graphics engine

bobgrey1997

Re: grafics engine

#11 Post by bobgrey1997 » 08 Apr 2021 22:33

xXCARL1992Xx wrote: 08 Apr 2021 20:43 no it wont because it only loads what you see, just like ETS and ATS, you can explore the whole 60kx60k m world of Minecraft and it will still only load your set render distance of whatever number of chunks
No, it will. That world still has to be stored, loaded, and unloaded into memory.
I run many servers, and we ALWAYS have large worlds. 50k x 50k is small for us. That has a significant impact on the performance of said servers.
xXCARL1992Xx

#12 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 08 Apr 2021 23:33

maybe you should start to look for a new hoster, because the file size of a minecraft world wont cause it to crash, the biggest server that exists has a world with the size of more then 10TB, so it is just your badly configurated server that crashes the game not minecraft because it is to big

your server only loads what you see, it NEVER loads the whole map, only the chunks your server is set to and the chunks of the other players but never the whole map

and a game like ETS2 has only size on a storage device to worry about because of its uniqueness, sure many parts are just a repeated model, maybe even the custom laid roads save much space because the only thing the game has to store is a shape and not a whole separate model with every material (would be a nice under the hood article, how does the custom roads exactly work) but ETS and ATS sure as hell will never reach anything in size that a modern engine cant render, FUEL was a good example, at the time it was the biggest playable game world that existed (real 14.400km² and 160.000km of road) and it is bigger then ETS and ATS combined
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
scaniadriver01

#13 Post by scaniadriver01 » 08 Apr 2021 23:52

If we are gonna talk map sizes.. maybe look at this..
[youtube]https://youtu.be/3TwjUk4ReZo[/youtube]
Darkcaptain

#14 Post by Darkcaptain » 09 Apr 2021 04:07

As Carl says, in the most popular open world games or with large maps, it loads its content as you go, otherwise there would be no PC capable of loading much of the current games ...

Small tricks are used, that is why in many games there is the so-called "popping", distant objects do not exist and as you get closer to it, it loads that object with a low number of polygons and low resolution, when you are closer, it goes loading that object with greater precision, only some objects are kept in charge so that they can be seen from far away (mountains etc.)

I doubt that ETS2 / ATS will change the graphics engine, as CARL explained, it would be necessary to remake more than half a game and that would entail many years of work and a lot of budget, probably a large part of the mapping (DLCs included) could be used, so In my opinion SCS is not capable, and in part, it does not want to completely change the game either, it would lead to an increase in higher requirements (many players would complain, they would lose part of players etc ...) but, what if SCS could do is to continue improving its PRISM3D engine, and launch an optional DLC with improved textures, skyboxes etc ... for those players with a better computer.

The new lighting system just arrived, I hope they keep working on more improvements.
scaniadriver01

#15 Post by scaniadriver01 » 09 Apr 2021 08:10

@Darkcaptain i would like that...
I got my pc connected to my 42" tv.. maybe at some point i would like to buy a 4k tv and it would be really nice to have it look really realistic as i said before compared to other games and sims.. i can see the difference so me and maybe other players are gonna expect more refined textures instead of new trucks or map expensions... as the mod base is growing really big for what i can see online and in the steamwork shop etc
plykkegaard

#16 Post by plykkegaard » 09 Apr 2021 08:36

Game runs gorgeous on latest hardware, but magic comes with an insane price tag
Less can do, I run in 4K using a GTX 1080ti

No known engine can utilze what SCS needs, they have tried / testet it and it is not feasible
The graphics is a minor part of it the whole eco-system SCS has developed with Prism3D through decades

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
scaniadriver01

#17 Post by scaniadriver01 » 09 Apr 2021 10:08

@plykkegaard ok well i have been playing a number of games and sims.. but if i compare visual only throught the games.. i can see the difference.. nomatter how the game is build.. it looks good.. but it aint at the top 3 for me.. as other games and sims in my oppinion look better.. if i need to go into dept on how the sim is.. its just focussing on driving from my point of view.. start from the bottom and work your way up.. im already at the too as i have all the garages and more trucks then drivers.. so all i do now is just buy a truck.. make it to my liking.. put a few K's on the clock and buy another one because it becomes a bit boring... while other open world games have more features from walking around to something small like pressing a button on a building or dash in this case with your mouse without using a keyboard to press a key to make something work.. but that topic is not about the visual bit..
I think on the visual part it can be higher textures to make it more real.. its already high quality dont get me wrong as i dont want to sound like im a hater.. i play this sim a lot.. but i think its not far off to be at the top with other games and sims
paulieGTR

#18 Post by paulieGTR » 11 Apr 2021 16:18

Draw distance kills both ATS and ETS2 sims. If it wasn't for that, I really would be quite happy truth be told.
We need a game engine that can utilise bigger sectors and at least try to mitigate the draw distance issues that plague us today.
But, scs have already told us several times, that this is beyond the capability of 'their' game engine.

I don't think UE4 and especially Unity, is the answer. All in all, I really don't know what else the devs can do, but to build a completely new updated engine, that will help get rid of the drawbacks they face now and every time they design a new map.

Really feel for them here from a design aspect. In one hand they are doing their level best to deliver bigger and better environments,
yet on the other, that draw distance issue probably kills every idea that they might ever have.

on a side.. Racing sims eg. 'GPL' upto 'ACC' are 1:1 scale and have draw distances in the region of 10,000 mtrs or 10km, yet they don't suffer from it.
I suppose it's down to that whole track being loaded into memory first before you hit it.
Win10pro/X299pro/i9.10920X/64gbQC/Antec 1Kw SigPlat/3090 TUF/27" triples multimon2
T500-alu shifter+Eaton knob-GTomegaPro-318ti Dash-ProGauge-BU0836x BBox-tir5+tc pro-924 seat
xXCARL1992Xx

#19 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 11 Apr 2021 16:21

there are no drawbacks, they can program the engine to do whatever they need, why do people always think a engine has to be programmed from scratch just to reach a certain point ?!

SCS just need the knowledge and time to rewrite the engine and not wast time on programming a new one or using a ready one that is missing 90% of the stuff they need
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
paulieGTR

#20 Post by paulieGTR » 11 Apr 2021 16:27

yeah I understand what your saying and getting at. :)
I just suspect there's no way they can reconfigure this engine in it's current form to get rid of the draw distance issue.

I am in no way saying they need to use some other company's engine, that by all accounts, would need totally modified for their own needs.
No, i'm saying they need to re-build their own engine to get rid of the draw back/elephant in the room.
ie. lack of draw distance/scenery popping in right in front of you.
eg. take New Mexico in ATS, it badly suffers from this.
Last edited by paulieGTR on 11 Apr 2021 16:32, edited 1 time in total.
Win10pro/X299pro/i9.10920X/64gbQC/Antec 1Kw SigPlat/3090 TUF/27" triples multimon2
T500-alu shifter+Eaton knob-GTomegaPro-318ti Dash-ProGauge-BU0836x BBox-tir5+tc pro-924 seat

Return to “General discussion about the game”