Which area in ETS2 should be reworked next ?

Which are should be reworked next ??

United Kingdom
19%
BeNeLux
57%
Poland
12%
Hungary
6%
Slovakia
1%
Czech Republic
6%

Total votes: 304

harishw8r

Re: Which area should be reworked ?

#51 Post by harishw8r » 22 Apr 2021 10:07

Ummmmm... Austria, I never expected that. I thought they would do Benelux first and then the Alps, as Benelux is relatively smaller and the Alps might come as a bonus to the Western Balkans (assuming it follows HoR). Doing Austria and Swiss makes sense because that region is fully surrounded by regions with better mapping (France, Italy and Germany).

UK being worked in the background by a very small team is also a plausible guess.
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#52 Post by Mohegan13 » 22 Apr 2021 10:41

Well going back to my previous post; if they focused purely on UK we wouldn't see any movement on it for several years, which could give the impression they stopped updating old areas and cause a lot of moaning, questioning and what not, particularly since they probably wouldn't talk about it at all unless Pavel was to mention something in a live stream.

So working on a big one in the background slowly, while making moves in smaller areas like Austria with the main team just makes sense. We could potentially see some changes as early as 1.41 (I doubt it, but it is possible) and with the size of Austria compared to Germany we could see it completed in maybe two phases, depending on how much they want to do per phase.

It's the same thing they are doing with Texas, one person worked on it in the background while they focused on the last couple of DLC then when they are in that last 12 month-ish phase they stuck more on Texas to finish it and IMO it is the smarted way to do it as it also speeds up the whole process for the whole base map.
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
55sixxx

#53 Post by 55sixxx » 22 Apr 2021 13:44

My initial vote was for Benelux, but, since i haven't been travelling a lot in the upper part of Europe and way more on the southern part... I'm happy with these pointers that Austria and Switzerland will probably be next. And given the size of them, i would say that 3 to 4 major updates will be enough to complete it. (Or if SCS is bold enough, the rework can come full in just one update... It's not impossible, specially when talking about Switzerland.).

I really like these places IRL (I think they're quite beautiful) but in-game, they are not represented very well due to limitations SCS had back then. So whatever comes next, i'm happy.

Edit: Updated info on the first post about Germany rework.
Last edited by 55sixxx on 22 Apr 2021 14:22, edited 1 time in total.
harishw8r

#54 Post by harishw8r » 22 Apr 2021 14:20

I predict two updates with a gap or two between them. The rate of reskin would only increase over time, as we have dedicated teams working on it.
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#55 Post by Mohegan13 » 22 Apr 2021 14:34

There is no money in it for SCS as the updates are free, so don't expect big dedicated teams like normal new DLC map teams. It will only ever be a small side team working in the background as is possible to do so. The team will likely be called away to help with DLC maps at times too as most likely happened with Germany the last 2 map updates.
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
Some newbie driver

#56 Post by Some newbie driver » 22 Apr 2021 18:53

ATS map teams (for regular sized DLCs, not Texas of course) are around 10-12 mappers.

So we can estimate at most 4 mappers for old zones rebuilds.

And we don't even know if that staff is tasked with both games rebuilds.

Regards
Sora

#57 Post by Sora » 22 Apr 2021 21:12

I'd prefer Benelux or Switzerland/Austria just because they're both islands of base-map in the middle of otherwise good sections of map, and small enough to be eliminated within one or two updates.

UK and Going East both need it too, but they're way more work. UK in particular is triply awkward because it's easy to avoid, and because the scale mandates either a rescaling or more work than its size indicates.
Reis_6

#58 Post by Reis_6 » 22 Apr 2021 22:02

Interesting the view that Austria and Switzerland could be the new rework of base map. I miss a lot of UK with the quality of the current scenary, a extension of Scandinavia (narrow roads would fall very well, although our AI maybe does not allow...)
But, as was said before here in the topic, it would be very cool to have mountain regions and more beautiful landscapes that exist in this region of Austria/Switzerland. Well, let's see what SCS will bring to us in the near future.
wato

#59 Post by wato » 22 Apr 2021 23:38

In my opinion a rework of Switzerland/Austria (that's Central Europe by the way, Southern Europe is Iberia, Italy, Balkans, and Greece) would add the most value ATM. Routes between Iberia and the East, France and RttBS, Italy and everything except Western Europe all pass through there and especially for Iberia and Italy, but also coming from France or Southern Germany it's a transition from some of the newest to some of the oldest parts of the map.

Of course all older parts of the map show their age and a rework would be great, but the UK and Benelux is easier to avoid while still having diverse routes throughout the rest of the map.

But then again I might be biased as I live in Switzerland :)
Anyways, at the end of the day any rework is great and improves the overall quality of the game.
Frayner

#60 Post by Frayner » 23 Apr 2021 00:05

I say if they do the Switzerland/Austria area of the map next, they should include a little bit of bother Italy, mainly the areas around Milano, Turin, Verona and Venice, since these were part of the old map and only got a reskin with the new interchanges, and still have the old highway layout and backgrounds.
Intel i9 13900K, 32 GB RAM, MSI RTX™ 4090 SUPRIM LIQUID X 24G, Bigscreen Beyond

Return to “General discussion about the game”