Abandonment of Scania R (Older Gen)

Should the old gen Scania R and Streamline be reworked ??

Sure, i think it would be nice and also good for the game.
83%
Nope, it's unnecessary and it's not worthy of a remake.
17%

Total votes: 152

55sixxx

Abandonment of Scania R (Older Gen)

#1 Post by 55sixxx » 10 Nov 2020 19:19

Hi, a few days ago this subject came to my mind and now i decided to create a thread to discuss it.

As many of you may know, the previous generation of the Scania R was the flagship of ETS2. Every type of publicity that the game had back in those days were made using this particular model, i remember it because I've been playing ETS2 since it's release back in 2012.

The main point of this thread is to discuss whether is viable or not for SCS to rework the in-game model to better quality standards. The state the truck is currently, feels pretty abandoned and it's very unfair given the reasons i wrote above (It was the game's flagship for a long while).

The main problems i see on it are (In order of most critical to less critical bugs/quirks):

- The truck sits way too high up the ground. It wasn't like this before and it isn't like this IRL (Proper ride height example here and on this old screenshot i took in 2013 which is here)
- The fifth wheel it's mounted too far ahead of the rear axle, which makes the exhaust stacks and etc clip through the trailer. Especially Krone and vanilla ones. (Check this video from Stavros969, put it at the minute 1:28 and notice that the fifth wheel it's aligned with the front of the rear fenders. Link here)
- The existing sidebars for it are floating around and have no attach to the sideskirts whatsoever. (Attached below of this list)
- Lack of tuning when compared to the NG and other trucks.
- Lack of proper exhaust tips (Affects other trucks as well but i'm going to mention here anyways)

There are other bits here and there but the ones above are the main ones. Also note that those problems affect both R and Streamline models.

Picture references here:

wrong fifth wheel placement
ets2_20201104_180326_00.jpg
ets2_20201104_180434_00.jpg
Too much ride height
ets2_20201104_182631_00.jpg
Floating sidebars and also features the wrong placement of the fifth wheel
ets2_20201104_182652_00.jpg

My opinion about this is that, SCS should think about this subject before releasing more tuning packs. Many people enjoy this Scania generation but don't use it because of the problems i mentioned. Give your thoughts about this subject below and don't forget to vote on the poll.
dahaka

Re: Abandonment of Scania R (Older Gen)

#2 Post by dahaka » 10 Nov 2020 19:57

When I spoke about the 5th wheel position, that is too close for comfort to the cabin, I was told it was working as intended.
When I mentioned the smoke stacks clipping, I was told that its intended too, they wont fix it, since the smoke stacks are only used for tuning shows IRL. which is not the case cause I see trucks in the Netherlands daily which have them, and are working normally.

Lets hope SCS takes care of these things at some point.
Dan

#3 Post by Dan » 10 Nov 2020 20:03

The entire truck needs to be remade from scratch, Fred's Scania would be perfect as a base, or just leave it as it is and replace the old model
abasstreppas

#4 Post by abasstreppas » 10 Nov 2020 20:03

For me the main problem is the whole truck. They have to redo everything. The cab proportions are way off, among other things. They did an effort to fix the roof some years ago, but even if you polish poop it's still poop. It's sad because the 5 and 6 series is such a nice looking truck in reality ;)
Dan

#5 Post by Dan » 10 Nov 2020 20:06

Honestly, it's slightly annoying how SCS teased sound recordings of a 4-series, had an entire game dedicated to Scania, the cover of that game featuring the irl truck, and it still has this unreasonably high ride height
weejohn67

#6 Post by weejohn67 » 10 Nov 2020 20:09

there is so much they need to get right on the Original Trucks, FH2012 ride height, mid cabbed with no spoiler, Scania Streamline Highline spoiler so high that you need 4.4m trailer to look right , original R with no spoiler
so many chances with upgrades over the years to get it right but choose not to.
Unlikely to revisit the Scania's now with the NGs
Sorry English is my 1st language , i am just bad at spellin :D

WOT https://www.worldoftrucks.com/en/profile/18729
Wolfi
Beta tester

#7 Post by Wolfi » 10 Nov 2020 20:14

The old Scanias have the same issues as every other old truck in ETS2 - they are crap. They look nowhere near close to the original. The only solution would be to scrap all of the old trucks and rebuild them from scratch using CAD files, like with every new truck.
But there are 3 problems with this:
1. it requires insane amount of time (at least 6 months for a truck, probably more)
2. rework of old trucks won't pay for itself, it's a costly process which will return little to no money invested
3. licensing may be an issue with some of the trucks

So, as much as I would love to see old truck reworked/rebuilt, I'm afraid that is not going to happen. (at least not in ETS2)
The smallest details always make the biggest difference.
abasstreppas

#8 Post by abasstreppas » 10 Nov 2020 20:21

I really wonder if isn't possible to "finance" popular older truck rebuilds with a bunch of addon DLC's for those trucks. Scania has been easy on licencing so far so that wouldn't be a problem
pigbrother

#9 Post by pigbrother » 10 Nov 2020 20:23

I wrote kinda the same reply as Wolfi, so I have to delete half of it. Scania NGs and Renault T are nice, MAN TGX 6 needs a retexturing and Mercedes New Actros is tolerable and maybe salvageable. All other 12 trucks are bad and, as he said above, I really doubt they will be ever improved.

I feel your pain, I put 1.000.000 km in XF105, but I cannot stand it anymore no matter how many tweaks and parts I throw at it. So now I'm riding this Tupperware on wheels called Renault T and that's it.
I have approximate knowledge of many things
Some newbie driver

#10 Post by Some newbie driver » 10 Nov 2020 20:32

Wolfi wrote: 10 Nov 2020 20:141. it requires insane amount of time (at least 6 months for a truck, probably more)
As per their words in several new truck releases recently, 3 modelers for a 1 year period for a whole complete model at actual detail level. That doesn't mean they only work for it all the year (there are probably lots of "pauses" when waiting for other's work, documentation or for validations); but the process takes 1 year.

So, probably you are right, that's not going to happen, specially when they are a lot of trucks that even aren't in the game and considering the vehicles team works include ATS too (where there are still more trucks to be done than on ETS2).

Fixing specific details probably yes, whole new models? Not in a mid-term.

Return to “General discussion about the game”