EU Copyright Law 2018 - Modding of ETS2

cip

Re: EU Copyright Law 2018 - Modding of ETS2

#211 Post by cip » 13 Sep 2018 11:07

I have seen this bullshit that starts to be serious but I'll say we should not worry. here we play legally a game and use mods for which nobody will claim any copyrights except the modders! by contrary, I would say this law is helping the mod owners against thieves :lol:
Ok, maybe truck and trailer manufacturers? what to do with the models, trucks, Ai vehicles and trailers? we can live without the God damn trucks, or modders could just rename them like Adibas did to look like Adidas :lol: :lol: :lol: with Ai traffic it's even easier, rename it and remove the logo so problem solved, trailers? really have to get an original name, I don't even know what a Krone trailer is, it can be called no matter what :P
but I trust we misunderstand this law and in reality SCS will be much less affected than we believe now ;) this law is meant to protect the work of the artists, musicians, film makers, writers, etc that want to get their work paid an not spread free over the internet illegally on legal websites. if you want this translated on a smaller scale, the modders are the artists and this law will force ets2.lt website to pay fees for mods authors, banning thieves, etc of course this will not happen it's just an example ;)
but why truck manufacturers should complain for copyrights since their income is from selling that truck???? truck modders don't make real trucks and sell them as trucks, they make a 3D truck that look like their trucks and which don't generate any damage to that manufacturer, by contrary it makes free publicity... :lol: that's the difference between an artist and truck manufacturer... :lol:

But who will complain for weather mods, God maybe? :lol: or for the excellent work of Damian in his graphic mod? or traffic density mods? sound mods (unless an artist produced the sound himself with his throat :lol: ), economy mods? map mods??? will a country be against having its territory represented in a game? maybe Afganistan will be against :lol:
so now, why SCS should close mods and risk their future??? would you really kill the horse for a broken leg ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

to be 100% safe probably SCS could create an open source platform and allow only verified content, if a complaint is received it could obey the rules, remove it and that's it!
or even better, leave it as it is with Steam workshop mods for which Steam should be responsible for their content and for non-steam mods is not the business of SCS or Steam, but rather websites like Sharemods, ets2.lt, etc
anyway, if this shit happens, most of us will play Steam offline with last game version allowing mods, with no updates and no new DLCs... If the old versions of the game will not be available I will make already a back-up of the last game version and all my mods ;)
Enjoy driving with my Real Traffic Density for ETS2 and ATS
Enjoy listening my Real Ai Traffic FMOD Sounds for ETS2 and ATS
currently on strike :D beta testing and bug reports are temporarily suspended from my activity until further decisions :lol:

Trident R.S.

#212 Post by Trident R.S. » 13 Sep 2018 11:27

Well said ;)

xyzan

#213 Post by xyzan » 13 Sep 2018 11:51

I agree, that it depends on the fact, who will be sued in court for legality. As I can read this, it sounds (at least I understand it like this) that not scs will be sued, but hosting provders. So, sharemods, and other sites, including steam workshop. If that will be Steam who will be responsible to check content legality, then for sure Steam Workshop will stop be supported by Steam.

Honestly, I think that this law will be voted yes over time. We can see how determined they are, by putting it again for voting with some changes. It will will be pushed hard.

Photonic

#214 Post by Photonic » 13 Sep 2018 12:19

Maybe if we use Russian host providers, it will be more difficult for the mods to be taken down.

cip

#215 Post by cip » 13 Sep 2018 12:57

absolutely SCS should not worry about anything here! they created a licensed game and left it open for modding, so that people could improve it in some aspects and add more personalized stuff (in the same way as Linux) that's not at all forbidden by any law and will never be! only Steam workshop may suffer so it is expected to be shut down at one point or content seriously checked, the same for additional mod websites.
as for the users we can still use any content that we find on internet even if we need to visit Russian well hidden websites :lol:
Enjoy driving with my Real Traffic Density for ETS2 and ATS
Enjoy listening my Real Ai Traffic FMOD Sounds for ETS2 and ATS
currently on strike :D beta testing and bug reports are temporarily suspended from my activity until further decisions :lol:

Scaniadriver1

#216 Post by Scaniadriver1 » 13 Sep 2018 12:59

Russian sites... Hmm could be a good idea if we have to go that way lol

RTobi

#217 Post by RTobi » 16 Sep 2018 11:12

Since SCS is Czech I hope that they resist to any of the possibly worst coming laws. Recently the entire Czech government for example voted against the new laws of the useless EU gun ban. At least they stand up and hold up against some of the EU bs...

angrybirdseller

#218 Post by angrybirdseller » 16 Sep 2018 15:22

Look at tax code nobody pays top rate of 40% or 60% always deductions, loopholes, write-offs available.

Centrino2
Global moderator

#219 Post by Centrino2 » 22 Sep 2018 18:57

I tell ya one thing, I recently had to do a report on these EU laws and I would say that if their laws mess with things on the US side or anywhere else where their laws do not apply, I tell the EU to shove their world controlling laws right up their *** hopefully the internet can be split in two so we can keep our crazy memes and relaxed YouTube copyright bots and not have to deal with foreign EU Image

Perhaps SCS should consider moving out of EU territory, New York should be a nice adjustment, nice and cramped with fiber optic speeds (at least they should have fiber optic up there).

JoaoRabit

#220 Post by JoaoRabit » 22 Sep 2018 19:02

How is cramped a good thing?
ImageImageImage

Return to “General discussion about the game”