Poll: Which area should SCS add to ETS2 next?

Which area Should SCS include next?

Further East (Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova)
14%
More of Russia / Release HoR
24%
Caucasian Countries (Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan)
2%
Ireland
32%
Iceland
9%
More of Turkey
16%
North Africa
3%

Total votes: 274

oldmanclippy

Re: Poll: Which area should SCS include after Russia?

#231 Post by oldmanclippy » 22 Sep 2021 17:20

I feel pretty confident that the Western Balkans will be the DLC after Heart of Russia (but that's what some people were saying about the DLC after Iberia so who knows), so of course my mind has wandered and started thinking about the 2024 DLC (i.e. the one after the one after HoR)

We have the following options in my mind:

Further East (Belarus+Ukraine+Moldova): with the recent revelations showing just how extensive Heart of Russia will be, combined with Iberia's massive size, I think they could do all three of these countries in their entirety. How far they decide to push into Ukraine is another story, but I think they have the manpower to do it all if they are so inclined. This is the one with the highest probability IMO. It's just too important to keep pushing off. Heart of Russia will be gimped on release due to Belarus' absence, don't let it go 3+ years in that state.

Northern Scandinavia/Fennoscandia: similar to Further East, I think recent developments make it more likely that they could do all this in one go. Depending on how you calculate it and where you cut it off it's 50-100% more area than Iberia but with far far less density. The tradeoff is the insane landscapes in Norway and those will be difficult to map. We will see how far north HoR goes but honestly I don't think it's as much of a fairytale as people think it is. At the very least I think finishing off Norway+Sweden+Finland in one go is within the realm of possibility. But it's also possible that this is split into Scandinavia and Fennoscandia. They might go that route and just add more density.

Ireland + Northern Scotland + Western Wales: the common train of thought is that these need to come after the UK rebuild and I'm 100% inclined to agree. Their value plummets without a good foundation from the base map. The demand is high and would sell like hotcakes especially if the base UK was given the California treatment. I don't see this coming in 2024 unless the UK rebuild starts reasonably soon after the Austria one, but I think they should focus on Switzerland and Benelux first.

Iceland: This would have to be released in the same year (ATS style) as Ireland+NS+WW. They're all too small, even if the UK remains at 1:15 scale and if Ireland and Iceland follow suit. Iceland will be really tricky to pull off without a better weather system. Plus there's just no guarantee that SCS will be interested in making it. The demand is there though so I think it'd sell like hotcakes at a reduced price.

More Russia: this is highly unlikely I think, but if SCS is very serious about going deep into Russia then we'll have to start at some point to avoid back to back Russia DLC's in the future. A third Russia DLC without Belarus will be an insanely terrible idea though. It will make Cody and the Pyrenees look like a cakewalk for SCS PR. The only way I think Russia sneaks into the 2024 DLC would be via Fennoscandia.

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but Heart of Russia kind of threw a wrench in everything. SCS should not listen to fan polls about where to go next (mostly because they can't: they've already decided expansions years in advance), but to put things into perspective, "More Russia" was 6th on the last poll. It was even behind More Turkey. I'm absolutely thrilled about Heart of Russia and I can't wait for it because Russia is one of my favorite countries to drive in in-game, but I do think it could have waited many years. Yes Moscow is one of the most important cities in Europe, but I would argue Further East and Western Balkans could have come before it. Russia will be the first country to feature in more than one paid DLC, and considering that there are 14 more anticipated European countries + Northern Ireland north or west of the Black Sea that haven't been featured in-game yet (please don't pick a fight over this) it seems odd that they decided to go with more Russia.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
SenseFM

#232 Post by SenseFM » 22 Sep 2021 17:42

^If SCS really plans to map all of Europe, all the way to the Ural Mountains, that would mean that several DLCs would have to cover different parts of Russia. Maybe they've started soon with Russia in order to avoid having too much Russian DLCs one after the another... although they could always start expanding into Turkey or North Africa to keep alternating DLC locations.
jackalnxt

#233 Post by jackalnxt » 23 Sep 2021 06:35

If SCS decides that the Western Balkans is too much of a hassle and decide to pair Greece up with more Turkey, we might see a second country featured in two DLCs.
Shiva

#234 Post by Shiva » 23 Sep 2021 07:03

Western Balkans, including Greece.
I think it would be odd pairing Greece with Turkey.
Western Balkans on Iberia with truesize.
Western Balkans on HoR.

oldmanclippy, as you wrote "avoid back to back Russia DLC's in the future.". That I think is the reason Moscow comes now.
Russia could have 2-4 more DLC areas after HoR. And I am not counting the road to Murmansk in those.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
AlexxxF1

#235 Post by AlexxxF1 » 23 Sep 2021 09:39

I'm wondering if SCS plans to make the whole of Ukraine, then with Belarus and Moldova it will be a super huge DLC.
therefore, does the SCS plan to release Belarus DLC separately ? like a state for ATS, for example, Idaho, and at the same cost 11.99 (not as usual DLС for ETS2 for 17.99 ) it would be something like Ireland DLC for UK.

although I think we don't need a rework UK, we need a new DLC England, Irland (new and more roads, cities. better elaboration and more detail. one standard, one scale 1:20) old UK must be cut off and removed forever. we will get the best quality, scs will get money for their work.

or if the SCS plans to create a DLС Belarus Ukraine Moldova, then we will definitely not get all of Ukraine, only a part of it. how do we get a part of Russia in the BtBS DLC or in the HoR DLC.
plus it should also alternate like part of Russia, and after the Balkans it should come out. after that all north Scandinavia, then again a part of Russia, most likely the southern part with the Caucasus with Georgia and Ayzerbajan.
and of course It makes no sense to separate Greece from the Balkans, Turkey will receive its own separate DLC like part of Asia.

I'm primarily interested in filling holes, like Greece, for the DLС RttBS. and Belarus for DLC HoR. UK rework Irland and north Scandinavia are already in Promods for those who want. I'm really looking forward to DLC Belarus Ukraine Moldova. not only because I myself am from Belarus. but because this is will be a Heart of DLCs) it will connect 4 DLC around into one. Going East, Beyond the Baltic Sea, Heart of Russia and Road to the Black Sea. there will be so many alternative roads and new directions. for all these 5 DLСs.
Shiva

#236 Post by Shiva » 23 Sep 2021 10:55

Northern Scandinavia in ProMods, it lacks a lot of Norway and Sweden. Not populationwise, but roads and area. Parts of Finland missing too.

Turkey, it could either be a single super size DLC, or 2 more "normal" size

DLC British Isles? I think that some of those that have the old base map areas, would not be so happy.
And it would create more work for SCS, having the old area and the new.

Belarus in HoR, that did surprise me. Unless SCS has not shown everything. HoR with only Russia, seems to be quite big already.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
oldmanclippy

#237 Post by oldmanclippy » 23 Sep 2021 15:59

SenseFM wrote: 22 Sep 2021 17:42 ^If SCS really plans to map all of Europe, all the way to the Ural Mountains, that would mean that several DLCs would have to cover different parts of Russia. Maybe they've started soon with Russia in order to avoid having too much Russian DLCs one after the another... although they could always start expanding into Turkey or North Africa to keep alternating DLC locations.
Shiva wrote: 23 Sep 2021 07:03 oldmanclippy, as you wrote "avoid back to back Russia DLC's in the future.". That I think is the reason Moscow comes now.
Russia could have 2-4 more DLC areas after HoR. And I am not counting the road to Murmansk in those.
Yes, I think this could be why we're seeing HoR now. It is predicated however on the notion that SCS plans to delve further into Russia (probably 2 or more DLCs) otherwise it would not be necessary to push a "Road to Moscow" type DLC out so soon in my opinion. With Heart of Russia confirmed to be going as south as Bryansk and maybe further, that would leave perhaps the following DLCs:

Down the Volga: Voronezh, Saratov, Volgograd, Rostov-on-Don, etc. Follow the Volga. Perhaps not all the way to the Caucasus but we'll get a better idea after knowing the scope of HoR.

Road to Murmansk: Arkhangelsk, Murmansk, etc. We don't yet know HoR's northern extent (Northern Lights being its codename makes me think it might reach further north than we currently know), but there will certainly be lots left up there to map. Could come as part of a Fennoscandian DLC or as a Russia-only DLC.

Heart of Hearts of Russia: just go further east than HoR. This is where I see the marketability of Russian DLCs start to crawl. Murmansk is pretty well known as being very far north and has a novelty factor. Southwest Russia would add utility to Ukraine (if eastern Ukraine gets mapped), but a slow march towards the Urals is a hard sell for most people. I'd be ecstatic because I find Russia fascinating but I don't know how enthusiastic most players will be about plodding ever further east when Moscow and St. Petersburg are already behind them.
jackalnxt wrote: 23 Sep 2021 06:35 If SCS decides that the Western Balkans is too much of a hassle and decide to pair Greece up with more Turkey, we might see a second country featured in two DLCs.
I still think this is possible however disappointing it would be. Not disappointing in terms of the quality of that DLC, Turkey is another of my favorite places to drive through in-game and Western Anatolia is a beautiful and scenic place with lots of great cities and roads to explore. But I really do think that the Western Balkans should come with Greece. It's too much to ask players to continue corridor driving through Hungary and Romania (and a ferry from Italy I suppose) to get to both Road to the Black Sea and Greece+Western Anatolia. After Heart of Russia creates an annoying map shape due to not having Belarus, SCS should not exacerbate the other annoying map shape that is currently there by adding Greece without the Western Balkans. I just think it's a step too far from maintaining a proper map shape. I've already just made a separate profile for Road to the Black Sea because I became sick of having to drive through Hungary every time just to access it. We need more route possibilities in that region before going further southeast, IMO.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
Shiva

#238 Post by Shiva » 23 Sep 2021 20:36

Road to Murmansk, I would have put that, with Finland and maybe northernmost Norway.
IvanKuz

#239 Post by IvanKuz » 23 Sep 2021 21:17

I think the main reason SCS are making Heart of Russia now is probably the same reason they made a beeline straight to Istanbul through Eastern Balkans despite it leaving a Western Balkans-shaped hole in the map: there is simply a big demand for it, contrary to whatever the polls here might suggest. There is a reason why Saint Petersburg is always the first non-base map city to get completed during Christmas events. Russia is a pretty huge market, same as Turkey. Heart of Russia currently sits at #25 on Steam's global wishlist (way above Texas!).

That's why I'm not particularly worried about the marketability of further Russia DLCs at this point (and that's also why I'm certain we will see more of Turkey in the future despite all the "Euro" purists). There is a huge Russian playerbase who will gladly buy these DLCs, and with how big the DLCs are becoming lately I'm sure they'll have enough of something interesting to offer to other players as well. Murmansk and Arkhangelsk regions to the north, which would nicely complement and contrast Northern Fennoscandia. The Black and Caspian seas and the Caucasus to the south, with a potential to have a road all around the Black Sea one day. Plenty of important cities along the Volga and further east - even if doesn't go as far as Chelyabinsk and Yekaterinburg, there'd still need to be at least Kazan and Samara. And perhaps even a piece of Kazakhstan to the southeast (still partially Europe!). All in all, there is enough here for 3-5 more DLCs after HoR - I made a rough draft of what could they they could look like a while back. Splice them inbetween other DLCs for increased variety (Western Balkans, Fennoscandia, Turkey, Iceland, etc.), and you'll have a steady stream of revenue for the next decade.
Shiva

#240 Post by Shiva » 24 Sep 2021 06:41

IvanKuz, I had a variant of this I checked out, before we knew the HoR size.
Northern Fennoscandia was about the same size.
The rest were smaller.
I'm interested in all the areas possible.

Return to “General discussion about the game”