Which area in ETS2 should be reworked next ?

Which are should be reworked next ??

United Kingdom
19%
BeNeLux
57%
Poland
12%
Hungary
6%
Slovakia
1%
Czech Republic
6%

Total votes: 305

taneorb

Re: Which area should be reworked ?

#161 Post by taneorb » 27 Sep 2021 16:15

I thought Hungary was part of the base map? It's not part of going east is it?

I remember there was a small rework/addition in Hungary/Austria years ago too but even then that's pretty old now.
oldmanclippy

#162 Post by oldmanclippy » 27 Sep 2021 16:55

@taneorb Hungary is part of Going East. In fact it was the only Going East country that was entirely new to the game. Pecs and Szeged were added a bit later though you're right about that.

Poland had Poznan, Wroclaw, and Szczecin in the base map. Slovakia had Bratislava. Czechia had Prague and Brno. Hungary was all new.
headquartered in Denver [ external image ] and Brussels [ external image ]
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | German Cities
prediction maps: Greece+Nordic Horizons | Nebraska+Arkansas+Missouri
AlexxxF1

#163 Post by AlexxxF1 » 27 Sep 2021 22:01

all areas of the basemap require reskin of equal importance. ( except UK, what can be avoided at least somehow. )
with HoR, BtBS and future Belarus Ukraine even more so we need a reskined western part of Poland and Czech Republic on base map. ( of course better will get reskin all Poland first of all.)
that is why I believe that after Austria, Switzerland, we should get reworking the eastern part of the basemap first of all which are simply almost impossible to avoid.
(remake of the Czech Republic and western part of Poland would be a better result).
after that Benelux. UK last.

yes, I understand. many would like to see a rework UK, but it is so huge and will require at least 3-4 years, which means that for the next 5-6 years we will be driving on the same obsolete basemap, although the UK is so easy to avoid, even when it is reworked.
De_Ruyter

#164 Post by De_Ruyter » 04 Oct 2021 19:30

Benelux countries for sure, the oldest part and to this day it had no love at all to get reworked.
Specially the Netherlands which is the largest of the 3 countries and is the worst of the 3 as well.
I mean, hills in the north of the country? Aside from dykes (that's a dam and not the English word you thinking about, thank you very much)
Also it's rather stereotypical how it is portrayed, even in ProMods who neither did much to it.

Cities/area's that should be added (Netherlands):

- Utrecht (Without this main hub you can't really portray the Netherlands correctly.
- Harlingen (Frisian town that is not far from the A7 and gives a Frisian town that might be small compared to the rest, but is vital to multiple islands to the north for cargo.
- Den Helder (North Holland province town that is very much historical and vital to the island of Texel.
- Texel island (if this would be scaled up a bit you could add 2 towns to the Netherlands
- Eindhoven (could pretty much look at Promods for this one. Also it would be great for DAF to have a representative for their factory in the Netherlands)
- Zwolle (See promods again, would be a ideal location to see added to the game officially)
- Joure/Heerenveen (2 places in Friesland which are directly in the odd looking bent on the A7. These would be ideal to be added. Also the A32 heading towards Zwolle is located here)

Other changes (Netherlands):

- Afsluitdijk isn't done correctly, but aside from that... Why isn't there a Frisian flag? There are now 2 normal Dutch flags and a EU flag, which is wrong. It should be a flag of the Netherlands on the North Holland province side, and a Frisian flag on the Friesland province side. (this is pretty much slapping in the face of the Province that owns the largest part of the dyke. Also insulting in a way)
- Schiphol should get a redo, how it looks now is anything but representative of the situation there. I however understand it will be difficult to do (also would be awesome to have a pickup/delivery point here)
- Rotterdam would need a actual harbor look added to it which it currently doesn't. It would make perfect sense to get that in somehow. I mean... the biggest cargo port in the EU and it isn't even represented? That can't be!

Cities/area's that should be added (Belgium):

- Oostende (Aside from a brand new city for Belgium it would add a brand new road, the E40 that runs from Brussels to the French border where it changes into the A16 towards Calais)

Now... before anyone starts to scream, I am aware how small the Netherlands is and that things are very difficult to fit in properly. It's simply looking at what can't be left out and what should be left out instead. These are wishes and things that should really change. The Benelux are 3 tiny countries, but they should be represented properly just like any other country. The UK already did get some work done to it, and for the other 2 options listed... Simply said there is so much already there and it's newer. It would be fair to start with something that is far older and seriously is in need of a complete overhaul. Compared to any of the newer area's it just looks seriously outdated and not worthy to travel to. Which is a real shame.
oldmanclippy

#165 Post by oldmanclippy » 06 Oct 2021 21:43

@De_Ruyter I like the ambitiousness of your plan, and I agree that Benelux should be reworked before the UK, ideally immediately after Austria/Switzerland/Northern Italy. I do think that the reality will be less ambitious, however.

For The Netherlands, I would like to see 5 or 6 cities. Zwolle and Eindhoven would be my picks to get to 5. Utrecht is very important but I want Amsterdam and Rotterdam to get Paris/Milan-caliber overhauls (including much better Schiphol and Europoort), which would make less room for Utrecht. But if they can swing it that'd be great.

For Belgium, I would like to see 4 or 5 cities. Antwerp and Bruges are my picks to get to 4, with Ghent being the 5th if possible. I like the suggestion of Ostend so that could be a small dot city, or depots there could be assigned to Bruges.

Sure Iberia is getting two new small dot cities with the new roads that were announced, but with regards to reworks SCS has so far been more reluctant to add cities. If we get Basel with Switzerland that could be a sign that more could come with Benelux, but until then I am skeptical that we will get new cities with the Benelux reworks. Hopeful but skeptical.
Some newbie driver

#166 Post by Some newbie driver » 06 Oct 2021 23:34

Some SCS staff have mentioned a few times they regret about not including Antwerp. So, if it fits into the map, I bet it will be on a future rework of the zone.

Edit: typo
Last edited by Some newbie driver on 10 Oct 2021 14:25, edited 2 times in total.
Brulikrax

#167 Post by Brulikrax » 10 Oct 2021 12:50

UK is avoid at all cost territory due to unpolished roads (choppy) and old textures (environment). It should be the one to do next.
oldmanclippy

#168 Post by oldmanclippy » 12 Oct 2021 13:43

@Brulikrax On the other hand, the UK is the most easily avoidable part of the map, as you never have to drive through it to get to somewhere else. So you could argue that it can wait the longest, whereas Benelux, the Alps, central and eastern Europe, etc, are more frequently traveled as transit countries and thus should be higher priority.
SenseFM

#169 Post by SenseFM » 12 Oct 2021 14:35

The UK is really old, since its map was ported from UK Truck Simulator, a game that was released in 2010. Even the other old areas in the base map are newer and even minimally more accurate that the UK. From what I seen, the only road in the UK whose landscape seems to have been (loosely) inspired in real life is the A68 from Edinburgh to Newcastle, the rest of them have fictional scenery except from some reservoirs and some of the most iconic bridges.

Of course, thanks to its position in the map it can be easily avoided, but judging by overall accuracy and map quality I'd say the UK needs a rework the most.
Trucker Nik

#170 Post by Trucker Nik » 13 Oct 2021 06:09

I'm guessing that 1.11. (exactly 3 months after the blog called guess where we are) we will get a blog in which scs will officially confirm the reworking of Austria in update 1.43 this year

Return to “General discussion about the game”