ai truck on the highway

Some newbie driver
Posts: 5255
Joined: 12 Dec 2018 11:37

Re: ai truck on the highway

#11 Post by Some newbie driver » 23 Jan 2019 18:38

I know it for sure on Spanish roads, general driving rules here that every driver has to known (not only truckers). I'm almost sure for French driving rules (I know it for sure time ago, don't know if it has changed). Derived from some informal conversations with truck drivers I had, I realized that's also the case on Germany, Austria and Czech Republic at least.

If you ask me if I'm 100% sure and I've links to prove it, then the answer is no. I talked based in what I knew or what I thought I did was true. If you wish I could search for official driving rules on countries that publish them on French, Portuguese or English and see if it's still true. To have a better picture.

OlavEmil
Posts: 592
Joined: 24 Dec 2012 10:07
Location: Norway

Re: ai truck on the highway

#12 Post by OlavEmil » 23 Jan 2019 18:58

Some newbie driver wrote:
23 Jan 2019 18:38
If you wish I could search for official driving rules on countries that publish them on French, Portuguese or English and see if it's still true. To have a better picture.
Yes, that's exactly what I am looking for :) . I am not saying that what you say is not the case, I don't know, and those who have said this before have used sources that clearly did not say what they claimed they said.

I will say, though, I believe there is no Europe wide ban on trucks in lane 3+. Most countries in Europe have strict stay right pass left rules, though, which will make it very unusual for a truck to have any business in those lanes.

RudiRaser
Posts: 1453
Joined: 25 Nov 2016 20:53

Re: ai truck on the highway

#13 Post by RudiRaser » 23 Jan 2019 19:07

OlavEmil wrote:
23 Jan 2019 09:57
I am thinking about the claim of a general ban on trucks in the far left lane.

even if you find the rule, i don´t think that will work because of junctions like that.

Image

2 lane highway roads ends in 1 lane.

the issue is that the AI´s drive without any reason long time at the left lane, doesn´t matter how much lanes you have.

Valvejoodik
Posts: 83
Joined: 08 Nov 2018 19:15

Re: ai truck on the highway

#14 Post by Valvejoodik » 23 Jan 2019 20:19

Out of curiosity I (re)checked the Estonian traffic act. It states:

§ 45. Location of vehicle while driving
(5) A vehicle with the maximum speed of 40 kilometres per hour or that, for some other reason not depending on the traffic flow, cannot drive faster, must drive on the rightmost lane.
(8) If a carriageway outside a built-up area has several marked lanes on the side appropriate to the direction of traffic, the lanes on the left may be used only if the lanes on the right are occupied.

In general it says that all traffic (not only trucks) should use lanes on the right, keeping left lane clear for overtaking.

RudiRaser
Posts: 1453
Joined: 25 Nov 2016 20:53

Re: ai truck on the highway

#15 Post by RudiRaser » 23 Jan 2019 20:40

Valvejoodik wrote:
23 Jan 2019 20:19

In general it says that all traffic (not only trucks) should use lanes on the right, keeping left lane clear for overtaking.
same in germany, we call it -> rechtsfahrgebot.
if the police see that you drive all the time at left (or middle) lane for no reason, they can give you a ticket.

User avatar
CobraBlue6
Posts: 1740
Joined: 28 Mar 2015 01:45
Location: Hertfordshire, UK

Re: ai truck on the highway

#16 Post by CobraBlue6 » 23 Jan 2019 21:10

In the UK trucks are not permitted to use the 3rd lane on a motorway. Here's the relevant rule from the UK Highway Code. No. 265 https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/lane-discipline.html

Some newbie driver
Posts: 5255
Joined: 12 Dec 2018 11:37

Re: ai truck on the highway

#17 Post by Some newbie driver » 23 Jan 2019 21:49

OlavEmil wrote:
23 Jan 2019 18:58
Yes, that's exactly what I am looking for :) . I am not saying that what you say is not the case, I don't know, and those who have said this before have used sources that clearly did not say what they claimed they said.
That's the link to the road traffic regulations applied on Spain (obviously, in Spanish): http://www.dgt.es/Galerias/seguridad-vi ... ico184.pdf

There had been some modifications on last January the 1st, but not on the part of this topic. The 32th article states that non-car vehicles have to drive on the rightmost lane by default. In case the road has 3+ lanes, the non-car vehicles can use the second lane if necessary if they don't hinder the progress of another vehicle that follows. ONLY the second lane. Third or more lanes on roads are forbidden for non-car vehicles.

Article 33th is about multiple-lane streets. In that case, any kind of vehicle can and should use any lane based on which one fits better for its destination. But that's only for urban streets, no for highway/main roads embedded in urban environments neither for any kind of road outside urban zones.

Regards

User avatar
Trident R.S.
Posts: 904
Joined: 29 Oct 2014 13:10
Location: Italian alps

Re: ai truck on the highway

#18 Post by Trident R.S. » 24 Jan 2019 13:23

RudiRaser wrote:
23 Jan 2019 20:40

same in germany, we call it -> rechtsfahrgebot.
if the police see that you drive all the time at left (or middle) lane for no reason, they can give you a ticket.
Legally is the same thing in italy.
In fact, most car "steering wheel holders" think the right lane is only for trucks (even if the car driver ride at 75 km/h :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: ).

Some newbie driver
Posts: 5255
Joined: 12 Dec 2018 11:37

Re: ai truck on the highway

#19 Post by Some newbie driver » 24 Jan 2019 13:44

@Trident R.S. that kind of drivers are a plague everywhere. Unfortunately, they are lucky and don't get the police "attentions" they deserve. :evil:

User avatar
AoD_Lexandro
Posts: 317
Joined: 14 Sep 2018 21:27
Contact:

Re: ai truck on the highway

#20 Post by AoD_Lexandro » 26 Jan 2019 13:30

"Lane hogging" is a known issue across the globe. In the UK it happens all the time because of two factors;

1.) The UK driving test does not in any way involve Motorway/Highway rules or driving
2.) People are stupid and/or don't read the highway code, instead rely on guesswork and hearsay.

Post Reply

Return to “General discussion about the game”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cemail Cebeci, forge, ItzDannio25, miguelvehe99, patrick31337, Taburetka_ and 11 guests