Introduction video to the settings for Tobii Eye Tracker 4C/5. Share your favorite settings!

Jonas_Tobii

Introduction video to the settings for Tobii Eye Tracker 4C/5. Share your favorite settings!

#1 Post by Jonas_Tobii » 12 Feb 2020 14:31

Hi everyone!

We've heard your feedback and the Tobii Settings are indeed quite overwhelming at first. We've released a video going through each setting and showing what the effect of each slider is.
You can find timestamps in the video description to jump to each setting. Hit the YouTube button in the bottom right corner which should be here ☝. But first you have to hit the play button, then to go to YouTube directly and see the video description with the timestamps over there.

We're also very curious to hear what your favorite settings are. Reply and help out your fellow eye tracker owners to find what works best for them.
Below you find all the default settings in the code tag. Copy that and make the settings you've changed red to make it easier to see.

Code: Select all

Extended View: On
Head Track Mode: Direct
Auto-Centre: Off
Enable Position (experimental): Off
Enable Roll (experimental): Off

Gaze View Responsiveness: 50%
Gaze Tracking Speed: 5.0
Gaze Exponent: 2.00
Gaze Inflection Point: 0.80
Gaze Start Point: 0.00 
Gaze End Point: 1.00
Maximal Gaze Angle: 25 degrees

Head View Responsiveness: 100%
Head Tracking Ratio: 7.5
Head Tracking Exponent: 1.00
Head Tracking Inflection Point: 0.51
Head Tracking Start Point: 0.02
Head Tracking End Point: 1.00
Yaw Multiplier: 1.00
Pitch Multiplier: 1.00

Auto-Pause: Disabled

Reset Head (Head tracking)
Pause Extended View (experimental)
Example:______________________________________________________________________________

I only changed these settings and now it's bonkers. ! 🚚💨

Monitor: 24" 16:9

Gaze View Responsiveness: 50%
Gaze Tracking Speed: 5.0
Gaze Exponent: 2.00
Gaze Inflection Point: 0.80
Gaze End Point: 1.00
Maximal Gaze Angle: 25 degrees

Head Tracking Ratio: 8.0
Head Tracking Inflection Point: 0.70
Head Tracking Start Point: 0.02
Pitch Multiplier: 1.00

Reset Head (Head tracking): Hotkey X 👉 This feature is really neat if I want to reset the head tracking
Pause Extended View (experimental): Hotkey X 👉 I couldn't survive without this feature. It's so nice just to toggle it off when I don't need it. Perfect when I'm streaming and looking over at chat

End of Example______________________________________________________________________________

Note your monitor size and aspect ratio can make the settings feel different from other users if they're not the same.

If you have any additional questions let me know and feel free to share your own settings. We would love to see what settings you prefer!
Last edited by Jonas_Tobii on 31 Aug 2020 12:11, edited 1 time in total.
Jonas
Community Manager
Tobii Gaming

Tobii Support
Underscore_101_

Re: Introduction video to the settings for Tobii Eye Tracker 4C. Share your favorite settings!

#2 Post by Underscore_101_ » 13 Feb 2020 12:07

These are my current settings.
Haven't watched your video yet, will do in the weekend to come, so some of my settings may change a little if/when
my understanding of them is better :-)

General note about my settings, Prefer head tracking over gaze tracking, so the latter is set to low/slow settings.
Prefer my head tracking to stop at the end of the side windows, so settings prevent me from going too far and
suddenly looking behind me or outside when i don't want to :-)
Used to have Pitch Multiplier off, but slowly trying to get used to it, so it's a little up, Don't really need it for
playing the game, but for video it's nice to not just look left and right.

Been playing with these settings for a while now with maybe some little tweaks here and there.
My settings for ATS are slightly different due to the smaller (in width) cabs and/or mirrors being further away from the sitting position.

Monitor: 27" 16:9
Distance between my head and Tobii is about the max advised.

Enable Position (experimental): Off (tried it, needs improvements, not given it much thought yet)
Enable Roll (experimental): Off (tried it, needs improvements, not given it much thought yet)

Gaze View Responsiveness: 19%
Gaze Tracking Speed: 0.8
Gaze Exponent: 3.4
Gaze Inflection Point: 0.36
Gaze End Point: 0.25
Maximal Gaze Angle: 10 degrees

Head Tracking Ratio: 8.6
Head Tracking Inflection Point: 0.37
Head Tracking Start Point: 0
Head Tracking End Point: 0.87
Pitch Multiplier: 0.10 (still recommend this set to 0 when setting the Tobii 4c up for the first time.)

Reset Head (Head tracking): Don't need it
Pause Extended View (experimental): Don't need it
MMBrown

Re: Introduction video to the settings for Tobii Eye Tracker 4C. Share your favorite settings!

#3 Post by MMBrown » 14 Feb 2020 13:16

Underscore_101_ wrote: 13 Feb 2020 12:07 These are my current settings.
Thanks for posting this! I copied your settings exactly and found it very intuitive. Occasionally I would have difficulty getting it to quickly look left and right at intersections, but by and large it works very well!

I just got my 4C three days ago, and spent the first couple evenings disappointed. I had a lot of jerkiness and screen movements that didn't match my head or eye movements. It wasn't until last night that I was able to get it working smoothly and intuitively, largely based on information read on these forums.

A few tips that helped me:

- Take care with the eyetracker placement. At first I was at the far threshold of its tracking distance - about 100cm or so - and this caused a lot of cutting in and out. I moved the monitor closer but had to put it on a stand so that the steering wheel rim wouldn't be in the way. Turns out it was then a little too high - I since found a box (temporary) about half the height of my stand to place the monitor on that positions the tracker lower without seeing the wheel rim. Now it works well!

- Keep the pitch multiplier low. Rarely do you need to be looking up and down all that much in the game, and I came to discover a lot of the up-down jerkiness I was experiencing was while I was munching on chips! :lol:

- Look for alternatives to the manufacturer's USB extension cord. With the way I had my monitor and computer placed, the USB cable coming out of the tracker was not long enough. I used the USB extension cable supplied with the tracker but found it losing power periodically. I bought a powered USB hub to plug the tracker into and that is now maintaining power/connection.

- Make sure the monitor is pointed straight at you, or it may think you're looking off to the side!

- Bind a button within easy reach (I use one of the steering wheel buttons) to reset the position. I need to do this every once in a while and it's helpful to have a button quickly available.

Underscore_101_'s settings posted above are an excellent starting point, using head tracking primarily, with gaze helping for quick mirror checks.

FYI, I'm driving in a dark room with the lights off, and wearing glasses. Neither seem to be an issue.
Wombat Trucker

#4 Post by Wombat Trucker » 18 Feb 2020 20:43

Great thread, looking forward to seeing others settings. Thank you Underscore for sharing yours already!

My settings allows me to look 45 degrees to my left and right without any problems but hard to look too far back by accident.
I also want high responsiveness so that I can quickly check my mirrors in tight situations.
Ive used these settings for a week and Im quite happy with them although there are still some tiny bugs I need to look into before Im 100% happy with it.

Same settings used in both ATS and ETS2

Distance between my head and Tobii is about 50cm

Head Track Mode: Dynamic
Auto-Center: Off

Gaze View Responsiveness: 77%
Gaze Tracking Speed: 2.2
Gaze Exponent: 1.68
Gaze Inflection Point: 0.62
Gaze Start Point: 0.24
Gaze End Point: 0.47
Maximal Gaze Angle: 45 degrees

Head View Responsiveness: 85%
Head Tracking Ratio: 4.7
Head Tracking Exponent: 1.40
Head Tracking Inflection Point: 0.24
Head Tracking Start Point: 0.14
Head Tracking End Point: 0.41
Yaw Multiplier: 1.87
Pitch Multiplier: 0.10 (Just want my head to be able to move a tiny bit up and down to make the movements look more natural to the viewers)

Reset Head (Head tracking): joy button 16
Pause Extended View (experimental): joy button 18
Creator of something
Developer of nothing
Combining map mods for ETS2 since 1971
Wombat Trucker Youtube channel
World of Wombat Discord server
DTC

#5 Post by DTC » 14 May 2020 17:09

Well after a long time puzzle i did also a setting discovery that made me not to use trackir any more this due the fact its also possible to park with looking behind what many people like instead of mirrors.
Hope that it helps others who have problems to get the settings right,,,
The only thing i was not able to manage is the sensitivity of the experimentle center position,, it makes some the screen bounce little.
Good luck
Attachments
tobii eye settings eurotruck 2.jpg
lyldz

#6 Post by lyldz » 15 May 2020 05:33

Adrelina wrote: 14 May 2020 17:09 Well after a long time puzzle i did also a setting discovery that made me not to use trackir any more this due the fact its also possible to park with looking behind what many people like instead of mirrors.
Hope that it helps others who have problems to get the settings right,,,
The only thing i was not able to manage is the sensitivity of the experimentle center position,, it makes some the screen bounce little.
Good luck
This settings is very very good for me! thanks for sharing :mrgreen:
Darkmind66

#7 Post by Darkmind66 » 03 Jun 2020 11:57

Well, here are my settings. They are not final but I found them pretty playable for now.

Head tracking mode - dynamic
Auto-center - off
Position - off
Roll - off
---------
Gaze:
View response - 50%
Tracking speed - 1.5
Tracking exponent - 2.0
Inflection point - 0.80
Start point - 0
End point - 1
Max angle - 8
---------
Head:
View response - 100%
Tracking ratio - 10
Tracking exponent - 1.3
Inflection point - 0.7
Start point - 0.02
End point - 0.80
Yaw multiplier (cab) - 1.4
Pitch multiplier (cab) - 0.7
Underscore_101_

#8 Post by Underscore_101_ » 28 Jun 2020 15:12

It's been a while and my settings have changed somewhat, they are still focusing on head movement over eye movement.
Have been a satisfied owner of the 4C for about 7 months now.

These are my current settings for the 1.37 version of the games, from what I understand version 1.38 has presets, haven't tested them (yet).

General note about my settings, Prefer head tracking over gaze tracking, so the latter is set to low/slow settings.
Still prefer my head tracking to stop at the end of the side windows, so settings prevent me from going too far and
suddenly looking behind me or outside when I don't want to :-)

Distance between my head and Tobii is about the max advised.

Enable Position (experimental): Off (not tried in 1.37 or higher)
Enable Roll (experimental): Off (not tried in 1.37 or higher)

Gaze View Responsiveness: 19%
Gaze Tracking Speed: 0.8
Gaze Exponent: 3.40
Gaze Inflection Point: 0.36
Gaze End Point: 0.25
Maximal Gaze Angle: 10 degrees

Head Tracking Ratio: 10
Head Tracking Exponent: 2.34
Head Tracking Inflection Point: 0.54
Head Tracking Start Point: 0
Yaw Multiplier (in cabin): 1.48
Pitch Multiplier (in walk mode_: 0.30 (still recommend this set to 0 when setting the Tobii 4c up for the first time.)

Gaze absence threshold: Disabled

Reset Head (Head tracking): Don't need it
Pause Extended View (experimental): Don't need it

Open Eye Tracking settings: set a better key combo on my Simdashboard :-)
Truckcrasher68

#9 Post by Truckcrasher68 » 09 Jul 2020 18:00

What's really interesting, is after trying Tobii several times, I gave up on it and have gone back to my trackir, and Wombat no longer appears to be using it.
Underscore_101_

#10 Post by Underscore_101_ » 10 Jul 2020 16:47

Though i enjoy watching some of Wombats videos (mainly his map combos), with whatever tracker he uses he looks like a cyborg in his vids and the camera doesn't move better than the Tobii..

Also he needs to lose the beard, i don't trust people with beards.

Return to “General discussion about the game”