FMOD Discussion [ETS2]

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
Robinicus

FMOD Discussion [ETS2]

#1 Post by Robinicus » 19 Mar 2020 19:16

The original intent of this thread was to work as a bridge to support FMOD until SCS had their wiki updated at a level where users could go for support; it has now been 20 months without any substantive investment in time to update it by them and I have decided to remove the info.

When I can't even get a message returned this far in it is clear to me this effort has been taken for granted.

Please direct all inquiries for FMOD support to SCS
Last edited by Robinicus on 26 Oct 2021 20:26, edited 29 times in total.
Turd Ferguson

Re: FMOD Discussion

#2 Post by Turd Ferguson » 25 Mar 2020 20:30

Thanks for you efforts Robinicus, this will come in very handy when 1.37 is released for both games.
I'm a VR user so haven't played 1.37 yet. I've seen videos of yours and Kriechbaun's work and am blown away with what you have done so far.
I use my own sound for XBS's Daf F241, once the ETS2 beta branch is updated to 1.37 do i have to update my sound specifically for the Daf F241 (as now) or will i be able to select the sound in the game and assign to specific trucks?
I know this may sound like a daft question but I always steer clear of videos of updates and new DLC as i like to discover new features myself so haven't seen anything of the ATS 1.37 beta apart from your sounds.
Oh hell, let's go nuts. Swords for forty eight thousand

https://www.worldoftrucks.com/en/profile/401
Robinicus

#3 Post by Robinicus » 25 Mar 2020 20:43

@Wrighty - you're welcome :)

Yes, you need to create your own FMOD bank for your specific engine if you want to have a unique sound. What SCS did in ATS, and I am assuming they will also do in ETS2, is include new code that replaces the sound in any mods that don't have their own bank with a default set of engine sounds. The upside is your mod truck/engine will still work in the game; the downside is every single "missing" engine sounds exactly the same.

To control what bank works for what engine you write your sii like the example above; you no longer use the int/ext ogg files in game (you use them as samples to make your FMOD bank) and you no longer use the sound defs for int/ext. All controls for the bank you create are in your bank.guids file you export from FMOD as GUIDS.txt and rename to [your engine name].bank.guids. This then interfaces with what SCS has in their master.bank and strings.bank files to control the events you created.
Turd Ferguson

#4 Post by Turd Ferguson » 26 Mar 2020 10:08

Thanks for the reply, once 1.37 is released i'll sprnd some time getting into learning FMOD. Thanks for taking the time to write the guides. They'll be very helpful.
Oh hell, let's go nuts. Swords for forty eight thousand

https://www.worldoftrucks.com/en/profile/401
Zakxaev68

#5 Post by Zakxaev68 » 27 Mar 2020 21:52

In all honesty, the app itself looks like Cubase (music making solution). How would one rate its interface in terms of learning curve?
Hard truckin' on the virtual roads since 2002...

The Big Rig Rock is under indefinite hiatus!
Robinicus

#6 Post by Robinicus » 27 Mar 2020 21:57

@Zakxaev68 If you are used to Cubase or ProTools or Presonus Studio One....you are going to find it extremely un-intuitive. There are many areas where key features are not included on a right click, drag and drop functionality is extremely limited compared to the others and for some reason, FMOD thought it would be a great idea to come up with their own terminology for a lot of the language of the audio industry. There are also very limited (i.e. almost no) built in analyzers and very limited effects, no noise reduction and no spectrum analyzer or even an output spectrum display option. You definitely need some outside tools for a lot of the necessary functionality required.

It is a good tool, just difficult to learn if you are used to other DAW solutions; if it is your first experience with one, it probably isn't too bad as it isn't very complex.
Zakxaev68

#7 Post by Zakxaev68 » 27 Mar 2020 22:02

I'm used to experimenting with broad range of software, from video editors, to audio tools, to anything. May try my hand on it once the whole concept is stable enough.

Limited functionality? Sounds strange thinking nearly every game nowadays uses FMOD. Also present in the paid version?
Hard truckin' on the virtual roads since 2002...

The Big Rig Rock is under indefinite hiatus!
Robinicus

#8 Post by Robinicus » 27 Mar 2020 22:14

There is no difference between the paid and the free version; my comments on limited are WRT other audio worktools. It has some good gaming interface features like Live Update, I was responding to the Cubase comment as it is drastically different.

You can use plugins but there is a transfer fee to activate them in FMOD so wasn't prepared to disable from my home studio DAWs to move for free or pay a transfer fee for the limited use in FMOD. If you have multiple screens there are benefits; the layout makes it almost impossible to have the mixing desk and the editing tools both open even on UW monitors for example.
dbddimov

#9 Post by dbddimov » 27 Mar 2020 23:13

if in the future they can add the sound of a refrigerated trailer running and refueling refrigerated trailers.after you stop in the parking lot and turn off the engine, the refrigerator trailer will usually hear noise when it is running at low degrees.
Robinicus

#10 Post by Robinicus » 28 Mar 2020 00:40

We have asked a few times but I just put in a more formal ask to Max; all they need to do is create the event, we will do the rest :)

EDIT: @dbddimov - FYI - response from Max over in the ATS version of this thread - viewtopic.php?p=1320491#p1320472

I also asked for a transmission sound event so we can build accurate sound models

Return to “Modding Guides”