ETS2 teasers - consult your doctor before entering

TheTiger

Re: ETS2 teasers - consult your doctor before entering

#4931 Post by TheTiger » 12 May 2019 21:42

nothing too special with those signs... just changed the "xxxxxxx" with name of some cities with strikethrough.

jackalnxt

#4932 Post by jackalnxt » 12 May 2019 22:12

I imagine the Hungarian signs will be getting the same treatment soon.

MandelSoft
Beta tester

#4933 Post by MandelSoft » 13 May 2019 07:48

Actually, the following things have been improved on the signs in Scandinavia:
- Proportions of elements have been changed, like font sizes or route shield dimensions. Especially "diagram" signs have been greatly improved.
- Some signs have been completely redesigned, like all overhead gantries and motorway signs in Norway
- More local route numbers, especially in Sweden.
- More local names as well. No more signs pointing to just Oslo in all directions.
- Graphical elements like arrows and route shields have been revised
- Exit numbers are added
- Some old bugs have been fixed. There was one sign that was pointing to the E50 in Norway (which should be the E134) for years!
- No more black bags on the signs! Instead, just like in the new areas in Germany, the signs now display where the road is supposed to go to in real life, with the goal to improve immersion.
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

xyzan

#4934 Post by xyzan » 13 May 2019 08:01

Thanks for clarification, MandelSoft. :) It is good to know :) however I have few concerns.
MandelSoft wrote:
13 May 2019 07:48
- More local names as well. No more signs pointing to just Oslo in all directions.
Like what? Will it point to Marina, Port? I mean, it is usefull when they are pointing to game objects - so you can navigate with them. As placing information, that this exit leads to XXX district, where XXX is nowhere in a game actually make navigation impossible. As in real world it works, it does not in game.
MandelSoft wrote:
- No more black bags on the signs! Instead, just like in the new areas in Germany, the signs now display where the road is supposed to go to in real life, with the goal to improve immersion.
Similar to above. Fortunate, if they leads to non existent cities in game, then you won't be trying to navigate there. However, if unfortunately that road should lead to city of X, where X is the city that exists in ets map - then I'm consider it bad approach. I think that all signs should refer to the game cities, unleas it is completly unreachable - so, you will naver take that exit.

Trucker_Tommy

#4935 Post by Trucker_Tommy » 13 May 2019 08:51

@Mandelsoft this is great news. I believe like in ATS having proper signage for each country/State makes the whole driving experience alot more realistic & better. Is road signage being revamped in ETS2 as well?

MandelSoft
Beta tester

#4936 Post by MandelSoft » 13 May 2019 09:20

xyzan wrote:
13 May 2019 08:01
Like what? Will it point to Marina, Port? I mean, it is usefull when they are pointing to game objects - so you can navigate with them. As placing information, that this exit leads to XXX district, where XXX is nowhere in a game actually make navigation impossible. As in real world it works, it does not in game.
These names are used when there are no other sensible directions to navigate to. This was especially the case around Oslo, where just everything pointed to Oslo in all directions, so you have like 4 or 5 exits pointing to Oslo. I wanted to change that, so you could at least distinguish between the different city parts This is what I've done in the DLCs since Italy, and in Germany as well (the most extreme example is using the names of corridors instead of cities in St. Petersburg, since this is what they do in reality as well). So, instead of having Oslo everywhere, you know have signs pointing to:
- Sentrum (obviously)
- Sydhavna
- Ekeberg/Ryen
- Hjortens
- Billingstad
These should be recognisable to locals. The two big exceptions are Aarhus, Rødby and Drammen, which have a representation in-game, but are not cities on the map. They can be considered as waypoints, however, just like Huittinen, Valka/Valga, Nokia, Jüri and Sovetsk in the Baltic DLC, or Ferrara in the Italy DLC
MandelSoft wrote:
Similar to above. Fortunate, if they leads to non existent cities in game, then you won't be trying to navigate there. However, if unfortunately that road should lead to city of X, where X is the city that exists in ets map - then I'm consider it bad approach. I think that all signs should refer to the game cities, unleas it is completly unreachable - so, you will naver take that exit.
Well, the signs are taped off, so there is already a way to display that this road is closed. The tape is less intrusive than the black bag. There are some cases where in-game cities are used, but more often, other cities are displayed on the signs (i.e. Randers or Sundsvall).
Trucker_Tommy wrote:
13 May 2019 08:51
@Mandelsoft this is great news. I believe like in ATS having proper signage for each country/State makes the whole driving experience alot more realistic & better. Is road signage being revamped in ETS2 as well?
I can't tell. For Scandinavia, all signs were already so called "sign templates", which makes them easy to edit. But most signs in the base map and Going East areas are still based on an old system using overlay slots, and this is a very inflexible system. For these signs to be improved, one has to make new models, fonts and icons as well. This has been done for Germany and France, and this took quite some effort. Is SCS willing to do this for the other base countries as well? Only time will tell...
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

natjer3

#4937 Post by natjer3 » 13 May 2019 09:54

MandelSoft wrote:
Actually, the following things have been improved on the signs in Scandinavia:
- Proportions of elements have been changed, like font sizes or route shield dimensions. Especially "diagram" signs have been greatly improved.
- Some signs have been completely redesigned, like all overhead gantries and motorway signs in Norway
- More local route numbers, especially in Sweden.
- Graphical elements like arrows and route shields have been revised
- Exit numbers are added
- Some old bugs have been fixed. There was one sign that was pointing to the E50 in Norway (which should be the E134) for years!
Thanks for fixing the bugs. Before I had in fact posted bug reports about signs in which their text had a wrong position when using medium texture. For example, a sign towards Fredrikshavn was written like so:

Fredrikshav
n

I saw similar bugs in France which I had reported

viewtopic.php?f=235&t=259402

viewtopic.php?f=235&t=259403

viewtopic.php?f=235&t=259405

viewtopic.php?f=235&t=259417

Not sure if they were fixed.

Trucker_Tommy

#4938 Post by Trucker_Tommy » 13 May 2019 10:02

@Mandelsoft, I understand you can't say but I do hope you can. Also have you agreed on the next country in the base game to get some love once Germany is finished? I obviously know you can't say which one(s) yet.

supersobes
Global moderator

#4939 Post by supersobes » 13 May 2019 10:04

MandelSoft wrote:
Thanks for this, MandelSoft! I will definitely have a look at these new signs! I love road signage. :)
MandelSoft wrote:
13 May 2019 09:20
- Sentrum (obviously)
In my travels in ETS2, I noticed that in almost every country, there are signs that say Centrum, Sentrum, or Zentrum. Are these signs referring to the downtown area of a large city? How come they are so generic instead of calling out the city by name?
Scania trucks are the best, but the Peterbilts are good too.
Road signs are just as important as the road itself.

World of Trucks Profile | ATS Screenshots | ETS2 Screenshots | Forum Rules

jackalnxt

#4940 Post by jackalnxt » 13 May 2019 10:21

Yes, they point to the downtown area of the cities.

Return to “General discussion about the game”