graphics engine

scaniadriver01

graphics engine

#1 Post by scaniadriver01 » 08 Apr 2021 10:26

hey
i have been asking myself the following question about ets2 and ats
what would the sim look and feel like if it was build in a frostbite, unreal or unity engine??
not that i dont like the graphics and gaming engine that SCS has now... but im looking at other options is what it could become or look like..
as this is an exsample of the unity vs unreal graphics i also think the modelling of enviorment, weather and vehicles will feel different

what is your opinion about it??
Madkine
Global moderator

Re: grafics engine

#2 Post by Madkine » 08 Apr 2021 13:11

It would look different and you'd have loading screens every 5 mins as those engines can't handle the game world we have.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
scaniadriver01

#3 Post by scaniadriver01 » 08 Apr 2021 18:51

@Madkine yeah thats a problem.. but thats a problem with any large free world map no matter what game engine you use..
but i think the game engine would make it also easier to walk around and like connect airlines to the trailer, turn twist locks to secure shippingcontainers to chassis.. or wash your truck and much more... as it can go very deep into the details..

the sim is already pretty large on the harddrive with all the DLC`s, mods etc.. so the loading screen might also come down to what graphics card you use... i think compared to GTA5 as an exsample.. i dont have loading screens where ever i go... flight simulator lets you choose what area of the world map you like to pre load and that is stored on your harddrive ready to be used... so you dont have the load screens and you can move in one go from A to B... i think the same can be done in ets2 and ats.. as we already have expantion DLC`s.. if you dont have them and dont use them... you dont pre load them..
xXCARL1992Xx

#4 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 08 Apr 2021 19:01

there wouldnt be loading screens, these engines can do much more then people think, it is all about how the map is made and what is loaded when, Minecraft is the best example, it has the biggest progressively generated map of the world and it runs on Java, it shouldnt be a problem to program a map with the bigger engines as large as ETS/ATS with seamless loading
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
scaniadriver01

#5 Post by scaniadriver01 » 08 Apr 2021 19:35

@xXCARL1992Xx then i guess it would be something good to concider if the loading screen problem is already out the window..
i think it could become something speciall is scs start using these engine.. especially if you get ultra HD or 4K
i have seen the weather physics in different games and the thunder and rain is really beautifull, same with the sun rise

i know SCS wasnt gonna implement truckwashes etc in it.. but i think they can make the sim "shine" and stand out with those kind of details.. like puddles in the roads, realistic spray from trucks and cars
or like when the truck is stationairy but its on a slope.. that you could see water running or dripping from the rear end of the trailer or running down the doors.. like i think it can be way beyond of that they have now...

but like i mentioned in the first post.. its just an idea of curiosity as i think if they would concider this engine it would be a lot of work to transfer it over to another game engine as i think the coding will not be the same to copy and paste it all in a few weeks ( maybe months)
xXCARL1992Xx

#6 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 08 Apr 2021 19:38

they will never use these engines

1. they are not capable to do what they need, so they need to reprogram everything
2. they have to pay to use it, wich also means they have to pay again to use FMod because it isnt part of either engines if it isnt stated otherwise in the license agreement
3. this would be a wast of time because converting a game from one engine to another takes years to do, especially if it is from a custom one like Prism3D to a ready build engine like Unreal, Unity or CryEngine (other engines are not for sale, so Frostbite is out of the question)
4. creating a new game would mean we would loos half if not more of the current trucks we have wich is also out of the question
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
scaniadriver01

#7 Post by scaniadriver01 » 08 Apr 2021 19:52

@xXCARL1992Xx hmm i havent looked at it that way...
i was more thinking of how far can you push a sim with reallife features and feels and how realistic it would look to the eyes..
havent thought about the licensing problem as i dont know what the agreements in it are
but sofar this sim looks way better then the sim i used at driving school.. where it was a renault cab on hydraulic cilinders and a projector screen in front.. but like after some years and restarts.. i have done nearly 250.000 km in the sim and even on the ultra/high settings.. it still feels as a game to me as it looks like a game to me if i compare it visually to other games.. like Iracing has come a long way but is nowhere near visually at ETS2 and ATS.. and i dont know anything about programming and coding... i know its a lot of work.. and thats as far as my knowledge goes.. but it was just an idea that popped up and wonder what other people would think of it if its a good or a bad idea..

i know in the last beta the lighting, sound etc was a problem... and then i saw the lighting in other games.. so it made me think about this..
bobgrey1997

#8 Post by bobgrey1997 » 08 Apr 2021 20:13

xXCARL1992Xx wrote: 08 Apr 2021 19:01 there wouldnt be loading screens, these engines can do much more then people think, it is all about how the map is made and what is loaded when, Minecraft is the best example, it has the biggest progressively generated map of the world and it runs on Java, it shouldnt be a problem to program a map with the bigger engines as large as ETS/ATS with seamless loading
Not exactly true. A Minecraft world is tiny unless you generate more of it (which it does automatically as you explore). If you get something like 100km x 100km, it will not run. It just might even simply crash your PC.
xXCARL1992Xx

#9 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 08 Apr 2021 20:43

no it wont because it only loads what you see, just like ETS and ATS, you can explore the whole 60kx60k m world of Minecraft and it will still only load your set render distance of whatever number of chunks
[ external image ]
scaniadriver01

#10 Post by scaniadriver01 » 08 Apr 2021 21:06

dispite the discussion i started by this topic.. i think it can get quite interesting to see people ideas and opinions about it... even if SCS would use it or not..

Return to “General discussion about the game”