Poll: Which area should SCS add to ETS2 next?

Which area Should SCS include next?

Further East (Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova)
14%
More of Russia / Release HoR
24%
Caucasian Countries (Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan)
2%
Ireland
32%
Iceland
9%
More of Turkey
16%
North Africa
3%

Total votes: 274

Some newbie driver

Re: Poll: Which area should SCS include after Russia?

#241 Post by Some newbie driver » 24 Sep 2021 10:19

IvanKuz wrote: 23 Sep 2021 21:17There is a reason why Saint Petersburg is always the first non-base map city to get completed during Christmas events. Russia is a pretty huge market, same as Turkey.
Is not just the size of the market, but the proud of their land. And it's not just St.Petersburg, in all those recent evens one can see there's a lot of people that doesn't rest until all Russian cities had been fulfilled. It seems they took it as something personal (in the good sense of the expression). So, it's clear that this DLC has a lot of potential and desirability way beyond what a couple of hundreds of us could vote here in a poll.

But the main reason for sure is what Shiva already suggested lots of months ago: either they start to map big chunks of Russia now (Baltiocs was just a small taste) and intercalate with other places, either we will have 3 or 4 consecutive Russian DLC. As the second option is way worse from the marketing perspective; better to start right now.

I hope sometimes they arrive to Caucasus, to be able to have real big mountains like the US orography provide for ATS.

Regards
oldmanclippy

#242 Post by oldmanclippy » 24 Sep 2021 14:43

IvanKuz wrote: 23 Sep 2021 21:17 All in all, there is enough here for 3-5 more DLCs after HoR - I made a rough draft of what could they they could look like a while back. Splice them inbetween other DLCs for increased variety (Western Balkans, Fennoscandia, Turkey, Iceland, etc.), and you'll have a steady stream of revenue for the next decade.
I've always liked that map whenever you post it. Realistically I think that's as far as SCS will go with ETS2 except for maybe venturing into Northern Africa at some point. I don't think there's a lot to gain by going further into the black regions of your map besides Northern Africa. Leave the Middle East to ProMods unless something very drastic changes in geopolitics. Your three Russia-included DLC's post-HoR are good choices. Kazakhstan interests me a lot. It's a shame that all the most important cities such as Almaty, Nur-Sultan, Karagandy, etc are all in the eastern side of the country. At least I'd like to see the undeniably European part like you have in your map.

The most intriguing question in terms of when are we getting certain DLCs and in what form would be: what will happen to Ireland and Iceland? Will they be bundled or separate? Will one come much earlier than the other? Is Iceland even guaranteed to come? Would the Ireland DLC include northern Scotland and western Wales, or would they be added to the base map?

I spend a lot of time theorizing about what to expect next in American Truck Simulator, but I think it's often more interesting to do so with ETS2. Once ATS gets started establishing a pattern or releases post-Texas, it will become easier to predict what's next. Plus there's a definitive goal: finish the lower 48, with Canada and/or Mexico coming later or possibly concurrently with this mission. But with ETS2, we have no idea what SCS's ambitions are. Is it to finish continental Europe? How much of Russia will they include? How far into Asia do they dare venture? Is Africa on the table? If so, would they start in Northern Africa, or would Egypt be a first target? How big will each DLC be as time goes on? Will they switch to an ATS twice-a-year-model at any point? How dense will they choose to make Northern Scandinavia/Fennoscandia? Does all of this depend on how well the game does, i.e. are they planning to keep going with ETS2 as long as people are buying, or will they be satisfied and call the game finished?

I do wish that the ETS2 side was as active as the ATS side. We get tons of discussion over there about what's coming after Texas+Montana and we don't really get that as much over on the ETS2 side.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
Some newbie driver

#243 Post by Some newbie driver » 24 Sep 2021 16:25

I think that's because here most people don't want to speculate what could came next, but they want THEIR homeland to be added next. Once they have that, they were satisfied enough and don't have any more preferences for the next DLC. And considering how advanced the map is in ETS2 (several years of advantage and bigger DLC each year); makes there's not so many people that still is eager to see their homeland.

While in ATS you don't know 100% what will come next, but you know for sure what will not arrive (so guessing is "less frustrating"?). And whatever, it will be the "homeland" of lots of players anyway, even if not specifically their living zone. So they keep eager to see how it grows.

Regards
oldmanclippy

#244 Post by oldmanclippy » 24 Sep 2021 20:06

@Some newbie driver that's a good point. For me it's endlessly novel to inch closer and closer to my home in ATS. Raton NM, Sterling CO, and now Gillette WY. There's a sign in Cheyenne pointing towards Omaha which is only a 5.5 hour drive from me. So I understand why people are excited about their homeland. And with me I know it's probably a long ways off so it'll keep me invested in ATS at least until that.

With ETS2, I've only been to Europe twice (London and Paris both of which were in the base map) so my interests are less personal so I can get excited pretty much equally for any country to come next. But I can see why someone who got their homeland in the game doesn't have that same energy about wondering what comes next, because the thing they were waiting for the most has already arrived.

We'll see how @flight50's enthusiasm is maintained after Texas :lol: I have a feeling flight will have the same energy but that may be the exception to the rule. A lot of the other ATS regulars are from the east coast or midwest so they're still waiting for their home to come. Whereas I think a lot of the ETS2 regulars here already have their countries represented. We have a few regulars from Belarus, Ukraine, Serbia, Greece, Anatolia, etc who are still waiting but I think most of the people here have their homeland represented already so I think you are on to something with your hypothesis.

Slovenia, Northern Ireland, Ireland, and Croatia are among those who have been tortured the longest by being tantalizingly close to in-game roads for the longest. Although perhaps poor Liechtenstein is the truest victim, being mere meters away from mapped roads since the very beginning :lol:
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
Some newbie driver

#245 Post by Some newbie driver » 24 Sep 2021 20:47

Well, you will know how it feels once you see in the game places that are something in your daily life. ;)
flight50

#246 Post by flight50 » 24 Sep 2021 21:22

@oldmanclippy Its always nice to see one's home. For SCS to map within miles of one's house is the exciting part. SCS will map like 2-3 minutes from my home when that time comes. I'm right off a major interstate so no choice. To relate to your day to day roads traveled is pretty cool. But at 1:20 scale, that rush comes and goes. I honestly don't think I'll turn up another notch than where I am already, lol. I'm more interested in places that are outside of my comfort zone. There's a huge game world out there waiting for us to explore.
dahaka

#247 Post by dahaka » 24 Sep 2021 22:30

Well, to be fair the thread is called which area should come next, not which area you think will come next. I was actually frustrated a lot on previous threads, because people were like, oh its gonna be this, it has to be this because insert random hint from SCS. I see this thread as a tool to show SCS what the community wants. Sure, they have already decided on the next 3 DLCs, but these threads have been going on since before I joined this forum, they must have at least given a hint to SCS about what the community wants.

Well, I guess if Western Balkans don't come after HoR, then we can say that SCS doesn't pay any mind to this type of threads. Until then I'll hold out hope that at least in part we are influencing their decisions.
Some newbie driver

#248 Post by Some newbie driver » 24 Sep 2021 22:57

Well dahaka, our interests (that at best they will be an average) are just one of the lots of different reasons SCS has to weight when deciding next DLC. And we know they plan with no less than 2 years to the future. So, actually and as example, they had to face how the pandemics and the big delays for Iberia (as more notable things) could had distorted their plans in God knows how many ways.

Happens the same with trucks: Since the deal for the 49X; I'm sure that if we would know their expected planing for last 2 years, it would be completely different of what ultimately has been.

So, the best we can do is to enjoy burning time with those guesses; but never, never at all, to expect them to happen as we wish. That's the best recipe to end unnecessarily frustrated.

Regards
IvanKuz

#249 Post by IvanKuz » 24 Sep 2021 23:10

Some newbie driver wrote: 24 Sep 2021 10:19But the main reason for sure is what Shiva already suggested lots of months ago: either they start to map big chunks of Russia now (Baltiocs was just a small taste) and intercalate with other places, either we will have 3 or 4 consecutive Russian DLC. As the second option is way worse from the marketing perspective; better to start right now.
Sure, this must be one of the main reasons for expanding in the eastern direction ASAP. However, in order to avoid making consecutive DLCs feeling too similar to each other, Russia DLCs need to be interchanged with stuff like Western Balkans, Northern Scandinavia or Iceland, not Belarus and Ukraine. So if they made a Belarus + Western Ukraine DLC first and saved Heart of Russia for later, it wouldn't have been much of a loss in terms of variety of future DLCs, and we would have gotten a better-shaped map.

But hey, what's done is done. And this way Moscow is coming in the game sooner, so I'm not really complaining :P
oldmanclippy wrote: 24 Sep 2021 14:43I've always liked that map whenever you post it. Realistically I think that's as far as SCS will go with ETS2 except for maybe venturing into Northern Africa at some point. I don't think there's a lot to gain by going further into the black regions of your map besides Northern Africa. Leave the Middle East to ProMods unless something very drastic changes in geopolitics. Your three Russia-included DLC's post-HoR are good choices. Kazakhstan interests me a lot. It's a shame that all the most important cities such as Almaty, Nur-Sultan, Karagandy, etc are all in the eastern side of the country. At least I'd like to see the undeniably European part like you have in your map.
Thanks!

Northern Africa is probably fair game, but I agree that Middle East will most likely remain a no-go zone for SCS even if they start mapping other non-European territories. Which is a shame, because I'm not a very big fan of the ProMods ME addon - it is too crowded for my liking and has very few new dedicated assets. I don't know what exactly it is supposed to look like, but seeing Soviet buildings interchanged with French villas in tiny three-block cities is the opposite of immersive to me. It would be interesting to see the region done in SCS quality, but alas.
oldmanclippy wrote: 24 Sep 2021 14:43The most intriguing question in terms of when are we getting certain DLCs and in what form would be: what will happen to Ireland and Iceland? Will they be bundled or separate? Will one come much earlier than the other? Is Iceland even guaranteed to come? Would the Ireland DLC include northern Scotland and western Wales, or would they be added to the base map?
I am absolutely positive that, unless SCS suddenly goes out of business or something, Iceland will arrive sooner or later. It is a full-fledged European country, it uses European trucks and has weekly cargo ferry routes running to mainland Europe - why shouldn't it be in ETS2?
I see no point in bundling Ireland and Iceland together. They have very little in common beside being relatively small and sharing the general direction on the compass. They're not even connected with a ferry, to my knowledge. IMO, they both should just be separate smaller half-price DLCs. If I had to guess, I'd say the rest of Scotland and Wales will be added to the base map, but Ireland will be a DLC.

And you are right, it is a lot easier to speculate about future ATS DLCs than ETS2 ones. I feel like aside from Iberia, SCS are always surprising us with the exact nature of new ETS2 map expansions. But I'm certain that these DLCs will keep coming as long as they keep making SCS money, which I hope they will keep doing until all of Europe is mapped at least. And I'll gladly keep buying them :)
oldmanclippy wrote: 24 Sep 2021 20:06Slovenia, Northern Ireland, Ireland, and Croatia are among those who have been tortured the longest by being tantalizingly close to in-game roads for the longest. Although perhaps poor Liechtenstein is the truest victim, being mere meters away from mapped roads since the very beginning :lol:
I've seen a couple of players from Andorra around, I can only imagine how they feel. Iberia arrived, but new roads went right around them :(

I'm lucky though - you will be able to see my home city block in the background in the game soon ;)
oldmanclippy

#250 Post by oldmanclippy » 25 Sep 2021 17:39

IvanKuz wrote: 24 Sep 2021 23:10 Northern Africa is probably fair game, but I agree that Middle East will most likely remain a no-go zone for SCS even if they start mapping other non-European territories. Which is a shame, because I'm not a very big fan of the ProMods ME addon - it is too crowded for my liking and has very few new dedicated assets. I don't know what exactly it is supposed to look like, but seeing Soviet buildings interchanged with French villas in tiny three-block cities is the opposite of immersive to me. It would be interesting to see the region done in SCS quality, but alas.
It's nice to have the ProMods ME mod for the novelty factor and it's not too bad considering it is only made by one person, but I agree it's way too dense. Yes, these countries are very dense IRL, but I think there is value to letting cities breathe. For Israel/Palestine, I'd like to see 8-10 cities instead of the 22 we have now.

Return to “General discussion about the game”