Feedback on the Tobii integration

Mike_F

Re: Feedback on the Tobii integration

#11 Post by Mike_F » 17 Oct 2019 21:46

@Jonas_Tobii : With the velcro it may of been the hook and loop was not rated for the weight, as one side would slip down and off. Yet this is not a large and heavy item. The thing I do notice the most is that the cord likes to pull the tracking bar down. Right now I have the cable looped around the monitor stand to help take up the slack and strain, as the CPU - and hub switches - are on the floor. Even with the monitor stand reducing the drag that the cable provides, I still find the right side sagging down because of where the cable enters the tracking bar.

I do not care for Micro$oft Windoze, yet I use it because the best email management program that I have found to date runs on it, along with a few other games that I play. Because of that I remove a lot from Windoze, as much as I can, and try doing just a local sing-in, not Hello, and I don't use Contra, OneDrive, Bing, or a bunch of other Micro$oft bloat ware. I prefer Linux (Mint is my current version, yet I have enjoyed compiling my own version with Gentoo, and of course I have given Ubunto a go, along with a few others), and a few games I play work on that, along with the office productivity suite software. As I don't play any keyboard only games, and don't care for Micro$oft, using the Tobii 4C for anything else in Windoze is not very likely. And I do not play the games on the smaller 27 inch monitor, as I have the steering wheel and flight sticks set up on the 32" curved monitor.

I will be more than happy when you are able to inform me of a way to mount this to a curved 32 inch monitor. I might be able to slide the racing chair with wheel and peddles under the cheap desk holding the monitor and keyboard, to get it a bit closer than 40 inches from my eyes.
Press any key . . . NO, NOT THAT ONE!

ETS2 and ATS -gone vanilla with both
My World of Trucks profile

DIY computer with Ryzen 5-2600, 16GB RAM, M.2 (dual boot - Mint 19 & W10 home) and 2*SATA III SSDs, GTX 1070 driving 32" curved 1440p
Jonas_Tobii

#12 Post by Jonas_Tobii » 21 Oct 2019 09:49

ArikTheBuilder wrote: 17 Oct 2019 18:20 Sometimes, little turns with my head cause "bumps" - too fast transition out of a sudden.
I confirgure the settings to improve that but not too much success; however, it's not such critical compared to the whole great experience I get, but it's something that would be nice to be improved a bit.
Thanks for getting back to me!
I'll do some testing as well and forward the feedback to the team. If you turn your head so much it loses track of you that will cause big lags in the head tracking as it has to reacquire your head again.
Other than that your fps in the game could get lower if you look around very quickly.

Have you seen any number on the FPS as the lags come, and do you have a number on normal fps compared to when it's stuttering?
Checking to see if there's any correlation between fps drops and the stuttering.

@Mike_F

I used to run Gentoo myself on my server for many years so I'm very familiar with that :)
If you're not interested in using any other features you, of course, don't have to. I just want to highlight that there's more features available.

I'm currently looking for a picture of how we have mounted them at events. I couldn't find any on my phone or our camera but I'm checking with other people from the team. I'll get back to you with one when I do.
We've attached one part of the velcro to the bottom of the screen. The other part is attached to the top of the eye tracker, using the full length of the device. Mind the lines on top of it though. They're needed for the display setup. If you cover then you could extend them with a pen and get small markers on the top front of the tracker.
Last edited by supersobes on 27 Oct 2019 19:45, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed quote [Forum rule 2.4]
Jonas
Community Manager
Tobii Gaming

Tobii Support
ArikTheBuilder

#13 Post by ArikTheBuilder » 21 Oct 2019 10:00

@Jonas_Tobii I see what you mean but perhaps it's not what causes those, I just do little head turns to look for incoming traffic at an intersection and sometimes it makes sudden view turns in case you get me.👌
ERN developer.
Jonas_Tobii

#14 Post by Jonas_Tobii » 23 Oct 2019 14:14

@ArikTheBuilder

Alright, perfect! Thanks for taking the time to give us feedback :D

@Mike_F I found a colleague with a low res picture on his ultra widescreen with a 4C attached with velcro.
[ external image ]
Last edited by supersobes on 27 Oct 2019 19:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed quote [Forum rule 2.4]
Jonas
Community Manager
Tobii Gaming

Tobii Support
Mike_F

#15 Post by Mike_F » 26 Oct 2019 01:23

@Jonas_Tobii If I understand you correctly, instead of attaching the velco strips to the front of the monitor bezel like the magnets, I attach it to the bottom, and then to the top of the 4C. That might work for me, and if I do manage to get my racing seat with peddles and wheel under the desk holding the monitor and keyboard I might be in range. I will give that a try in the next two weeks.

The main thing I do not care for with Gentoo is that you need a working device with a web browser to read the manual while working on the machine that is to get the installation. I loved the idea that I could customize it to my hardware, and not have to tell it to look through 50 or 500 drivers to find the best one for my (insert hardware item here).
Press any key . . . NO, NOT THAT ONE!

ETS2 and ATS -gone vanilla with both
My World of Trucks profile

DIY computer with Ryzen 5-2600, 16GB RAM, M.2 (dual boot - Mint 19 & W10 home) and 2*SATA III SSDs, GTX 1070 driving 32" curved 1440p
DTC

#16 Post by DTC » 27 Oct 2019 19:31

To give a other answer about using tobii eyetracking:
What i don't get working is looking outside the window to the rear when i want to park. i dont mind due the fact i use mirrors always but sometimes its handy to look out the window just like trackir to see if things go right.
Jonas_Tobii

#17 Post by Jonas_Tobii » 29 Oct 2019 08:21

Mike_F wrote: 26 Oct 2019 01:23 @Jonas_Tobii If I understand you correctly, instead of attaching the velcro strips to the front of the monitor bezel like the magnets, I attach it to the bottom, and then to the top of the 4C. That might work for me, and if I do manage to get my racing seat with peddles and wheel under the desk holding the monitor and keyboard I might be in range. I will give that a try in the next two weeks.

The main thing I do not care for with Gentoo is that you need a working device with a web browser to read the manual while working on the machine that is to get the installation. I loved the idea that I could customize it to my hardware, and not have to tell it to look through 50 or 500 drivers to find the best one for my (insert hardware item here).
Yep, exactly!
Let me know how it goes compared to the old solution :)

I've mainly used SSH to communicated with my machine as it was a server. Hence it had no monitor plugged in. Eventually, I went back to Windows to be able to run more game servers. Linux servers in general got really bad support.

Adrelina wrote: 27 Oct 2019 19:31 To give a other answer about using tobii eyetracking:
What i don't get working is looking outside the window to the rear when i want to park. i dont mind due the fact i use mirrors always but sometimes its handy to look out the window just like trackir to see if things go right.
That's from what I've understood a feature unique to TrackIR. When you turn your head to the driver door window so much it loses tracking, you automatically look outside the window. We don't have any similar feature today, but if it is something the community really wants, we can take a look. With eye tracking we see where you're looking and that can really open doors for new features in general 👀
Jonas
Community Manager
Tobii Gaming

Tobii Support
ArikTheBuilder

#18 Post by ArikTheBuilder » 29 Oct 2019 15:00

Yes it's annoying for me sometimes as well when I try to look outside while reverse parking etc
ERN developer.
Underscore_101_

#19 Post by Underscore_101_ » 14 Nov 2019 21:27

Made a post about this last week, but deleted it shortly after cause I threw the device in the trash after having bought it the day before, setting it up was that frustrating.
But since I couldn't stand the waste of my hard earned money I took it out again, cleaned it up and to my surprise it was still working, have been fiddling with it since then, it's still not perfect though, don't think I need to elaborate on the hassle it is to set up.

Other than that, there is one thing that i'd like to see in the workings of the system specifically for ets2 and ats,.. depending on which side of the road someone drives,... setting different end points for left and right.
For example, I drive on the right side of the road, I have the end point to just about seeing the whole right side window which is more than enough to see the mirror and oncoming traffic, and not go beyond the mirror and see the inside of the cabin part behind me when I turn my head, but when I look left it's just not enough to see oncoming traffic, so it would be nice if I could keep the same angle one way, but a bit further the other way, hope that makes sense :-)

Not so much game specific, but the other day I had some heating problems in my house, and wore a hoodie to keep warm a bit, the head tracking didn't work very well then.

I've not read all the posts before me, but a few pre-set options to prevent too much fiddling would be nice, personally I don't need to look up and down in the game, so just a preset for horizontal (and smooth) rotation would be nice (with options for end points as mentioned before :-) .

Edit: forgot something, before the eye tracker I used my mouse to look left and right, without warning that was taken over by the eye tracker, which makes sense, but it would be nice if the mouse would keep the same settings it had and over rule the eye tracker when needed, i'd still like to use the mouse for leaning out the window, but at the same time have the eye tracker limited to a point before that, as I mentioned above, with the eye tracker I just want to see mirrors and oncoming traffic, nothing beyond that angle of view.
w0nd

#20 Post by w0nd » 16 Nov 2019 03:43

I received Tobii a few days ago and was really curious how it compares to my TrackIR.

I feel the TrackIR is much preciser and smoother. It allows for better control of your sight with head movement. The downside is that you need to wear a hat (the headset dongle would not fit) which I don't really appreciate.

Having the luxury of not wearing a hat and still being able to direct the screen through head movement is really a nice feature.
I played around with the settings in ETS2 but still not sure I am satisfied. Eye-tracking is minimalistic - even with the response and speed settings up it is just minimum movement.
Head tracking is decent but at times it gets really jittery when you look in one direction and move the other etc
I believe I might have to tweak around the settings a bit further.

Question: I am reading from additional software which should be deactivated - all I have ist the Tobii software installed - am I missing a part?
Negative: It is a flimsy device held with some sticker to your monitor (or whatever solution you come up with) but you have a super heavy USB cable attached (coming out on the right side of the device) which cannot be exchanged. In addition, is not very flexible - i have my USB hub and PC on the left side of my monitor - meaning I need to bend around the USB cable behind the monitor - because the cable is heavy and not flexible it pushes the Tobii off its position. Need to glue the cable along the monitor frame with scotch tape to prevent Tobii getting pushed out of position. Less than optimal solution.

Return to “General discussion about the game”