Which area in ETS2 should be reworked next ?

Which are should be reworked next ??

United Kingdom
19%
BeNeLux
58%
Poland
11%
Hungary
5%
Slovakia
1%
Czech Republic
5%

Total votes: 274

Some newbie driver

Re: Which area should be reworked ?

#111 Post by Some newbie driver » 05 Sep 2021 09:35

Again, remember what the reworks are, why are they done and what had always been their announced intention: To get rid of old, weird and absolutely unrealistic roads layouts they did back in time in their inexperience and lack of resources.

That's the only you should expect from any old map rework. The increase of visual quality is a side effect; of course if they work now mapping those zones, they are going to leverage the more detailed models, structures and better procedures they have now. But addition of new content or reworkings of cities is usually out of scope.

If you start thinking on your own that SCS is going to do more that what they announced they were going to do, then most times you are going to end disappointed. But then disappoint with yourselves not with SCS. We all would like more to be added/improved in old maps; but that just our wishes, nothing more.

Regards
Trucker Nik

#112 Post by Trucker Nik » 05 Sep 2021 13:55

If I understand correctly, are the cities in Germany still not finished? I thought Germany was done and the scs would give him peace, and what about cities in France? They will no longer be reworked, however (the exception is Lyon)
krmarci

#113 Post by krmarci » 05 Sep 2021 17:29

@Ceco
Pavel wrote:[...] For example, we redid a road network in Germany. But we didn't manage to redo the cities yet. And the cities remain there as an internal debt. [...]
https://youtu.be/EBXfzksG9IQ?t=5726
Some newbie driver

#114 Post by Some newbie driver » 05 Sep 2021 18:05

Ceco wrote: 05 Sep 2021 13:55If I understand correctly, are the cities in Germany still not finished? I thought Germany was done and the scs would give him peace, and what about cities in France? They will no longer be reworked, however (the exception is Lyon)
The original reworking plan is as like I explained; it has been stated several times. Recently Pavel mentioned the rework in cities as a possible future objective (the link krmarci provided); if I'm not wrong, it's the very first time it mentions that so that's why I don't count on it (for a near future); also because roads still are in worse condition than cities in oldest parts of the map (with the reworking of the linking roads, even if the core of the city remains with the same desing, a noticeable change is already done for most of them).

Cities in France were a personal project of a former SCS employee that committed himself to rework them on his spare time. Only Lyon remains to be changed, though I'm sure they have already worked on it (one very small change slipped into the update where they change Calais and other city). Some people speculates that Lyon could come with the Renault Trucks factory addition. It's a possibility and also a plausible explanation of the delay; as that kind of things require a lot of bureaucracy to be done before SCS would be allowed to add it.

Regards
IvanKuz

#115 Post by IvanKuz » 05 Sep 2021 23:34

Some newbie driver wrote: 05 Sep 2021 18:05Cities in France were a personal project of a former SCS employee that committed himself to rework them on his spare time.
They indeed started as such, but IIRC other mappers came onboard for Calais at least.
Some newbie driver wrote: 05 Sep 2021 18:05Only Lyon remains to be changed
There are still several roads and intersections outside of cities that remain unreworked (the Strasbourg quarry road comes to mind, I'm sure there are others). Not to mention the Channel Tunnel terminal near Calais.
Marcello Julio

#116 Post by Marcello Julio » 06 Sep 2021 01:49

I believe that the plan to rework base map in ETS2 is to first rework all the roads and improve some cities considered the most important and in the future rework all the cities. Because in practice, this is more "faster" compared make both things at the same time, which would make the basemap rework project even slower. The current format, however slow it may be, it's still faster.
Trucker Nik

#117 Post by Trucker Nik » 06 Sep 2021 15:53

@krmarci @Some newbie driver Thank you for the valuable information, that reworking cities in France was the idea of ​​a former scs employee I did not know, and what about the cities in Italy? Will they stay the way they are?
@IvanKuz You are right, I also need to redesign the motorway junction at Calais and the several petrol stations (4) located on the motorways, I am very angry at these unworked details, such as roads, petrol stations, and junctions / highway junctions
Some newbie driver

#118 Post by Some newbie driver » 06 Sep 2021 17:53

IvanKuz wrote: 05 Sep 2021 23:34There are still several roads and intersections outside of cities that remain unreworked
Indeed, that project was about cities alone. In all means, it was exactly the opposite of the other reworkings done by SCS in ETS2. What we all want would be a combo of both.
JolliciousJosh

#119 Post by JolliciousJosh » 07 Sep 2021 15:59

After Austria (and Switzerland) reskins, seems they have a plan to revisit (rework) between Germany and the UK, and this is highly likely "Benelux."
oldmanclippy

#120 Post by oldmanclippy » 09 Sep 2021 14:02

It is very clear that the Austria rework is next, but it will be nice to get an official confirmation and perhaps an outlook on when to expect it so we can shift discussion to a proper Austria Rework Thread and let this thread remain for speculation for the post-Austria reworks with a poll reset.

In the next blog post, I'd like to see a) a confirmation of the scope of the next round of reworks (all of Austria, part of it, all of Austria + Liechtenstein?), as well as some screenshots of more challenging roads. Particularly the roads connecting Salzburg, Innsbruck, and Klagenfurt. Maybe some shots of the updated mountain models around Innsbruck. Yes, the city will be merely reskinned, but we could get completely new mountain models surrounding it on the order of Colorado/Wyoming/Iberia. The screenshots from the initial blog post look (to me anyways, someone who has not spent that much time in Austria in-game) like they are from the eastern part of the country. I'd like to see the progress on western and central Austria, where the country has the most potential to become another crown jewel in the ETS2 crown. Part of me is more excited for the Austria rework than Heart of Russia, even, although that might be because I am expecting Austria to come first.

I think I will hop over to ETS2 once I finish the Cruising Wyoming event in order to refresh my memories on old Austria before new Austria is released. Since RttBS, I have often taken to teleporting from Bari to Sofia (to simulate a ferry+drive through the Western Balkans) when I want to visit RttBS instead of driving through Austria and Hungary so I haven't spent as much time in those countries as I might have otherwise. Hungary will remain unreworked for the forseeable future, so perhaps my strategy going forward will be to teleport from Graz to Timisoara to avoid Hungary :lol:

Once Austria, Switzerland, and the remaining parts of Northern Italy are reworked, southern and western Europe will be the place to be in ETS2, especially once the Western Balkans come. We'll have Portugal, Spain, France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, Romania, Bulgaria, european Turkey, (and hopefully within 2 years) Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia+Herzegovina, Montenegro, Serbia, Kosovo (don't start anything please), North Macedonia, Albania, and Greece, all worked to at least the standards of Vive la France. That's a massive play area for people who don't want to deal with the OG base map, Going East, or Scandinavia. I love Scandinavia, but in many ways it is closer to the base map quality than it is to Vive la France, which is why I categorize it as too out of date. The challenge of the roads is unmatched so gameplay wise it is superb, but visually it has fallen behind.
Last edited by oldmanclippy on 09 Sep 2021 14:08, edited 2 times in total.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)

Return to “General discussion about the game”