Forum and modding wiki won't be available this weekend, March 6-7. Sorry for the inconvenience!

ETS2 1.40 speculation thread

Some newbie driver

Re: ETS2 1.40 speculation thread

#261 Post by Some newbie driver » 21 Jan 2021 22:21

J.Random wrote:
21 Jan 2021 22:06
No idea where you're getting your numbers. Mirrors are just small-res viewports.
And as any viewport, it means the game has to render everything in the windows of that camera that is later shown in that viewport. The low res of the viewport reduces the GPU load on the final parts of the whole process, but doesn't reduce the CPU load that has to be done first. To lower the load on the CPU that viewport has to sacrifice some things, like SCS does with shadows for example. If not, the cost of rendering that viewport is almost the same of render the main point of view, with the main difference to be only the rasterization and beyond parts of the whole render process; as there's way less resolution as you correctly said.

So, again, in a game that bottlenecks almost any CPU on the market (unless you use a joke of a GPU chat could be bottlenecked way before) because its limitation on the mostly-mono-core architecture; it's not a good idea to do such a change that would require a lot extra CPU to be managed. Specially considering than we are almost always having several mirrors in sight (other games could render them more nicely, but appear located in selected scenes where the strain can be reduced)

I would like a lot to see what you ask for. But as the game how it's now I really doubt they would add it because a minimal amount of players could benefit from it at all. Maybe the 1.40 lighting change will be bigger and deeper than I expect and SCS is going to add something like you ask (even if just partially). But I don't think its going to happen in the first stage of the lighting changes.

Who knows maybe they made me had to retire those words. I would be very happy to do so.

Regards

J.Random

#262 Post by J.Random » 21 Jan 2021 22:36

I seriously fail at understanding where do you get the extra CPU load in your scenario. It's the same scene, the models are already there, I'm pretty sure that shading is pure GPU load.

xXCARL1992Xx

#263 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 21 Jan 2021 22:39

every scene you see is separately rendered, there is no "already there", so you have 7 scenes rendered (or 8 in ATS case) with all mirrors in view
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |

plykkegaard

#264 Post by plykkegaard » 21 Jan 2021 22:43

It's a known fact that the F2 mirrors puts a toll on the FPS count
It is also known that riding outside the cab gives better FPS
Office moved to Fort Collins, Colorado

Some newbie driver

#265 Post by Some newbie driver » 21 Jan 2021 23:30

J.Random wrote:
21 Jan 2021 22:36
It's the same scene, the models are already there
No, it's not the same scene. The first part of the 3D rendering is to purge from calculations anything that it's not in the view window (the models will remain loaded in memory, but no further calculation will be made on them for the current frame render).

Each mirror you add to the model adds a new view point with its own view window (that once rendered, is shown in the viewport depicting the mirror in the scene). As in the case of our virtual trucks, those mirrors exist to show us things we wouldn't see at all, everything seen on trucks mirrors is extra load to the render. If those renders would be complete (same details and same visual calculations) than the main point of view; the only reduction of load would come from the part of rasterization (convert from 3D calculated scene to a 2D output visible for us) due the smaller resolution of the viewports and anything that could com later (SSAO applied to that raster, or ports-processing shaders, AA and others).

It's not a small amount of work but the lighting done before rasterization is with difference the one that consume a lot more resources. SCS reduces (A LOT) the load those mirrors cause by noticeably reducing the content shown and the effects applied. And even doing so, you can easily notice the toll the mirrors cause on FPS when enabling or disabling F2 virtual mirrors (even everything else remain static and you don't move the camera at all). If you use an FPS counter overlay, the difference is a big chunk of extra FPS.
xXCARL1992Xx wrote:
21 Jan 2021 22:39
so you have 7 scenes rendered (or 8 in ATS case) with all mirrors in view
Up to 9 scenes for ETS2 in case somebody has enough FOV to include all mirrors and even so he uses F2 ones (very unlikely though). 2 more scenes for ATS if both hood mirrors are visible.

Regards

jdwarfer

#266 Post by jdwarfer » 23 Jan 2021 18:03

So there's no way to render the same scene in those mirrors? Like, just rendering a different point of view of it?
Another screen is forcefully another scene?

SiSL
SCS Software

#267 Post by SiSL » 23 Jan 2021 18:18

Different point of view = different scene :)

Yes, because of caches they may not be "loaded" from disk but from memories, however, re-rendering is a must. For each and every mirror.

plykkegaard

#268 Post by plykkegaard » 23 Jan 2021 18:28

... as the mirrors are not exact copies of each other, they need to be rendered as independent
Office moved to Fort Collins, Colorado

jdwarfer

#269 Post by jdwarfer » 23 Jan 2021 18:35

So it's how programming works and no fancy graphical technology could change that I guess.

Reinhard

#270 Post by Reinhard » 23 Jan 2021 18:46

Any mirror for sure has a performance impact. But how much? I guess these mirrors pointing to the ground are rather harmless. Not much to render.

Rear mirrors will afford more computing time. But less than the main view. First, they are smaller. The FOV is more narrow. And the view distance is lower. All three factors mean there are less objects to render, than in the main view.

I assume SCS graphics team has discussed it on and on, internally, if shadows in the mirrors should be allowed, as an option - or not. But I'd really like to have a peep. ;)

Return to “General discussion about the game”