Which area in ETS2 should be reworked next ?

Which are should be reworked next ??

United Kingdom
19%
BeNeLux
58%
Poland
11%
Hungary
5%
Slovakia
1%
Czech Republic
5%

Total votes: 274

IvanKuz

Re: Which area should be reworked ?

#151 Post by IvanKuz » 22 Sep 2021 17:58

patrickov wrote: 18 Sep 2021 11:43I find ETS2 reskins usually do little in improving the layout of the cities in the base map.

Tier 5 (complete rebuild): We only get two cities, Paris and Milano. Both serve as demonstrators of new DLCs.
Tier 4 (major changes to surrounding roads, inner city layout altered but not DLC-standard rebuild): Frankfurt am Main, Nürnberg, Dortmund*, Stuttgart*
Tier 3 (major changes to surrounding roads but inner city unchanged or only minor alignment change): Lille, Hamburg*, Erfurt, Kassel, Leipzig, Dresden
Tier 2 (moderate changes to surrounding roads): Reims, Erfurt, Rostock*, Berlin, Hannover, Osnabrück
Tier 1 (minor changes to surrounding roads or just simple reskin): Dijon, Metz, Strasbourg, Calais, Kiel, Magdeburg, Duisburg, Düsseldorf, Köln, Mannheim, München
Interesting ranking system. Leipzig should be Tier 4, same as Frankfurt, because its layout was completely changed from this to this, even though all its company prefabs remained the same. On the other hand, I think Nürnberg, Dortmund and Stuttgart all belong in Tier 3, because at their core they retained their generic city grids from GTS despite their significantly altered and improved surroundings.

Lyon so far is looking to be Tier 4 at least, and very possibly even Tier 5. The blog focused heavily on new areas and showed nothing of the old city center, and the old entrance to it from the east is now blocked. Assuming the Trameri depot on the last pic isn't just scenic, it looks like they might be ditching the old city center entirely and building new industrial areas along the surrounding freeways instead.
55sixxx

#152 Post by 55sixxx » 22 Sep 2021 18:37

Calais had a major change to it's port so i would rank it a tier 3.
Jacksonshaulage1

#153 Post by Jacksonshaulage1 » 22 Sep 2021 18:48

england looks nothing like real life and if scs want photos i travel up and down uk every day nearly.
Marcello Julio

#154 Post by Marcello Julio » 22 Sep 2021 20:11

SCS knows the whole situation in the UK and knows that the UK today in the game is nothing with the real. But as already stated, it will be reworked in the future.
IvanKuz

#155 Post by IvanKuz » 22 Sep 2021 20:51

oldmanclippy wrote: 22 Sep 2021 15:00SCS has spent all this energy on reworking French cities (some better like Reims, some worse like Strasbourg), so it would be weird if the rest of the base map never received the same attention.
Well, SCS didn't really spend a lot of energy reworking French cities, as it was mostly just MandelSoft working on them in his free time, and (if I'm not mistaken) other mappers only helped with Lille and Calais. And they were reworked in basically the same fashion as the German cities - all the same old prefabs and largely the same layouts, but with rebuilt interchanges - so in an ideal world some of them would have to be revisited again just like the German ones.

I also have to disagree with you about Reims. While it is certainly nicer than it used to be, I feel it is still done in the spirit of other base map cities. It features A344 cutting through the city instead of proper A4 which bypasses it, and outside of the immediate area near the stadium, it is still a rather fictional road grid with the same old prefabs, located where there should be a residential/university area according to real life. A Reims on the level of modern DLCs would have skipped that central area and A344 entirely (or perhaps only left the bus station), and featured A4 instead with a real industrial zone near it.
oldmanclippy

#156 Post by oldmanclippy » 22 Sep 2021 22:35

@IvanKuz I think the tier terminology is confusing anyways, I do agree with what you say about Reims. I think Tier 3 might be better suited for it at a second glance.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
krmarci

#157 Post by krmarci » 23 Sep 2021 18:22

patrickov wrote: 18 Sep 2021 11:43 I had praised SCS in the blog comments, but promised to leave a few words on the forum. So here we go...

Part 1: My prediction of Lyon reskin

I find ETS2 reskins usually do little in improving the layout of the cities in the base map.

Tier 5 (complete rebuild): We only get two cities, Paris and Milano. Both serve as demonstrators of new DLCs.
Tier 4 (major changes to surrounding roads, inner city layout altered but not DLC-standard rebuild): Frankfurt am Main, Nürnberg, Dortmund*, Stuttgart*
Tier 3 (major changes to surrounding roads but inner city unchanged or only minor alignment change): Lille, Hamburg*, Erfurt, Kassel, Leipzig, Dresden
Tier 2 (moderate changes to surrounding roads): Reims, Erfurt, Rostock*, Berlin, Hannover, Osnabrück
Tier 1 (minor changes to surrounding roads or just simple reskin): Dijon, Metz, Strasbourg, Calais, Kiel, Magdeburg, Duisburg, Düsseldorf, Köln, Mannheim, München

Notes:
Hamburg / Dortmund: Both are borderline cases. I put Dortmund higher because SCS actually inverted the city's directions and moved the quarry significantly
Stuttgart: The inner city actually stayed the same. The airport is what shot it up to Tier 4
Rostock: Tier 2 if the harbour is counted, Tier 1 otherwise

From the sneak peek, I think Lyon is most probably a Tier 3 or 4 reskin.

1. A46 is coming to encircle the city, which means it must at least qualify a Tier 3. If A89 completes its connection to Lyon (as in real-life) then it would be even more realistic, but I don't think it's on the list.
2. On the other hand, the depot area in Lyon is super-close to its most scenic part, arguably more so than Reims. I think it's too hard for SCS to abandon it altogether, so I don't expect a Paris-style rebuild.

===============

Part 2: Around Germany

The upcoming reskin (other than Lyon) is Austria. I think Wien and Salzburg might get a Tier 3, but I don't think the others would go past Tier 2. As commented in that blog post, I'd like to see the A10 completed.

As for Switzerland, I don't think there would be anything past Tier 2. Although I would be pleasantly surprised if they rework the minor road between A2 and Austria (I suspect it should be A13 in real life) or even add Vaduz into the mix.

Next is probably Benelux and / or Czech Republic / Slovakia.

For Netherlands, both Amsterdam and Rotterdam are T junction infested now so any sensible rebuild for them will have to be Tier 3 or above. Also, Europoort and / or IJmuiden should be a proper city.

For Belgium, I don't expect major changes to either cities (Liège) , but I do think completing A3 / E40 should be done, and if possible, add in Brugge to better balance the coastal area.

Czech is somewhat well connected so I cannot think of anything better. I mean, the less-satisfactory part of the country is towards Poland, and is rather dependent on how Poland will be re-skined. For Prague, though, letting truckers view the headquarters of SCS in-game might be a good idea.

For Slovakia, Bratislava definitely needs a Tier 4 revamp -- those bloody flat junctions! Also, I would love it if Považská Bystrica (along D1) becomes accessible.

Poland is a bit complicated. I think the road south from Szczecin towards Prague can be dualled to reflect real-life better.

===============

Part 3: Great Britain!

A lot of people beg for the UK to be revamped. Well, yes I do think so too, but if we only go for road revamp we are not getting anywhere.

This place should be split into phases, with the final one coincide with a, say, Ireland DLC.

My take is to, of course, start from the Southeast.

Part 1 (South England and Wales)
1-1. Dover and the Channel tunnel port should be rationalized. M2 should be replaced by M20.
1-2. London definitely needs a Tier 5 revamp, i.e. align with at least Paris or Milano. The M25 should also be enlarged and have the Dartford crossing (A282) properly rendered.
1-3. Add Brighton between Dover and Southampton.
1-4. Add Bristol between London, Cardiff, Birmingham and Plymouth. Also rationalize the M4 / M5 junction.
1-5. Render roads in central Wales properly. And don't forget M50! (which is a minor road in the game)

Part 2 (North England)
2-1. Make Hull a proper city, at least like other DLC port cities. Also extend M62 there instead of patching a minor road over the UKTS map.
2-2. Rationalize the Liverpool / Manchester area by properly aligning M56 and M53. Extend M56 and render M60 to allow better access to Manchester from the south.
2-3. Properly sign A1 south of Newcastle to be A1(M).
2-4. Add Middleborough between Hull and Newcastle, extend the minor road between M6 and A1 to Middlesborough and properly sign it as A66.
2-5. Properly sign A69 (Newcastle to Carlisle)

Part 3 (Scotland)
3-1. Properly sign A7 (Carlisle to Edinburgh). Glasgow can do with Tier 2 but Edinburgh needs Tier 3.
3-2. Add Inverness and properly extend A9 there.
3-3. Render A82 and (follow example of ProMods) add Fort William if possible.
3-4. Properly sign the roads to Aberdeen (A90 / A92), and render the new A90 if possible.
3-5. Change the road west from Aberdeen to connect Inverness (A96)

Part 4 (Ireland DLC preparation)
4-1. Add Fishguard and render A40 / A48 to connect it with Swansea.
4-2. Add Holyhead and render A55 to connect it with Liverpool.
4-3. Add Stranraer, A75 and A77 for access from Glasgow and / or Carlisle.

I think this is more or less it...
I purposefully exclude DLC, even Going East, as I remember SCS said they'd do base game first.
I would expect Vienna to be Tier 4, right now, its structure is completely unrealistic.

Also, my expectations for Hungary (not my wishes, that would be definitely much more...):
  • Budapest should also be Tier 4. The road crossing the city, similarly to Vienna, does not reflect reality.
  • Debrecen might be fine with a Tier 2 upgrade, but the M35/M4 should be extended to the Romanian border.
  • Szeged needs Tier 3, maybe even Tier 4. The M43 connection is ridiculous, that must be fixed; and the city structure is also a bit unrealistic, but that might be fine.
  • Pécs's structure is quite OK, Tier 1-2 might be enough, but if Croatia comes, it increases to Tier 3 due to the required connections.
dsf.fernando

#158 Post by dsf.fernando » 26 Sep 2021 19:44

patrickov wrote: 18 Sep 2021 11:43 I find ETS2 reskins usually do little in improving the layout of the cities in the base map.

Tier 3 (major changes to surrounding road but inner city unchanged or only minor alignment change): Lille, Hamburg*, Erfurt, Kassel, Leipzig, Dresden
Any possibility of cities gaining garages or truck dealers? i.e. those features would be very welcome at Faro.
Proud student of Games and Multimedia in the Polytechnic of Leiria - the Portuguese capital of game development
(and still hopeful the city will feature in the game with a garage someday)
taneorb

#159 Post by taneorb » 27 Sep 2021 15:24

Thinking about it, if they are rebuilding Austria with a plan for the next dlc to be the rest of the Balkans I wonder if it would be worth maybe touching up some of hungary.

I remember the first time playing on the vanilla map with the Black sea dlc there are some parts near the Hungary/Romania border where you go from SCS' modern style mapping straight into SCS 2012 maps and honestly that jarring shift in quality is one of the reasons I can't play ETS2 without Promods.

Not that Promods is perfect but it definitely smooths over some of these things.

But seeing as Hungary borders Croatia and Serbia it would be nice to at least modernise the motorway system, especially as it will then border 2 modern dlc's
oldmanclippy

#160 Post by oldmanclippy » 27 Sep 2021 16:06

@taneorb They have said previously that they won't be reworking any DLC areas until they finish reworking the base map. They may change their minds on that strategy, but for now that's the only information we have to work off of. I agree a Hungary rework would be ideal along with Switzerland, Austria, and Northern Italy to make the Western Balkans (if they are indeed coming in 2023) as easily accessible as possible. But I am skeptical that they will work on Hungary before Benelux or the UK.

Plus, the UK rework is a necessary prerequisite for a potential Ireland someday, but Hungary is not technically necessary. It would greatly enhance the experience, but it's not necessary. A UK rework is necessary. Plus Benelux is a more common transit zone than Hungary.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)

Return to “General discussion about the game”