do we still need promods

davidbruce53

do we still need promods

#1 Post by davidbruce53 » 15 Sep 2020 20:54

With Iberia about to come out ets2 will basically have all of europe covered. It used to be I tried out promods to drive in parts of europe ets2 did not have yet. IMO, promods is not really needed anymore.
krizzy090

Re: do we still need promods

#2 Post by krizzy090 » 15 Sep 2020 21:05

davidbruce53 wrote: 15 Sep 2020 20:54 With Iberia about to come out ets2 will basically have all of europe covered. It used to be I tried out promods to drive in parts of europe ets2 did not have yet. IMO, promods is not really needed anymore.
promods map is bigger going 3k km in normal map is sshorter so i would suggest you to stick with promods they do a great job
plykkegaard

#3 Post by plykkegaard » 15 Sep 2020 21:34

Scandinavia, Atlantic Islands, Balkans, great looking Austrua and Switzerland, connections to Rusmap, Eastern an South Europe, British Isles ...
What's not to like? :mrgreen:

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
The Old Fart

#4 Post by The Old Fart » 16 Sep 2020 00:54

Well, that's like comparing a nice 2010 VW Golf to a 2020 Audi A8. Sure, both will get you from A to B but one has a hell of a lot more features.

Seriously, If you've driven the Promods map you know how much more depth and detail is in the map - look at Berlin, Vienna, Lodz, Warsaw, Iceland, etc, etc. There's nothing to complain about with SCS's mapping - it's great - but Promods has built a much 'fuller' ETS2 world. I certainly am not going to give up Promods anytime soon
Old Fart Trucking - I haul ass, and everything else!
MrCapital

#5 Post by MrCapital » 16 Sep 2020 07:27

I just went back to Promods from using Vanilla map for three years. I went back basically for two reasons;

-Northern Scandinavia + Finland. (SCS seems to believe there's nothing but woods north of Uppsala)
-To be able to drive in UK without closing my eyes
[ external image ]
- retired modder - do not disturb -
plykkegaard

#6 Post by plykkegaard » 16 Sep 2020 08:47

Yeah waiting for the The E39 Coastal Highway Route to be fully implemented but also the Atlantic Ocean Road (route 64) north of Trondheim
These roads will leave most if not all ATS scenic routes in the dust :D

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
crazycrinkle

#7 Post by crazycrinkle » 16 Sep 2020 12:33

Unless SCS ever goes back and actually improves the base map from being so generic then Promods stays for me until the day I uninstall ETS2 completely.
plykkegaard

#8 Post by plykkegaard » 16 Sep 2020 13:07

SCS has improved quite a lot in the base map
I abandoned ETS2 after a couple of months Promods made me revisit the game in '14
Today i play on vanilla in selected areas due to very limited time for gaming

Plum

#9 Post by Plum » 16 Sep 2020 18:22

Well, I will be honest here there will be some bias in my comment - but then it's only fair as I am a ProMods developer.

Firstly - a neutral standpoint. I do not care if you use ProMods or not, it's your choice if you use it or not, no one is forcing you to use it and no one is forcing you not to use it, it's completely your choice.

And now why ProMods (or really any map mod) doesn't become obsolete with SCS's expansion.
Map mods still bring things SCS will likely never bring, no I don't just mean maybe some certain regions of the world, I mean uniquness, even more attention to detail and generally going beyond SCS's limitations. Map mods however have complete freedom in many areas, for example you may have noticed in even the brand new map DLCs, signs are strongly simplified, to only include the cities included in game, and it's understandable why SCS has to simplfy them so much but map mods do not have these limitations, many map mods represent signs as accurately as possible, creating near 1:1 replicas of them, these changes are very noticeable for everyone, and especially for locals, who love this attention to detail. SCS includes a fantastic amount of detail in their DLCs, but map mods don't have this limitation either they can include real world adverts and not fake ones, or include real world company signs, and so on.
But most importantly many mappers not just in ProMods have a passion for mapping, I am not saying people at SCS don't enjoy their work, I am sure they love it, but the fact all 3rd party map developers do things for (mostly) free and comptely voluntarily. Many modders care about their work, they want to make this as accurate as possible and good as possible, and yes SCS has high standards but this will never beat a modders passion.
And yes as great of a job SCS is doing on rebuilding the vanilla map it's taking it's time and as good as it looks, SCS haven't gone and rebuilt many city centers (most are just reskins), and many junctions although rebuilt, are actually just a 'defualt' junction and are not always accurate in terms of layout to their real world counterpart (although - yes, a few are unique).
And finally as SCS standards are rising so are ours, we want to make sure our work remains at the best quality and use the latest techniques to make it look as good and accurate as possible.
So in summary - yes SCS is covering many regions that we have covered too, but does that mean ProMods just becomes obsolete? No in fact it just becomes better.
Promods Developer
IvanKuz

#10 Post by IvanKuz » 20 Sep 2020 09:31

This feels like a troll question, honestly. Is OP one of those RoEx zealots who hate ProMods? Iberia doesn't even come close to having "basically all of Europe covered", there are myriads of places in ProMods that are not covered by SCS, and probably never will. Even if 10 years down the line SCS covers everything from Reykjavik to Almaty, there would probably still be omissions such as Estonian islands, Andorra, Isle of Man, etc. that ProMods would cover.

Return to “General discussion about the game”