Hi-End Configuration Optimization

Some newbie driver

Re: Hi-End Configuration Optimization

#691 Post by Some newbie driver » 24 Sep 2021 13:48

- First create a regular shortcut
- Then, edit the properties
- In the "Shortcut" tab in the windows that appears, go to the "destination" value
- There would appear the route to where you have installed the game executable, that destination path is enclosed with quotes " "
- Write the extra parameters AFTER the closing quotes (AND leaving one blank space of separation from them)
plykkegaard

#692 Post by plykkegaard » 24 Sep 2021 14:15

Steam is a little diferent (no direct link to game executable)

Open Steam
Right-click on the game you want to create a shortcut
Choose manage -> add desktop shortcut
Change properties as suggested

[ external image ]

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
LoaderSaints

#693 Post by LoaderSaints » 24 Sep 2021 15:20

You could also just put the parameters directly into the launch options on Steam that are found under the properties tab which eliminates the need for an additional shortcut. That is if you wish to always use said parameters.
Some newbie driver

#694 Post by Some newbie driver » 24 Sep 2021 16:09

plykkegaard wrote: 24 Sep 2021 14:15Steam is a little diferent (no direct link to game executable)
You can use those URL shortcuts created the way you show or regular ones as I said. The shortcut will force the launch of Steam client first in minimized to tray mode and the game just later. Check it yourself and you will see it.

It's possible though that it doesn't work with some games by some reason I unknown; but regular shortcuts for all the games I play work fine for me. That way I can even bypass 2K additional launcher (that, for some weird reason, when I installed a DLC of one of their games, messed everything up if I use it to access the game... 2K style :roll: )

Regards
SquaredCircle

#695 Post by SquaredCircle » 26 Sep 2021 15:47

So I have made quite a few tests.
General setup: 4K with everything maxed out, including the "990,980"-vegetation LOD settings (as the only mod). Sync is set to 60FPS.
CPU is a 5930k (6c/6t) @4,5GHz, GPU is a GTX3080

Problem: In extreme situations (a few cities @ night), the framerate drops below 60 making the thing stutter.
Question: What to change if neither GPU nor CPU is maxed out in those situations?

I made scenarios for standard, bad and worst cases and tested CPU-load caused by the ETS-exe, GPU-load, FPS and GPU cap reason.
As we can't get significantly higher than a 3080 ATM, the question was if the CPU is the bottleneck. So I repeated tests with different under- and overclocks.
Findings were:
- even at CPU stock clocks (3.5GHz), 60FPS stable are doable in all but the worst case scenario (city from the Iberia DLC in nighttime), so we can focus only on that scenario
- FPS scales with CPU clock of the 5930k: 20FPS at 1,5GHz, 30FPS at 2.5GHz, 40FPS at 3.5GHz (stock), 45FPS at 4.5GHz(OC)
- CPU load > 30% can be seen in all scenarios - only in the worst case scenario it drops significantly lower to around 25%. Most interesting. I don't have any interpretation.
- I see a CPU load of around 32% VERY often - this seems to indicate that 2 cores (threads) are used more or less fully
- BUT CPU spikes up to 40% in VERY rare occasions, so there is "more" that the executable seems to utilize,
- I also changed sync to my monitor's default (100Hz) and obviously GPU load significantly went up (max. 80%). But now for the interesting thing: CPU load went up as well into the 40-45% region. Again, I don't have an interpretation.

Bottom line: As predicted, the CPU multithread-capacity will never be used but CPU performance of course matters a lot. My logical route to go CPU-wise would be 11600K or 5600X. As my framerate drops below 60 only in rare occasions, the machine is strictly for gaming and the aforementioned platforms are new to me (so a full buy-in), I'll do more testing with my other favourite game (rf2). If this also shows similar results, I'll most likely get a new PC (at the risk of still not getting all scenarios at 60 FPS).
In any way, I'll post updates of my personal quest for perfection here:-)
Some newbie driver

#696 Post by Some newbie driver » 26 Sep 2021 16:51

Granted your CPU is maxed. Or to be more precise, the game can't actually take more performance from your CPU than already does because of the lack of leveraging at full potential multiple core, as you find (a pity you had to waste time in all those tests, we should had warned you from the start and saved you the hassle).

About your upgrade, games or programs like SCS ones, relying mostly on a single core (for the moment, hopefully in mid-term changed) require exactly that: best performance on a single core. At this moment I thing the king is the last Intel i9 but as I see you are aiming to more rational cost/performance; I think probably the AMD one will perform better. Not sure, but I suggest you to check some comparative reviews (GamersNexus on Youtube has a good one with lots of analysis and comparisons with other CPU about the 5600X).

If you chose the AMD one, and seeing you have no problems fiddling with OC at least at entry setups; remember three general things about RAM:
- Better first to MATCH the CPU base clock speed with RAM speed (pretty useless to cranck more clock on the RAM, on the opposite than Intels)
- Focus on timings for any further improvement, not in RAM clock
- better fill the 4 slots than just taking 2 DIMMs (that's some weird behavior of newest AMD CPUS, not usual at all)

Also AMD has official tools (Ryzen Master) plus exist third-party auxiliary tools (search them on Internet, should be easy) to help tune the OC so you could squeeze the best performance for single core thus for SCS games.

If you chose the Intel path, as far as I know, there had been not so many changes since Intel core Gen 5. So, if you know how to deal with OC on your current computer, you know what to do with newer one in general terms.

Regards
Robinicus

#697 Post by Robinicus » 26 Sep 2021 17:05

Just as FYI - I have a i9-9820X with a 2080 Ti in one rig and a R7-2700X with a 2080 in the other and see negligible performance differences between them.

There is minimal improvement with OC, not nearly enough to even bother with and the same with messing with affinity....all the testing I did some time ago arrived at the conclusion that set the CPU to high priority for the titles, make sure there is nothing unnecessary running in the background and turn off the FPS meter....all it does is cause frustration
SquaredCircle

#698 Post by SquaredCircle » 28 Sep 2021 08:23

Guys, thanks a lot for your input - I have made comparable tests with other games and arrived at the decision to go the Socket 1200-route (11600k).
@Robinicus : That's exactly the point I was thinking of all the time: Will a more recent CPU/Platform make a difference that I will feel? The SC-Performance between the CPUs you mention is around 10%, the gap in my case should be 30%+
The minimum goal is to get rid of the stuttering in worst case scenarios (other than that the FPS counter does not matter to me)
If this can be reached, I'd for sure have more quality enhancements in mind (grass detail to 3, increase traffic LODs and mirror distance) - I'm sure there will be new limits to run into:-)
Will report back once the system is ordered and installed.
Madkine
Global moderator

#699 Post by Madkine » 28 Sep 2021 09:07

SquaredCircle wrote: 28 Sep 2021 08:23 grass detail to 3,
The game doesn't support grass detail of three and setting it to that can cause crashes. I believe it used to, but it was removed some time ago.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
SquaredCircle

#700 Post by SquaredCircle » 28 Sep 2021 09:20

Interesting info! It's still mentioned here:
https://roextended.ro/forum/viewtopic.p ... 1cf355b79c
The post has been updated in April so I guess there's something more to test:-)

Return to “General discussion about the game”