ETS2 1.40 speculation thread

Some newbie driver

Re: ETS2 1.40 speculation thread

#181 Post by Some newbie driver » 23 Dec 2020 14:08

Yes, it seems that this approach of cut with the old at some point would be rational for the future of Windows...

And then you find that the number 1 download from the Download Center of Microsoft is the package with all the old DX runtimes that Windows 10 doesn't include (seen just today, I needed it for a machine of a customer).

And then you realizes why Microsoft is not going to do what Apple does. Plain and simple: timing of the IT industry aren't timings of the rest of the world. Apple does what it does because it has zero relevance on industry as professional tools (beyond imaging companies), while millions of Windows machines throughout the whole planet can't be forcefully outdated with that kind of practices. Nobody is going to change machinery costing hundreds of thousands or millions of euros and with expected lives of 20 or more years because Microsoft decides to cut x86 support for the IT related equipements. They would take a shotgun and go to the Redmond offices to "have a talk".

Regards
plykkegaard

#182 Post by plykkegaard » 23 Dec 2020 14:24

Sorry but there's a handful of reasons why you want to replace old HW

Firts and foremost it's all related to cost savings
It is not in your best interest to keep outdated HW alive and kicking

Yes I know old software controlling industrial machinery can also be a factor :)

I have seen quite a few very nice servers been replaces in despite their condition and lifespan
But once running costs (power usage) exceeds reinvestment costs ...

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Some newbie driver

#183 Post by Some newbie driver » 23 Dec 2020 14:53

I'm not talking about changing the IT hardware. I'm talking about Microsoft not forcefully dumping old procedures and features so easily and happily as Apple does; because lots of old software depends on them. Software that CAN'T be replaced unless you replace machinery for a LOT of money, the machinery that software controlled. The example of the DirectX runtimes I put is a clear example. It's not part of the base Windows 10, but here there are an updated installer to allow include them if necessary into Windows 10. So necessary that it's the top 1 download from Microsoft.

That's what, from the games perspective, allows us to keep playing very old games in most cases without big problems. Because somewhere hidden in the new OS or at least as a patch to be downloaded is the part of the OS code needed to run those games. If Microsoft would behave as does Apple, SCS games would be in the edge of what it could be played due its age. Of course, if Microsoft would behave like Apple, they wouldn't be so widespread as they are. And now we are at a point in where SCS has a code too old to be properly played on Mac due Apple policies; while with Microsoft we can still keep going. In the meantime SCS is updating their game because they know they are running out of time. But SCS resources aren't infinite and of course they will prioritize the vast majority of their customers. I really hope it doesn't take too long to see SCS transition to Vulkan. At the end it would be the best for everybody. We all would have a modern and powerful base for the game, people should not worry their kind of computer/OS would behave worse than other options in the game and SCS would had more manpower to do interesting things; now wasted into keeping 2 different API integrations. But that will not happen next year and probably neither on 2022.

And I'm not saying M$ policy is better than Apple one or vice versa. I'm just saying that it's good to know where one puts its money on a computer for the long run. Because Macs or high end gaming PC are very expensive, not everybody has so many money as to light Cuban cigars with Franklins. Unfortunately, most people isn't aware of those things and a lot more related to computers and end finding too late that the high effort they did on purchasing a certain computer was a bad invest. All depends on what you really need; but not so many people knows that they really need.

Regards
MacCekko

#184 Post by MacCekko » 23 Dec 2020 22:57

Guys, since we're are talking future possibilities, and I cannot find any info about what I am willing to ask, nor I am able to even understand in which area/thread to possibly create a specific post in this sense, am I allowed to do a small OffTopic (again!) while asking something to you? Should this be not allowed, I will certainly remove this post of mine.

I wanted to know if any one of you has any info about the possibility one day in the next/far future of releases of tuning DLCs for Iveco, MAN, and Renault, just like in the past we've seen those for Scania, DAF and Mercedes.
If so, do we (or does SCS) have some potential dates about these?
Thank you.
MoBo Asus ROG Strix Z790-F Gaming WiFi • Intel Core i7-13700KF (13th Gen) @ 3.4 GHz • Asus ROG Strix Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24 Gb • 32 Gb RAM • Win 10 Pro 64-bit • Asus ROG STRIX XG32UQ 32" monitor @ 4K (3840x2160) & 160 Hz
parasaurolophus67

#185 Post by parasaurolophus67 » 24 Dec 2020 01:00

No. Its better to keep it as a surprise if you ask me.
plykkegaard

#186 Post by plykkegaard » 24 Dec 2020 01:32

Yep, it's ready when it's ready, it's difficult to give a date up front
You give a date but it's ready a month before schedule, you want to release but you loose credibility, or you need to postpone due to some unknown factor, problem etc and you release a couple of months late again you loose credibility
Withoiut a fixed schedule it's easier to mix things and move around with your workforce to get the most effective workload, sometimes you are ahead of schedule and sometimes you are behind it is diffcult to predict

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
MacCekko

#187 Post by MacCekko » 24 Dec 2020 02:33

Oh no, no, I apologise, I have been lacking precision in my question. I wanted to know IF they (meaning SCS) will EVER going to release such tuning DLCs or not – I am asking since I have NEVER heard rumours about anything on this front.
In the first case, a possible date (so that one could answer me: "Yeah, let's say in the next 24 months!") would still be great, since it would keep alive the speculative process. That's all. Anyway, thank you for your answers, I really appreciate your patience and kindness. :)
MoBo Asus ROG Strix Z790-F Gaming WiFi • Intel Core i7-13700KF (13th Gen) @ 3.4 GHz • Asus ROG Strix Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24 Gb • 32 Gb RAM • Win 10 Pro 64-bit • Asus ROG STRIX XG32UQ 32" monitor @ 4K (3840x2160) & 160 Hz
parasaurolophus67

#188 Post by parasaurolophus67 » 24 Dec 2020 02:35

well they will but it takes time like approval and stuff. It can be in months or a year. who knows.
Some newbie driver

#189 Post by Some newbie driver » 24 Dec 2020 18:53

@MacCekko we can say with a high degree of certainty that those tuning DLC you mention are in their "to-do" list. Nothing in SCS behavior or interests make me think it could be the opposite.

Point is that everything done over vehicles (trucks, trailers, AI vehicles, tuning dlcs...) for both games are done b y the same vehicles team. So the amount of time to do tuning parts is limited by all the other more priority things to do.

Also the fact that if they would release soon all the tuning DLCs, they will have no one more to use it as a filler in future years. Consider this 2020, two tuning packs are almost the only ETS2-specific content we had this year due delays in others.

In fact, I hope they had a good truck to release on 1.40 apart of the light changes and the map. Because it's 'bout time to release one.

Regards
CarbonGTGaming

#190 Post by CarbonGTGaming » 25 Dec 2020 01:15

Thing is not everyone will have DX12 built into there PCs some still have DX11 SCS needs to remember that not everyone can afford new technology I personally looking forward to the new lighting system as what someone mentioned it shouldn’t affect performance which is good for me cos am still playing on my 6 year old All in One PC and planning on upgrading around 2021

Return to “General discussion about the game”