Hi-End Configuration Optimization

room217au

Hi-End Configuration Optimization

#1 Post by room217au » 02 Oct 2018 16:23

As suggested by Max, This is a discussion about how we can squeeze more out of our computers that have a little more horsepower to play with.
Those who own only ATS or only ETS2 are equally welcome.
Feel free to post techniques that you've found useful.

IMPORTANT: As with any user-config parameters, they are used at your own risk. Game crashes may occur. Most optimisation activity can be done through the Options in-game.
=======================================
Default values:
-mm_max_resource_size: 22
[in Megabytes. This is the memory allocation for any resource (Could be .pmg file or large .dds texture) If any of your mods' files are larger than 22Mb, the game simply allocates more 'blocks' of 22Mb.]
Maximal value: 100

-mm_max_tmp_buffers_size: 112
[Size of entire buffer array in Mb]
Maximal value: 1000
Calculations:
mm_max_tmp_buffers_size / mm_max_resource_size = no. of temporary loading buffers (Can be checked by looking at "Allocated X temporary loading buffer(s)" message at start of the log).
But, you would think that with, say, buffers_size of 500 and resource size of 50 would result in 10 loading buffers but it doesn't, it shows 9. This is because there is some additional overhead for each buffer.

My original settings were:
-mm_max_resource_size 80 and -mm_max_tmp_buffers_size 240

but as Max pointed out, this actually reduced the number of loading buffers. So I changed settings to:
-mm_max_resource_size 44 -mm_max_tmp_buffers_size 484
Resulting in 10 loading buffers instead of the default 5.

I believe this actually speeds up game loading and even though I don't use those big poly trucks anymore, even with 'standard' game models, the settings work great.
Usage:
1) Open the developer console in-game and type them directly. You will need to do this each time you play, afaik.
or
2) If you're a Steam user you can add them to your Launch Options by right-clicking the game in your Library, selecting "Settings" and then click the "Launch Options" button. This means the parameters are automatically included each time you play.
or
3)You can add them to your desktop shortcut by right-clicking it and select 'properties'. Add the parameters in the "Shortcut | Target" box. Thus:

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 227300 -nointro -unlimitedlog -rdevice dx11 -mm_max_resource_size 100 -mm_max_tmp_buffers_size 500 -homedir "D:\SCS\\"
Note double backslash at the end. This is important.
Thanks to @xXCARL1992Xx for this snippet.
And @Max for his explanation about the double backslash (Page 30, post #294)
Other Stuff:
* Read @cip's posts about traffic density and how to incorporate larger numbers of AI Traffic packs effectively.
* See Page 11, post #110 and read @MrTwisted's report on various buffer settings. Good info there.
* Read xXCARL1992Xx's posts about nvidia inspector and its various settings.
Important info from Max: (post #273, page 28)
Max wrote: 18 Jul 2019 21:05"as i wrote it is size of one buffer (max resource size) and size of whole buffers array (max tmp buffers). so the "count" of buffers is simple formula all buffers size divided by single buffer size (well, sometimes -1 because of some extra cost and rounding) .. :)

what is better? it depends. do you need to load big things or many of them fast (= at once)?
apparently, size of single buffer bigger than biggest resource is futile. default buffer size is 22M as our biggest texture has like ~20M. default size of whole buffer array is 112M which gives us 5 buffers for like 5 items asynchronously loading at single moment. if there is more of them needed, they must wait. if there is bigger item, warning is printed and game tries to allocate bigger buffer from heap (which may create slight lag).
so it depends on your mods - do you have bigger items (50M or 100M)? or need to load many of them at once (9 or 19)? ..
If any of the above information or quoting is incorrect, please let me know.
Last edited by room217au on 29 Oct 2019 12:43, edited 2 times in total.
If you suck at playing the trumpet, that's probably why.
room217au

Re: Hi-End Configuration Optimization

#2 Post by room217au » 02 Oct 2018 16:27

Earlier today it was suggested to me by SCS devs that using a couple of command-line parameters, namely: "-mm_max_resource_size" and "-mm_max_tmp_buffers_size" will help game performance when having big-poly trucks in my game.
The values I started with, and stayed with are -mm_max_resource_size 80 and -mm_max_tmp_buffers_size 240
This removed the "resource buffer" warnings from my game.log and gave me an improved gaming experience with higher fps while using the same graphics settings as I do with SCS trucks (ie. Ultra settings but without HDR on, 300% scaling)
Big win.
BenganJ

#3 Post by BenganJ » 02 Oct 2018 16:33

Okay, but what is the default values?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
System: Windows 8.1
Processor: Intel Core i7-4790@3.60GHz
Memory: 16GB
Graphics: ASUS GeForce GTX1660Ti
[ external image ]
room217au

#4 Post by room217au » 02 Oct 2018 16:38

22 and 112 respectively
jilech

#5 Post by jilech » 02 Oct 2018 16:39

@BenganJ
Komat wrote: 02 Oct 2018 08:11
room217au wrote: 02 Oct 2018 05:23 Will increasing buffer size remove warning about big-poly trucks 'breaking' the default buffer of 20Mb ??
That is another buffer. It's size can be changed by command line parameter -mm_max_resource_size (default 22) together with -mm_max_tmp_buffers_size (default 112) which together control how big the buffer will be and how many buffers there will be (basically mm_max_tmp_buffers_size / mm_max_resource_size)

As Max said, this is just optimization stuff important primarily for 32bit version of the game or low memory systems, the resource will still be loaded even if it exceeds the size.
Komat
SCS Software

#6 Post by Komat » 02 Oct 2018 16:48

Btw the values 80 and 240 increased size of the load buffer to while reduced total number of those buffers and thus number of assets which the game can be loading at once which might slow down the load. You can check the final number of buffers by inspecting the "Allocated X temporary loading buffer(s)" message at start of the log.
BenganJ

#7 Post by BenganJ » 02 Oct 2018 16:50

Thanx for the valuable info guys! Much appreciated!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
System: Windows 8.1
Processor: Intel Core i7-4790@3.60GHz
Memory: 16GB
Graphics: ASUS GeForce GTX1660Ti
[ external image ]
Chaezaa_v2

#8 Post by Chaezaa_v2 » 02 Oct 2018 17:35

I tried the suggested page size 15 and so far it looks like it worked. I had no crash or graphical glitches.

Based on MSI Afterburner the peak was 5,8 GB of used GPU RAM. I use custom graphic settings with the Nvidia Profile Inspector and not the ingame scaling or MLAA. I also use a ton of mods. I have to wait for the promods update in order to see how the game handles the big map with all available major map mods.

GPU: GTX 1080
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700
RAM: 16 GB
zippe

#9 Post by zippe » 02 Oct 2018 19:27

That sounds good, cool that we got this new configuration optimization from SCS :) will give it a try tomorow :)
genbrien

#10 Post by genbrien » 03 Oct 2018 00:31

do you think it could benefit my old gaming laptop with 12gb of ram and 3gb of vram?

Return to “General discussion about the game”