ETS2 1.39 Speculation Thread

JD6

Re: ETS2 1.39 Speculation Thread

#411 Post by JD6 » 25 Jul 2020 00:55

@kimmer I don't believe SCS needs a "driving force". They know very well what they are doing, probably have stuff planned for at least a year from now and I already said I'm at peace with that. I was just countering people whom I'd call "disguised apologists" who just fight change so hard because they got used to a certain way of SCS doing things and assume things should be stagnant. All the while using arguments like the need for "billions" of dollars needed for a modern look, which is out of this world. The point was to also show that a EUR 60 release every 2-3 years wouldn't be "the end" and is pretty much doable and not so different from big corps.

It's like assuming some dude came up and said: "Hey SCS bros, here's $10 million add SSAO to this thing. But you know what you could get for $1 billion? An engine that easily ports to various systems and DRS/VRSS/DLSS and Ray Tracing Support." That's not how things work and I feel it's disrespectful towards the devs themselves who try to maintain a userbase that is very iffy.

There are games made by 5 people or less that have all the visual features many dream of for ETS2. No need for "billions" of dollars.
ETS2's engine is really old and unless it can be ported to engines that have such features out of the box and SCS taking a risk, it will always be behind the times.

Imagine the shockwave within the fanbase if SCS announces that 1.39 is the last of ETS2 with support for another year and the next release is Truck World Online with crossplay plus the added perks of having a Drive Pass. :D
FlyingPigeon

#412 Post by FlyingPigeon » 25 Jul 2020 06:03

@kimmer agree With Your words, it hit the head of the nail.
Scandinavian truckdriver.
mackintosh

#413 Post by mackintosh » 25 Jul 2020 08:53

JD6 wrote: 25 Jul 2020 00:55 There are games made by 5 people or less that have all the visual features many dream of for ETS2. No need for "billions" of dollars.
ETS2's engine is really old and unless it can be ported to engines that have such features out of the box and SCS taking a risk, it will always be behind the times
And how many of those titles require licenses for virtually any type of vehicle the developer would like to put in the game? How many have 170 people on their payroll that have to be paid regardless of what's going on in the economy or irrespective of sales? SCS has massive fixed costs they need to budget for that factor into decision making and affect everything they do. Not to mention employee turnover, which is a significant problem for them. It's something their CEO has mentioned in literally every stream he participated in.

I'm no fan of SCS, never have been. My war for better sound mixes has raged for years and will not abate until I get what I want or stop playing. But I run a business. Two, actually. And I had been a CEO of a company for 6 years before that. I understand why they cannot do some things, and why some other projects get priority, even though they may not seem paramount do the customer.

Most of the points made in this recent conversation are valid. Both games need to evolve. Nevertheless, these lofty expectations need to be grounded in reality. The reality being that you cannot compare apples to oranges and attack helicopters. This game is in a very specific niche of games that requires a lot of money to be thrown around before you even get permission to do something, and then you need to pay people, lots of people, and you still need to have money left over for investment in all those things people want, and while you lot may not give a damn about any of this, people running SCS have to.
gandalf7472000

#414 Post by gandalf7472000 » 25 Jul 2020 09:02

Well said @mackintosh
There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand the world. There is no such thing as a dumb question.

Carl Sagan
FlyingPigeon

#415 Post by FlyingPigeon » 25 Jul 2020 09:58

If SCS have trouble making money to pay for their employees or what Else they need to pay and that is amputating Them, they should maybe Cut back and concentrate the teams and trim the business. Now I dont Know Who is doing what or why, but that sounds like the most Logic to do to keep a business afloat and healthy from a Leyman perspctive.
And i Will Add that of they are Company of swingdoors then something clearly is not healthy within the Company, a business that takes Care of it’s employees receives loyalty in return and stay for Years, so Pavel as a CEO must Also Know what is wrong and look at improvement to keep his staff.
Scandinavian truckdriver.
edsor

#416 Post by edsor » 25 Jul 2020 10:39

Is this thread a discussion between employees and scs managers or is it a competition to know who is more pedant? Because if it's a tournament, it's certainly very close and it's of a very high level.
Some newbie driver

#417 Post by Some newbie driver » 25 Jul 2020 10:39

JD6 wrote: 25 Jul 2020 00:55There are games made by 5 people or less that have all the visual features many dream of for ETS2. No need for "billions" of dollars.
There's no game at all made by 5 or by 50 people that have the modern AAA visuals to a 3D world of the scale we have here. There's games made by companies so small yes, that BUY the license of a graphic engine that had made another company (with a a lot more that those 5 or 50 persons dedicated to it). If they don't buy a license and made their own engine, all their workforce needs to go there an you will be playing inside a house of 5 rooms, more or less, not over half a whole continent. And before you argue that SCS could had done that; it has been said lots of times those engines "in the market" doesn't fit their technical requirements.

And I was going to write some more things but it's not worth the time. Those who wanna complain all day are going to do it anyway. They don't listen to reasons because they all had been all its life developing software and (taking mackintosh words) they also know very well how to run a profitable company. So claps for them from the applause team from being so freaking awesome people that show the rest of us the truth.

In the meantime, I expect SCS to have a tight skin enough to ignore that background noise and keep focused on evolve the game. If they release something sub-standar quality they will deserve the critics (spatial sounbd problems here, DAF silly skins there...). But for the rest they release that it's good and it's more than worthy what we pay for it (wait... we pay nothing!); applause for them too. Let's hope 1.39 brings us more graphic changes (for example, the very necessary AA, so finally we can dump scaling and mix it nicely with new SSAO without boil our graphic card). And probably Lyon rebuilt (as a little stretch of Lyon street change slipped into 1.38, we know for sure it's near). And more improvements on the FMOD mixes (or the spatial sound fixing). Anything else will be an extra.

Regards
bumbumek

#418 Post by bumbumek » 25 Jul 2020 13:02

SCS should add better AA in the first place, not cosmetic SSAO, so we could finally decrease scalling, because 400% is really insane. For now we need such high setting, because if we lower it to 200 or even 300%, the game flickers almost everywhere on everything.

I'm sure most of the players would agree with me on this.

Besides, I still think that SCS's engine is too old and outdated to cope with today's graphic standards. That's why every visual implementation will struggle with HUGE fps eating.
JD6

#419 Post by JD6 » 25 Jul 2020 14:25

mackintosh wrote: 25 Jul 2020 08:53
And how many of those titles require licenses for virtually any type of vehicle the developer would like to put in the game? How many have 170 people on their payroll that have to be paid regardless of what's going on in the economy or irrespective of sales? SCS has massive fixed costs they need to budget for that factor into decision making and affect everything they do. Not to mention employee turnover, which is a significant problem for them. It's something their CEO has mentioned in literally every stream he participated in.
I understand your post, man. Just as I understand that SCS works the way they do for their reasons, I clearly stated that in my previous replies.

But the number of employees has nothing to do with modern visual features. 170 people didn't code the support for DX11/SMAA/SSAO... also as a pure numbers comparison, 4A Games currently has 150 employees and probably had even less making the METRO series. METRO Exodus is one of the most visually striking games in the last years. Yes, I'm aware of the extra financial support but still, ETS2 is nowhere near that kind of a detailed world. voice acting, mocap and all that goes with a story driven game, therefore it wouldn't need as much money as put in such a title. I'm not telling the dudes what to do, just what I'd want from the game.
Some newbie driver wrote:There's no game at all made by 5 or by 50 people that have the modern AAA visuals to a 3D world of the scale we have here.
The scale has nothing to do with features and you're confusing functional story driven open world game maps with building ETS2 maps that are made by a single dude at home even, so I got nothing to further add, except LOL.

@bumbumek That's part of the stuff people been wanting and talking about, yes.

@edsor It's people who are passionate about a game speculating and talking about possible or impossible stuff expected from the future.
It's what any company wants, means they do good. The worst thing would be nobody talking about the game, like that other truck simulator.
Nina95

#420 Post by Nina95 » 25 Jul 2020 14:26

bumbumek wrote: 25 Jul 2020 13:02 SCS should add better AA in the first place, not cosmetic SSAO, so we could finally decrease scalling, because 400% is really insane. For now we need such high setting, because if we lower it to 200 or even 300%, the game flickers almost everywhere on everything.

I'm sure most of the players would agree with me on this.

Besides, I still think that SCS's engine is too old and outdated to cope with today's graphic standards. That's why every visual implementation will struggle with HUGE fps eating.
i absolutley agree with you!!!!

Return to “General discussion about the game”