ETS2 1.38 Discussion

cip

Re: ETS2 1.38 Discussion

#571 Post by cip » 14 Aug 2020 18:59

this is exactly what I will do tonight after my kids will go to bed, testing another truck sound mod for my truck and check if it has the same issues. it seems that the size/length of the files used, especially if there are .wav files matters too. I knew this from the begin when our friend @Rockeropasiempre had some issues, therefore my traffic sounds have stayed as ogg knowing that I have really a lot of sounds and the game must load many of them simultaneously. besides for traffic the quality of sounds is not important to be top class as for the truck engine
Enjoy driving with my Real Traffic Density for ETS2 and ATS
Enjoy listening my ATS Real Ai Traffic Sounds 1.36-1.37
currently on strike :D beta testings and bug reports are temporarily suspended from my activity until further decisions :lol:

Some newbie driver

#572 Post by Some newbie driver » 14 Aug 2020 19:19

.wav files processing is probably more inefficient than ogg, either by the codec or by the loading times as they are bigger in size. So, it's easier that a bunch of .wav files cause problems with CPU earlier than a bunch of .ogg ones.

Darkcaptain

#573 Post by Darkcaptain » 15 Aug 2020 13:47

I remember a few weeks ago EVR launched a sound package for a truck (Mercedes? I can't remember correctly ..) this package had many details and a lot of sounds, but it had sound cuts in the truck, EVR advised to disable the traffic sounds to solve this temporarily.

Later, EVR released update this same sound for that truck, I think it removed some sounds from its bank, and the clipping issue was fixed.

There is probably some kind of "limit" in the amount of sounds, as the user comments "Some newbie driver", FMOD is a modern and professional tool, but I think the game engine does not make good use of multi-cores of the processors, regardless of the CPU we have (4, 8 or 12 cores ..) is limited by the game itself, and probably this limit of sounds comes from the game engine, until SCS optimizes the use of the multi-core of CPU.

The big question is, why doesn't this issue occur in ATS... maybe the truck sound mods for ATS have less detail/sounds? or else it can be because of the priority as cip comments?

PS: I think we won't get the full SCS guides until at least version 1.40

Some newbie driver

#574 Post by Some newbie driver » 15 Aug 2020 13:57

@Darkcaptain, is not that the game "doesn't optimize well the use of multi-core". Is that the game is mono-core, plain and simple. The only exception are a few tasks that have no relation with our direct game play so, for that concern of the sound, still mono-core. So it doesn't matter how many cores your computer can have, the game will use only one of them.

Regards

Max
SCS Software

#575 Post by Max » 18 Aug 2020 17:40

game control loop is single, but fmod buffers are handled by fmod various tasks (which could be run on more cores no matter whether requests were sequential or not).
what i found so far is that fmod has some issue when switching big amount of sounds - just player truck engine sounds are 4 layers with varisous rpm ranges, so on fast rpm changes it might be like dozen(s) of buffers needed. the priority should be as you guessed but im not sure about anything with fmod ...
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.

Some newbie driver

#576 Post by Some newbie driver » 18 Aug 2020 17:58

@Max, just by curiosity (and if you can answer it, ofc)

What you mean that is that the workload you sent to FMOD actually can be handled by different cores SIMULTANEOUSLY to your main loop that still has the mono-core restriction? Managing the sounds it plays while the main loop does other things?

Or just that the main loop has to wait the FMOD turn of doing things but at least those can use up to more than 1 core if necessary before returning the control to the main loop till the next time?

Regards

xXCARL1992Xx

#577 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 18 Aug 2020 18:02

FMod is not restricted by the game engines processing limitations but more like its own eco system that processes everything and then feeds the game, is what i get
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |

Max
SCS Software

#578 Post by Max » 18 Aug 2020 19:01

basic work of sound engine is to load data and send them into sound device in regular steps/chunks. as such, it must be asynchronous and independent.
game only says start to play this sound with that param. and fmod starts to work the sound until some change happen - sound ends (if not repeated), is changed by game or is forcefully stopped. any sound has its own buffer and could have own task that feeds it and handles all eventual filtering and mixing. the more complicated is bus linkage the more complicated is mixing but it is on fmods side (all data are set already). game does not need to care or control directly unless/until some another change is required.
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.

Some newbie driver

#579 Post by Some newbie driver » 18 Aug 2020 19:48

So, as per your explanation Max (thanks for it), my guess about the CPU bottleneck be the problem when having too many sounds at the same time shouldn't be right (because it really doesn't take so many CPU to just tell FMOD "play that") and FMOD isn't restricted at all by the CPU limit on the main loop because it runs on its own (so we can call it an step further to the whole multi-core support then? compared with previous Open AL? Or that doesn't really changed?)

And then the problem would then be more a question of how FMOD works internally that can cause issues when lots of sounds, to find those practical limits and the better way to tune sounds up to that limit. Is that?

Regards

cip

#580 Post by cip » 18 Aug 2020 20:07

I am still tempted to believe that it's nothing wrong neither with the game's engine, neither with FMOD but only a matter of priority set in the master track. SCS switched the truck sounds to highest priority while in 1.37 the template was on default (medium) priority. if truck engine sound modder did not realise this change, as more and more sounds appears it could happen that priority got an important role.
I also believe that it's nothing wrong with game's engine because previous FMOD, both games handled perfectly the truck sounds as well as my 1.000 traffic sounds, never felt like a sound is missing or cut and my CPU was an I7 4770 that time. after the issues encountered with Kriechbaum sound I unpacked his mod and identified small sized .wav files, less than 1 Mb and no more than 4 seconds, in total 64 sounds so professional work as always! I have tested another Kriechbaum sound meantime and had issues only with the engine brake sound, while everything else was working fine all the time. note that currently I have an I5 9600k CPU
Enjoy driving with my Real Traffic Density for ETS2 and ATS
Enjoy listening my ATS Real Ai Traffic Sounds 1.36-1.37
currently on strike :D beta testings and bug reports are temporarily suspended from my activity until further decisions :lol:

Return to “General discussion about the game”