ETS2 ultimate concept map (WIP)

IvanKuz

ETS2 ultimate concept map (WIP)

#1 Post by IvanKuz » 16 Nov 2020 23:07

Hi everyone! I'd like to finally share something that I have been slowly working on on-and-off for quite a while now :)
This project was heavily inspired by ads678's excellent ATS concept map, but focuses on ETS2 instead, and probably has a more idealistic, wishful nature.

Please keep in mind that:
  • This is a work in progress. I've only added and reworked a few territories so far. I'd like to add as much stuff as possible in the future, but I can't afford to spend a lot of time on this, so the work has been rather slow.
  • I aim for realism in terms of map scale, but not necessarily for realism in terms of what we should plausibly expect in the near future. Think of this less as "what ETS2 would look like in X years" and more as "what ETS2 would look like in X years in an ideal world where SCS has unlimited money" ;)
  • This was started long before the surprising new Russia expansion was teased, so don't pay much attention to the colours of potential DLCs - the DLC borders are almost certainly inaccurate and will have to be updated when we learn more.
Image Image Image
(full size images available by clicking on the previews above)

Some additional notes:
  • While I'll admit that some places were added more because of the "coolness" factor than anything (e.g. much of Northern Scandinavia), I believe that pretty much every single dot on the map is justified. Sure, some of them are small towns or villages with barely a thousand inhabitants - but there is always a quarry, a forestry area, a marina, a local warehouse or something else that makes it belong in the game. Such places are usually counted as part of the nearest big dot city (except for nuclear power plants for some reason), but in the absence of big cities in the north I believe the approach should change a little.
  • Yes, Moscow is so huge that I gave it a new type of a super-big dot. The other such huge dots are planned to be London (once its rebuilt) and Istanbul (once its complete with the rest oh Turkey - currently the game contains only about 1/4 of the city)
  • The names of cities in Belarus are written in accordance with the official transliteration rules. I'm not sure if it was the right choice to use them in this context though, because this spelling differs from English and can get rather confusing. For example, "Polack" should really be pronounced "Polatsk" or "Polotsk", and is spelled so on most maps.
  • I removed the Hull - Esbjerg ferry route as it no longer exists in real life. I also added a bunch of new ferries between the existing vanilla cities: Bergen - Stavanger, Travemünde - Trelleborg, Marseille - Ajaccio, Marseille - Sassari, Porto-Vecchio - Napoli. As far as I know, all these are valid ferry routes IRL, although feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Any feedback and suggestions are welcome!
Last edited by IvanKuz on 22 Nov 2020 02:10, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my ETS2 concept map that I'm sometimes working on!

Hukedalen

Re: ETS2 ultimate concept map (WIP)

#2 Post by Hukedalen » 16 Nov 2020 23:29

It looks very great👍

Mc.Duli

#3 Post by Mc.Duli » 16 Nov 2020 23:44

Nice job! I would like to see cities in Poland like Radom, Kielce, Bydgoszcz, Toruń, Zielona Góra, Suwałki, Koszalin, Opole, and of course remodeled road grid of Poland because it's very outdated (there is much more highways and expressways now) ;)

IvanKuz

#4 Post by IvanKuz » 17 Nov 2020 00:53

Thank you :)

I've only started with Poland, I'd like to do more. However, I deliberately excluded Suwałki because I couldn't fit it in a satisfactory way. I know ProMods has both it and Augustow, and they did a great job, but that whole area felt a bit to crammed to me, so I had to sacrifice it.
Check out my ETS2 concept map that I'm sometimes working on!

coolusername

#5 Post by coolusername » 18 Nov 2020 14:27

Stunning map. Makes me want a "beyond the arctic circle" DLC even more, since the current Scandinavia DLC isn't even half of what it should be :roll:
Iceland <-> UK <-> MiddleEurope <-> Scandinavia <-> Svalbard - POLAR EXPRESS
flickr

krmarci

#7 Post by krmarci » 18 Nov 2020 17:24

Well done! I would also recommend checking out my concept map in my signature, maybe that can give you some more ideas... ;-)
The Moscow area and the Baltics are probably a bit too dense, though.

tobrago

#8 Post by tobrago » 18 Nov 2020 18:09

The concept of the map is bad. Where is the Western Balkans, Greece!
Google translator
Greetings and cheers
Keep truckin'

Image Image Image

krmarci

#9 Post by krmarci » 18 Nov 2020 18:13

@tobrago That's what WIP means. It's not finished yet.

LegoTechnicFanBoi

#10 Post by LegoTechnicFanBoi » 18 Nov 2020 21:40

Resolution of the maps are too low

Return to “General discussion about the game”