graphics engine

paulieGTR

Re: grafics engine

#31 Post by paulieGTR » 11 Apr 2021 17:46

I'm glad you got that off your chest.
Win10pro/X299pro/i9.10920X/64gbQC/Antec 1Kw SigPlat/3090 TUF/27" triples multimon2
T500-alu shifter+Eaton knob-GTomegaPro-318ti Dash-ProGauge-BU0836x BBox-tir5+tc pro-924 seat
plykkegaard

#32 Post by plykkegaard » 11 Apr 2021 18:39

Pop-ups close to the player is usually a bug caused by wrong settings or missing low detail model
Not likely it is loading performance unless we are talking very low spec

For drawing distance (eg mountains) there's a fixed limit

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
paulieGTR

#33 Post by paulieGTR » 11 Apr 2021 19:09

yeah and that fixed limit is the reason the devs can't design us longer and straighter roads.
I'm patient though.. I've had scs truck sims for many years, before the euro series and it's came a significant way since. :)
Win10pro/X299pro/i9.10920X/64gbQC/Antec 1Kw SigPlat/3090 TUF/27" triples multimon2
T500-alu shifter+Eaton knob-GTomegaPro-318ti Dash-ProGauge-BU0836x BBox-tir5+tc pro-924 seat
Some newbie driver

#34 Post by Some newbie driver » 11 Apr 2021 19:26

plykkegaard wrote: 11 Apr 2021 18:39Not likely it is loading performance unless we are talking very low spec
Very low spec or that SCS (or a moder) has gone too big with an specific scene. Both things happens in the game: there's lot of people playing with humble computers and there's a few places that hit hard the performance of all computers (in SCS maps, in mods you can find any kind of quality).
scaniadriver01

#35 Post by scaniadriver01 » 12 Apr 2021 19:58

boy was i surprised when i opened this tread up.. i checked it last weekend and not much has happend.. i thoughed it was dead :P
but this topic was not to make a movement or make a statement.. it was just to start a discussion and see what peoples oppinions where about this.. like i mentioned.. how would the game/sim be if it was on another engine?? nothing more, nothing less
Madkine
Global moderator

#36 Post by Madkine » 12 Apr 2021 22:24

The point is it's not going to another engine. To do so would take a minimum 3 years of effort during which they would not be earning money for DLC's etc.

As has been said, SCS are rebuilding their engine as they go to improve it.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
Some newbie driver

#37 Post by Some newbie driver » 13 Apr 2021 11:42

But if he wants us to just guess for fun, at the very basic, we can guess there could be better graphics from the start (as of course, those third-party engines are more mature in that) but we would have less content in each DLC or a higher price to buy them (the money to pay the licenses of those third party engines had to come from somewhere).

And about Unity Engine, that somebody mentioned; a few years ago one person told me that it's good to learn, but not to do final products that really need to squeeze performance (if it's a "gentle" game that doesn't require so much, it can be enough). I trust that person so in the case of SCS I would erase that one from the list of possibilities.

Regards
JD6

#38 Post by JD6 » 13 Apr 2021 16:24

It would take a long time to convert to Unreal Engine. You can read how many people whine when there's a minor update and how many things went wrong in the BETA. I don't think SCS is willing to go through that kind of hardship as long as the current engine works and makes money regardless of it looking over a decade old (latest trucks not included). So I assume the strategy is to go with incremental updates and unfortunately for those wishing for modern looks it will always lag behind.

I mentioned Unreal instead of Unity because that engine is very heavy when it comes to performance and if it's not used properly you get games like ETS2's competition. Unreal is more flexible and has more features. Anyway, my point is that it took a long time for the game to be updated to the current engine, how long do you think a full conversion would take even if it has already started? Unless there's some solid competition or SCS gets aquired by a big company I don't think we'll see those UE/Unity features from the first post.

Currently the game is incredibly optimized for what Prism does.
plykkegaard

#39 Post by plykkegaard » 13 Apr 2021 16:32

The game as such is a minor part of the conversion to eg unreal
The production eco system SCS has created through many years is a different story

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Some newbie driver

#40 Post by Some newbie driver » 13 Apr 2021 18:12

All their tools to work over their engine, all the assets made with their own engine in mind, all their know-how to squeeze till the limit the engine... yes, it's not just the raw capabilities of the engine. Not to mention, that would affect also all the mods of the game. Go imagine the fears people got about mods being discontinued with 1.40 (or with the FMOD, or the DX11) because they required a lot of changes sometimes and not all moders have time for that. A complete graphic engine change is something bigger than any of those updates; so the effect on available mods could easily be way worse.

Regards

Return to “General discussion about the game”