Which area in ETS2 should be reworked next ?

Which are should be reworked next ??

United Kingdom
19%
BeNeLux
58%
Poland
11%
Hungary
5%
Slovakia
1%
Czech Republic
5%

Total votes: 274

Some newbie driver

Re: Which area should be reworked ?

#141 Post by Some newbie driver » 15 Sep 2021 16:35

Exactly @oldmanclippy. Specially rigids, such a waste of time. After all, who the hell would want to drive such tiny toy trucks? We must remember them not to lose time with such frivolities. Even if it was long ago last time they talked about include them into the game, one never knows when they could fall into temptation. :mrgreen:
oldmanclippy

#142 Post by oldmanclippy » 16 Sep 2021 17:00

I've compiled maps for pinpointing the Austria Rework screenshots and the Lyon Rework screenshots. I'm admittedly not too good at finding them so if anyone is able to identify the remaining blog screenshots that'd be great!

Austria: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/3/edit? ... sp=sharing (missing #2, #3, #10, and the Instagram pic https://imgur.com/ym5F5qZ, #4 is inconclusive IMO)
Lyon: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/3/edit? ... sp=sharing (missing #3, #9, #10)
Last edited by oldmanclippy on 16 Sep 2021 19:04, edited 1 time in total.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
IvanKuz

#143 Post by IvanKuz » 16 Sep 2021 17:37

@oldmanclippy Very nice, thank you!
However, your pin #12 in Lyon actually links to image #11.

Pic #3 is this location, since this is where pic #2 in is in current Lyon. You can also see the same big lamp between the main road and the exit on street view just like in the screenshot. Curiously, the exits aren't blocked with XXXX barriers - will there be a remote industry, or were they simply disabled for the screenshot?
oldmanclippy

#144 Post by oldmanclippy » 16 Sep 2021 19:08

@IvanKuz Thank you for the correction, my bad. For #3, I had looked there but I was so fixated on it that I was looking the wrong direction on that part of the road! :lol:

If you look at pic 5, there is a red line on Lyon-centre, but the lane going that direction doesn't have a barrier on it. I think those are disabled for these screenshots.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
Trucker Nik

#145 Post by Trucker Nik » 17 Sep 2021 06:25

Today I looked at Austria in google maps and found on the border from Switzerland border control booths, I hope they will be included in the reworking of Austria, are located in both Austria and Switzerland, for this amazing detail I changed my voice and gave it a reworking of Austria and Switzerland
AlexxxF1

#146 Post by AlexxxF1 » 17 Sep 2021 18:26

yes, Switzerland is not in the European Union, and has border crossings for goods for all surrounding countries (Germany, Austria, Italy, France)
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.8400974 ... 6656?hl=en
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Termi ... 8246?hl=en
I hope we will see small border crossings when rework Switzerland will come
patrickov

#147 Post by patrickov » 18 Sep 2021 11:43

I had praised SCS in the blog comments, but promised to leave a few words on the forum. So here we go...

Part 1: My prediction of Lyon reskin

I find ETS2 reskins usually do little in improving the layout of the cities in the base map.

Tier 5 (complete rebuild): We only get two cities, Paris and Milano. Both serve as demonstrators of new DLCs.
Tier 4 (major changes to surrounding roads, inner city layout altered but not DLC-standard rebuild): Frankfurt am Main, Nürnberg, Dortmund*, Stuttgart*
Tier 3 (major changes to surrounding roads but inner city unchanged or only minor alignment change): Lille, Hamburg*, Erfurt, Kassel, Leipzig, Dresden
Tier 2 (moderate changes to surrounding roads): Reims, Erfurt, Rostock*, Berlin, Hannover, Osnabrück
Tier 1 (minor changes to surrounding roads or just simple reskin): Dijon, Metz, Strasbourg, Calais, Kiel, Magdeburg, Duisburg, Düsseldorf, Köln, Mannheim, München

Notes:
Hamburg / Dortmund: Both are borderline cases. I put Dortmund higher because SCS actually inverted the city's directions and moved the quarry significantly
Stuttgart: The inner city actually stayed the same. The airport is what shot it up to Tier 4
Rostock: Tier 2 if the harbour is counted, Tier 1 otherwise

From the sneak peek, I think Lyon is most probably a Tier 3 or 4 reskin.

1. A46 is coming to encircle the city, which means it must at least qualify a Tier 3. If A89 completes its connection to Lyon (as in real-life) then it would be even more realistic, but I don't think it's on the list.
2. On the other hand, the depot area in Lyon is super-close to its most scenic part, arguably more so than Reims. I think it's too hard for SCS to abandon it altogether, so I don't expect a Paris-style rebuild.

===============

Part 2: Around Germany

The upcoming reskin (other than Lyon) is Austria. I think Wien and Salzburg might get a Tier 3, but I don't think the others would go past Tier 2. As commented in that blog post, I'd like to see the A10 completed.

As for Switzerland, I don't think there would be anything past Tier 2. Although I would be pleasantly surprised if they rework the minor road between A2 and Austria (I suspect it should be A13 in real life) or even add Vaduz into the mix.

Next is probably Benelux and / or Czech Republic / Slovakia.

For Netherlands, both Amsterdam and Rotterdam are T junction infested now so any sensible rebuild for them will have to be Tier 3 or above. Also, Europoort and / or IJmuiden should be a proper city.

For Belgium, I don't expect major changes to either cities (Liège) , but I do think completing A3 / E40 should be done, and if possible, add in Brugge to better balance the coastal area.

Czech is somewhat well connected so I cannot think of anything better. I mean, the less-satisfactory part of the country is towards Poland, and is rather dependent on how Poland will be re-skined. For Prague, though, letting truckers view the headquarters of SCS in-game might be a good idea.

For Slovakia, Bratislava definitely needs a Tier 4 revamp -- those bloody flat junctions! Also, I would love it if Považská Bystrica (along D1) becomes accessible.

Poland is a bit complicated. I think the road south from Szczecin towards Prague can be dualled to reflect real-life better.

===============

Part 3: Great Britain!

A lot of people beg for the UK to be revamped. Well, yes I do think so too, but if we only go for road revamp we are not getting anywhere.

This place should be split into phases, with the final one coincide with a, say, Ireland DLC.

My take is to, of course, start from the Southeast.

Part 1 (South England and Wales)
1-1. Dover and the Channel tunnel port should be rationalized. M2 should be replaced by M20.
1-2. London definitely needs a Tier 5 revamp, i.e. align with at least Paris or Milano. The M25 should also be enlarged and have the Dartford crossing (A282) properly rendered.
1-3. Add Brighton between Dover and Southampton.
1-4. Add Bristol between London, Cardiff, Birmingham and Plymouth. Also rationalize the M4 / M5 junction.
1-5. Render roads in central Wales properly. And don't forget M50! (which is a minor road in the game)

Part 2 (North England)
2-1. Make Hull a proper city, at least like other DLC port cities. Also extend M62 there instead of patching a minor road over the UKTS map.
2-2. Rationalize the Liverpool / Manchester area by properly aligning M56 and M53. Extend M56 and render M60 to allow better access to Manchester from the south.
2-3. Properly sign A1 south of Newcastle to be A1(M).
2-4. Add Middleborough between Hull and Newcastle, extend the minor road between M6 and A1 to Middlesborough and properly sign it as A66.
2-5. Properly sign A69 (Newcastle to Carlisle)

Part 3 (Scotland)
3-1. Properly sign A7 (Carlisle to Edinburgh). Glasgow can do with Tier 2 but Edinburgh needs Tier 3.
3-2. Add Inverness and properly extend A9 there.
3-3. Render A82 and (follow example of ProMods) add Fort William if possible.
3-4. Properly sign the roads to Aberdeen (A90 / A92), and render the new A90 if possible.
3-5. Change the road west from Aberdeen to connect Inverness (A96)

Part 4 (Ireland DLC preparation)
4-1. Add Fishguard and render A40 / A48 to connect it with Swansea.
4-2. Add Holyhead and render A55 to connect it with Liverpool.
4-3. Add Stranraer, A75 and A77 for access from Glasgow and / or Carlisle.

I think this is more or less it...
I purposefully exclude DLC, even Going East, as I remember SCS said they'd do base game first.
killingjoke28336

#148 Post by killingjoke28336 » 22 Sep 2021 14:21

I think the rebuilds fall under the category better than nothing at least for me. With the amazing quality of Iberia the rebuilds still feel outdated because they are incoherent with the old city layouts. The quality jumps are even more obvious when the surrounding area is rebuild but as soon as you enter the city it is 2012 again. Time travel is possible after all.
I would rather like a complete overhaul with a big dedicated team and charge money for it.
oldmanclippy

#149 Post by oldmanclippy » 22 Sep 2021 15:00

@killingjoke28336 It's not out of the question that cities will be reworked someday. Pavel mentioned in this interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBXfzksG9IQ&t=5726s that
For example, we redid a road network in Germany, but we didn't manage to redo the cities yet, and the cities remain there as an internal debt
If we trust the translation, that sounds like a signal that proper city reworks are something they'd like to do in the future. We know California is getting city reworks at some point, and it sounds like Germany could get them someday even if that day is very far away. Technically we don't know that the Austrian rework will be roads-only yet or if the cities will be reworked as well. Heck we don't even know what the scope of the reworks is, as SCS hasn't even mentioned Austria by name yet. It could be Austria, it could be part of Austria, it could be Austria+Switzerland+Liechtenstein, we don't know.

My feeling is that yes the city reworks are coming at some point. SCS has spent all this energy on reworking French cities (some better like Reims, some worse like Strasbourg), so it would be weird if the rest of the base map never received the same attention. It might be a while before SCS is able to dedicate a team that has a mandate similar to the California team, but I'd really like to hope that ETS2 will receive similar treatment someday. Paris, Milan, and to a lesser extent Reims and Frankfurt all feel so much better to drive through than the rest of the Germany and France ones. Having just a small handful of blocks in a made-up industrial zone with the actual city included as a glorified skybox is very immersion-breaking compared to cities in newer DLCs. Vive la France also follows this boring grid pattern with some of its cities, but they all still manage to feel distinct and somewhat realistic. Even something like those would be a step up from what we have now in Germany.

Austria only has 6 cities so I think it's possible we get a city rework treatment for it along with the roads. Maybe not Milan-level or Paris-level, but ideally Reims- or Frankfurt-level. Hopefully better than Strasbourg-level. Sidenote @patrickov: I think Reims should be Tier 4. It uses proper intersections/roundabouts now and has a much more natural road layout. It feels like it belongs in Vive la France IMO, which I can't say about anything Tier 3 or below. Frankfurt feels similar in quality to VLF as well. Tier 5 for the most important cities and Tier 4 for the rest is what I'd like to see in an ideal rebuild.
killingjoke28336

#150 Post by killingjoke28336 » 22 Sep 2021 15:38

Ah this is good to hear that they got it planned in the future. The sooner they get a full team working on it the better. Right now I can only play ETS2 with the newer DLCs and the whole map is a big cluster of different qualities.

Return to “General discussion about the game”