around Athens, then you have loaded up and want to sail to Italy, you can choose to quickly go to Patra and take the ferry, or you can choose to do the extra driving to Igoumenitsa, at which point you have missed the ferry, and you can only sail next day, leaving you with one whole day wasted, plus a lot of extra expenses.

I don't really know why "ferry hoping" is even a problem in a driving simulator, I mean who plays a driving simulator just to avoid driving? Makes no sense. Anyways, if it's such a huge concern, they could make a ferry route from Patra to Brindisi and one to Ancona, while Igoumenitsa would have the ferry routes to Bari and Venice.

Both are important ports though, and a MUST to have them in game. That is, if we want realism.

IvanKuz

#1532 Post by IvanKuz » 03 Dec 2020 22:08

dahaka wrote:
03 Dec 2020 00:47
As for the cities, a similar approach to Corsica could be taken, and I believe it would satisfy most of the players.
In terms of density, sure. But that's why I think the Balkans are going to be such a challenge to map out, to the point where splitting it in two could be an option. Being a relatively small island with 6 marked towns, Corsica is packed much more densely than the rest of the game map. Most places don't need that kind of density, but I believe quite a few areas in the Balkans do, due to the small sizes (especially Kosovo and Montenegro) or narrow stretches (Croatian coast) of some countries and the closeness of some cities to each other (Trieste/Koper, Tirana/Durres) or to the existing content (Going East makes placement of Osijek and Subotica somewhat troublesome, and Timisoara and Pernik imposing on nearby borders doesn't help things either). So the entire Balkan region in the game might actually end up having a much higher km and city count than some area of the same size elsewhere on the map. If SCS are able to do the whole thing as one DLC without sacrificing too much content - then great, sure! I just fear that in that scenario too much stuff would end up being excluded compared to if it was two DLCs.

As for your map of Greece, I like it a lot. I'm gonna steal some of it for my concept map. To be honest, I don't have a lot of hope for Crete being included (if Gotland and Saarema are any indication), but I'd definitely love it if it was. However, I think you went a bit overboard with the amount of ferries to Italy. The game usually doesn't seem to include all possible ferry routes, so I don't really expect more than 2 ports in Italy.
Check out my ETS2 concept map that I'm sometimes working on!

dahaka

#1533 Post by dahaka » 03 Dec 2020 23:21

Yes, indeed, what happens is the ferry always starts from Italy, goes to Igoumenitsa, then goes to Patra. From Greece it always starts from Patra, goes to Igoumenitsa, then to the Italian destination. I didn't know how to depict this.

Solution is easy though, as I wrote above: Patra - Brindisi and Patra - Ancona, then Igoumenitsa - Bari and Igoumenitsa - Venice.

jackalnxt

#1534 Post by jackalnxt » 04 Dec 2020 09:03

dahaka wrote:
03 Dec 2020 15:49
You believe they would first add Greece and Albania and only afterwards add the ex-Yugoslavian countries?
Yes, I truly believe there is no chance of Greece being set aside. They are either going to come with a full Western Balkans DLC, or separate but Greece is coming first. The main reason is simple: marketability. Why do you think Istanbul was added to RttBS? We can talk about the beautiful Croatian beaches until the cows come home, but, at the end of the day, if you poll the customer base and ask them to choose between Yugoslavia and Greece, guess who is getting chosen.

Also, Greece will include a ferry link to Italy. This immediately solves the major issue of not enough ways to reach RttBS. And if you include Albania, then you get even more ferry possibilities. And if that's not enough, we can always throw in some Aegean Turkey and done.

krmarci

#1535 Post by krmarci » 04 Dec 2020 11:16

jackalnxt wrote:
04 Dec 2020 09:03
[...] if you poll the customer base and ask them to choose between Yugoslavia and Greece, guess who is getting chosen. [...]
Let's separate the two areas at the next poll reset, and find out what the forum thinks...

xXCARL1992Xx

#1536 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 04 Dec 2020 11:28

it can be reset right now, SCS already showed what will come after Iberia
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |

krmarci

#1537 Post by krmarci » 04 Dec 2020 12:03

@xXCARL1992Xx We have pretty good guesses, but they are only teasers. Let's wait for the official announcement.

xXCARL1992Xx

#1538 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 04 Dec 2020 12:05

this thread is about what to add after Iberia (wich is senseless anyway because it is already planed out for at least 3 years) and they showed it already, even if they didnt name it and people already found some of the places, so we can pretty much say where it is roughly and dont need to speculate still
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |

IvanKuz

#1539 Post by IvanKuz » 07 Dec 2020 16:32

I'd suggest waiting until we know what exactly will be included in the next DLC before resetting the poll.
dahaka wrote:
03 Dec 2020 23:21
Solution is easy though, as I wrote above: Patra - Brindisi and Patra - Ancona, then Igoumenitsa - Bari and Igoumenitsa - Venice.
One little problem is that only Bari has a placeholder for the ferry port from what I recall. Ancona can be expanded to accommodate it as well, but some scenery will have to be moved. Entirely possible, but somewhat less likely to happen. Venice I think is unlikely to be touched at all, unless they decide to rebuild it completely (it still has its base map layout, so a complete rework would be nice).
Check out my ETS2 concept map that I'm sometimes working on!

Some newbie driver

#1540 Post by Some newbie driver » 07 Dec 2020 17:31

Venice has already a ferry terminal, just that it has a tiny old ugly ferry on it as decoration instead of a new one that could be also actively used.

Return to “General discussion about the game”