Which area in ETS2 should be reworked next ?

Which are should be reworked next ??

United Kingdom
20%
BeNeLux
58%
Poland
11%
Hungary
6%
Slovakia
1%
Czech Republic
5%

Total votes: 278

oldmanclippy

Re: Which area should be reworked ?

#201 Post by oldmanclippy » 02 Nov 2021 22:24

Some newbie driver wrote: 02 Nov 2021 17:54 @Mohegan13 isn't said in english too that third is the good try? :P

@Aziz fair too... But DLCs cost around 18€ for a lot of months long time after their release (now 10% off in Iberia for example, still over 15€)... While the base game is at 4.99€ on sale several times a year. So, the chances you will find the most published DLC at triple the price of the base game is very high. It doesn't seem they are so much concerned about that.

Regards
Third time's the charm :)

I agree that Iberia was a missed opportunity for SCS to up the price to $20. More than that is untenable I think but $20 for Iberia is more than fair, and I assume HoR will follow suit in being worth much more than $18.

With regards to Going East, I think they could up the price for it after a rework, but for those of us that already bought it then there's no way SCS is getting more money for it. It's just too tricky logistically and from a customer relations perspective. Not worth burning bridges over it. But if Going East ever got a California level rework, then they could easily bring the price up to $12 for Going East and make the sale price higher too. After all, if the goal of reworking the base map is to get more people to buy map DLCs, then it is wise to have the map DLCs be attractive compared to the base map as well.

If Going East gets a Germany-level rework, then a price increase won't be justifiable IMO. Then it would be better for SCS to just add it to the base map. The $3 per person that they would get from it on-sale is probably not worth the opportunity cost of not having more content in the base map to further entice players to buy more recent (i.e. more expensive) map DLCs.

We will see with the Austria rework (and future Germany city reworks) what quality level SCS is shooting for. So far it looks like it will continue to fall short of the California rework but they may up their game a bit.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
Some newbie driver

#202 Post by Some newbie driver » 02 Nov 2021 22:43

Regarding GE, all the maths they could do will vary mostly depending on how much more players already have that DLC. Even being older.

If you looked with detail how the past two Christmas event evolved; the trend was clearly that an enormous % of players were hauling only on base map.

Also which ones are the most purchased DLCs, as like which ones are the next DLCs SCS has in mind, are two strong reasons to decide the next reworking zone. It has been said that Austria could had been chosen probably because linking to future Balkans DLC. But in the meantime, it could be also a good point for those cruising between Italy and base map zones.

Regards
Aziz

#203 Post by Aziz » 03 Nov 2021 05:50

I still don't exactly get why they decided to make Romania/Bulgaria/Turkey before western Balkans. Like, to go from Istanbul to Rome you have to go all the way around instead of going to, say, Croatia and taking a ferry to Italy. And depending on how far south the Russian map will go, you'd still have to take a HYUGE detour around Ukraine, Belarus, through Baltic countries to get to the rest of the continent.
krmarci

#204 Post by krmarci » 03 Nov 2021 10:47

@Aziz It actually takes less time to go around than via ferry (but this route also requires Serbia, Croatia and Slovenia): https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Isztamb ... 027835!3e0

Though it takes significantly more currently: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Isztamb ... 027835!3e0
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#205 Post by Mohegan13 » 03 Nov 2021 11:06

Aziz wrote: 03 Nov 2021 05:50 I still don't exactly get why they decided to make Romania/Bulgaria/Turkey before western Balkans.
It's has a contentious area in it. If they put in Kosovo as it's own country, it will anger some people. If they put it in as part of Serbia it will anger some people. If they don't include it at all it will anger most people, if they put it in with no mention of either party it'll probably anger everyone. Right now the member states are very split on the subject 97 states recognise independence where as 96 don't.

Politics is fun. 🙄

It will come sooner or later, but if you anger people it might stop them buying future DLC and there have been large arguments between people of these areas on the forum that lead to bans. As much as I would like to say we're all gamers here who don't care about the politics of it, there sadly are. While I have no idea if that is SCS's thinking, it does make sense to me and I can also understand them not doing it at this time, even though I also felt it was a bad call from a gaming stand point.

At the end of the day, which ever way they go with it, they will anger someone.

Just a gentle reminder political topics are not allowed here, trying to explain why it might not be in yet is one thing, but please avoid the discussions of whether you agree/disagree etc etc.
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
Some newbie driver

#206 Post by Some newbie driver » 03 Nov 2021 16:56

I think that once they changed the map with the doted line for Kosovo border (something they had no need to do it, not at all); they did a clear statement of what they will do (and anybody who disagrees, it's free to leave if they want).

If Western Balkans didn't arrive earlier would had probably be due organizational reasons. How easy was for them to gather information, documentation... And the available manpower. You have to create a lot more assets of several kinds (a lot more police cars, ambulances, firetrucks, kinds of signals, flags, other recognizable scenery items... With BttBS they had to do 3 of those against 7 to 9 that could had been the Western Balkans. It's possible they had not the manpower necessary to handle all those extra workloads for such as DLC. In some way, Iberia has been a test in that line (eve if the DLC only contains 2 new countries, only for Spain they had to manage 4 different languages, 6 signaling layouts, lots od regional differences on emergency vehicles...). What I've seen so far, seems that trains depiction had been very simplified and probably because the vehicle teams was already too buy with everything else they had to model for that DLC. Now they could clearly measure way more precisely the work it could suppose that kind of jobs for Western Balkans.

Last but not least, to include a bit of Turkey allows them to gather attention of that market of potential new player, that it's huge and probably bigger than all Western Balkans countries could offer combined. We should not forget this is a business at the end.

Regards
oldmanclippy

#207 Post by oldmanclippy » 03 Nov 2021 18:07

Eastern Balkans totally made sense to come before Western Balkans for the reasons Some newbie driver mentioned. With Kosovo, dotted line is the least worst option for SCS. Acknowledge that people disagree on it without picking a side. Anyone expecting anything different is letting their personal opinions cloud their view of what a business trying to maintain wide support for its games should do when confronted with a controversial topic. Acknowledge that there is controversy but don't say which side you fall on. Leaving the dotted line out or making the border solid will only alienate people, and that alienation is justified compared to the alternative of having a dotted line, where alienation is unjustified.

In the end, I don't think we can blame the Kosovo question on why WB hasn't come yet, unless SCS specifically comes out and says that it was the reason. There are too many other more pressing reasons (border crossings, asset burden, more complicated landscape, more density required, etc) that make a lot more sense which don't have such simple solutions as drawing a dotted line.
Mohegan13 wrote: 03 Nov 2021 11:06 Just a gentle reminder political topics are not allowed here, trying to explain why it might not be in yet is one thing, but please avoid the discussions of whether you agree/disagree etc etc.
This is a good policy :)
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
Some newbie driver

#208 Post by Some newbie driver » 03 Nov 2021 19:51

You know, I read somewhere just a few years ago that almost every country in the world has territorial boundary grudges ongoing with some other countries, mostly neighbor ones (for obvious reasons). Even Spain and Portugal have one of those for a piece of land in the northern corner of Portugal if I remember correctly (and, considering the scale, we are driving nearby in Iberia DLC). I read about it time ago and I really laugh at how stupid it sounded; but yet there's enough stubborn people concerned about it centuries later in the 2021 to still be a controversial thing.

So, if SCS would be concerned about the feelings of some people yelling on twitter due some silly line painted in the game; then we would all being trucking on a fictional planet colonized in the distant future as the only way to avoid that controversy (even we probably will be able to find something to cause controversy anyway :roll:).

SCS is going to make whatever they want with the map and whoever dislikes it, SCS for sure don't ***** (something that mods will have to erase and warn me). Plain and simple. Because the list of things, task and people they had to consider and organize to make a DLC or a rebuild probably needs a Scottex roll to be written at. And the nationalist feelings of a bunch of internet trolls are at the very bottom of that list. Unless there's a active war in a zone; we can count that piece of land will eventually be mapped. And we know well the difference between when SCS mappers imagined how a piece of land should be (sunflowers in the UK) VS how it really is (all recent DLC). So, I think we are all smart enough to know what will happen.

Regards
Trident R.S.

#209 Post by Trident R.S. » 04 Nov 2021 17:28

Voted southern europe, but i think even northern Italy need a revamp.
oldmanclippy

#210 Post by oldmanclippy » 05 Nov 2021 17:46

@Trident R.S. My hope is that Northern Italy (especially Venice) gets a reskin along with Austria and Switzerland. Might as well just finish the region off when your rework mappers are in Alps mapping mode.

Return to “General discussion about the game”