What will ETS2 look like in 3, 8 or 10 years from now on?

FawnPrince

What will ETS2 look like in 3, 8 or 10 years from now on?

#1 Post by FawnPrince » 19 Jul 2020 15:28

Hello everyone,

Since the release of Idaho, no blog posts have been published and I'm starving for some more teasing from SCS. So, in order to kill off some time, let's share our hopes on what ETS2 could be in the future, perhaps 3, 8, or even 10 years from now.

To set things off, I should put the evolution of ETS2 into perspective. On October 19th, 2012, 7 years and 9 months ago, ETS2 was released. It was only an improved mix of German Truck Simulator and UK Truck Simulator. Things started out slow with Going East DLC and Scandinavia but gradually, as SCS Software grew bigger and bigger, more and more content, with ever better quality saw the light of day. Now, a couple years later, here we are, a game that has evolved and grown so much it surpassed even some of our wildest expectations. With progress rising exponentially, what do you think will happen for ETS2 in the incoming years?

Unrelated: Is the title of the topic grammatically correct? Sorry I'm not a native speaker )))
Underscore_101_

Re: What will ETS2 look like in 3, 8 or 10 years from now on?

#2 Post by Underscore_101_ » 19 Jul 2020 19:11

We're like 2 or 3 dlcs away from a complete Europe, Improvements to the map have always been a free extra so I expect it will be finished in a couple of years.

If they continue with ETS2 I expect they may go further into Russia or maybe complete Turkey and go further into the middle east areas,... I suppose it depends on the location of their player base, what would sell the most copies of their dlcs and base game...
For new truck models, like Kamaz I hope they go further east into Russia, in some cases they could then even use trucks from ATS in ETS2.
Some newbie driver

#3 Post by Some newbie driver » 19 Jul 2020 21:21

Not counting upcoming Iberia, only in Europe we lack almost all European part of Russia, Ukraine (the biggest only-European country), all the western Balkans, Greece, Ireland, Iceland, a great part of Fennoscandia, Belarus, Moldova and all the Caucasus zone. So, plain and simple, we have left around 60% of European land size and that considering that the game is about Europe as geographic zone (while it's about where euro-kind of trucks are used; so, a widely geographical zone than just Europe)

We have game for a looong time and surely for a lot more than 2 or 3 DLCs.

Regards
Madkine
Global moderator

#4 Post by Madkine » 19 Jul 2020 22:59

@FawnPrince All it takes is 4 days for you to be information starved? Wow.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
FawnPrince

#5 Post by FawnPrince » 20 Jul 2020 12:24

@Madkine A combination of boredom, pushy fanboying and dire lack of patience :)
FawnPrince

#6 Post by FawnPrince » 20 Jul 2020 12:29

Talking about map DLCs, I'm almost certain that most of Europe will be done. At least from Moscow to Reykjavik.

What I really hope SCS will try to develop more are new truck series and brands. As @Underscore_101_ said, Kamaz and some american trucks in Russia would be nice but I wouldn't mind seeing other brands like Ural trucks for instance...
Some newbie driver

#7 Post by Some newbie driver » 20 Jul 2020 12:48

It's known they are in conversations with Ford

And Pavel stated time ago they would like to add other companies and mentioned Kamaz as example

There's a topic by this very subforum, with a long conversation about that subject.
plykkegaard

#8 Post by plykkegaard » 20 Jul 2020 13:06

Underscore_101_ wrote: 19 Jul 2020 19:11 We're like 2 or 3 dlcs away from a complete Europe
A complete Scandinavia alone will require 3 new expansion packs
Also it would be a nice option to have the border areas between Finland and Rusia :D

England needs to be rebuild and adapted to correct scale
Maybe a new DLC which includes all of England rebuild from the ground up

As mentioned Transcaucasia is part of Eastern Europe but maybe not Turkey as it is located on the Anatolian peninsula which is Western Asia

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Some newbie driver

#9 Post by Some newbie driver » 20 Jul 2020 14:30

There will be no 3 Scandinavian DLC. Despite the land extension (a lot less that a common map suggest, due projection deformations), those are scarce populated zones and the density of content will be very low compared with other DLCs.

And there exist no "correct scale" for the map. The scale selection is arbitrary and SCS is free to use whichever they want wherever they want to. There's nothing inherently wrong in the actual scale of UK neither in the decision of keep it as it is in a future rebuilt (if SCS decides so). Its and everending discussion it appears from time to time on here with no end because there exist no "best" option; all of them are just pure personal preferences.

SCS could even, if they want to (not without several headaches, but it's possible), to change the scale in the middle of the map to ease the release of wide empty zones of Russia (just to put an example).

Regards
Underscore_101_

#10 Post by Underscore_101_ » 20 Jul 2020 14:40

@plykkegaard They did a rebuild of Germany for free, they did some parts of France for free, why would they make a DLC for the UK (incl. Ireland),... I can see Ireland as a DLC, but not standalone, It has to have more than just Ireland, maybe all UK islands as well or something, or in combination with Iceland,... idk...

Same goes for Scandinavia, It's already a DLC, I don't expect another DLC to cover the parts they haven't done, if they add more places to it, it will be free.

Also, I mentioned Turkey and the middle east because they already did the European part of Turkey, but sensibly they'd go east into the Russian territory, this would also have my preference, not a fan of Russian politics, but the country is different from where I live, and the country itself has soo many different environments, way more interesting than American Truck Simulator.

and just for the record, I don't mean to offend anyone Irish or British, I know the difference between Ireland, N-Ireland and the UK, but map making wise it would make sense imho

Return to “General discussion about the game”