Iberia DLC looks great but i'm really disappointed - sadly.

LAFAYET47

Re: Iberia DLC looks great but i'm really disappointed - sadly.

#51 Post by LAFAYET47 » 14 Apr 2021 12:18

supersobes wrote: 14 Apr 2021 11:04 For me, Road to the Black Sea was disappointing because of its lack of continuous highways. Comparing the game map to Google Maps, it looks like a lot of the high speed, limited access motorways and expressways were intentionally truncated to make way for smaller roads.
You are right, they cutted some highway streches from RTBS (heck, even some very important ones in favour of some scenic secondary roads) but for the biggest part they sticked to reality. As opposed to Iberia/France/Italy, RBTS countries IRL simply doesn´t have a big highway system and a huge chuck of traffic still relies on the old one-lane roads crossing cities, towns and villages. I can talk about Poland because situation was similar to these countries until not that long ago, but as the country is endlessly growing they are managing to build a lot of expressways (as they are called in Polish) and highways. Sure there are still a lot of these goofy small roads everywhere , relics of the past, but the depiction of in-game Poland does not resemble at all to state IRL Poland is nowadays.

@Shiva I do agree with you. Comparisons with ATS or with american road network may not work most of the time. You have to stick to reality, look to a map, it is what it is. I somewhat understand the "beautiful coastal roads" demand from certain audience of this game, but if you take a closer look on a map you will realize that most important highways and routes trucking-wise are not those going exactly in paralell with the coasts. Sure there are some roads going really really close along the sea, but what kind of relevance do they have if we are talking about trucks? Not much I would say, honestly saying.
Shiva

#52 Post by Shiva » 14 Apr 2021 13:13

LAFAYET47, yep.
RTBS, Sebeș to Pitești via Sibiu. That I really want to be added someday.

I think that the coastal or close to coastal roads ingame are quite good. The distance between the coastal/near coast roads that are in, vs what is not in, they are very close, to overlapping. While US-101/CA-1, there the distances are mostly several tens of kilometres. Please, compare on maps.
If more of the coastal cities would have been omitted, then there could have been nice plase for more of the close to the coast roads.

Do I find things that I think is odd, or disagree with? yes, in every map DLC.
Do I find things I think is odd/wrong and then when checking closer, understand why those decisions have been taken? yes.

Would I want a Scandinavia in Iberia DLC quality? Oh yes!
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
alluke

#53 Post by alluke » 14 Apr 2021 13:17

The secondary coastal roads that aren't main transport routes could be easily included by adding some small business like farm, construction site or logging camp along it.
dsf.fernando

#54 Post by dsf.fernando » 14 Apr 2021 19:36

The problem is that the only "secondary" and "coastal" roads i remember in Portugal are A8, A17 and A28. A8's closest point to the ocean is at least 3,5km, in a point close to Alcobaça and Nazaré. A17's nearest point to the sea is at least 7km, just north of Figueira da Foz. A28's closest points is under 1,9km near Póvoa de Varzim, but i think this may not be possible to represent due to the size of Porto. Unless you're taking about real secondary roads like roads like N268, which runs just one kilometer away from a beach close to Praia da Bordeira
Proud student of Games and Multimedia in the Polytechnic of Leiria - the Portuguese capital of game development
(and still hopeful the city will feature in the game with a garage someday)
Shiva

#55 Post by Shiva » 14 Apr 2021 20:06

dsf.fernando, I think mostly saw those very coastal roads mostly in Spain. And those are mostly smaller roads and mostly too close to main roads.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
Some newbie driver

#56 Post by Some newbie driver » 14 Apr 2021 21:05

There's a very scenic coastal highway north of Barcelona, the problem is that it's mostly paralel to AP-7 til half the way to the French border so, due the scale both don't have space to be there and there would had been a mistake not to include one of the two most truck used highways on Spain. So...
Quark

#57 Post by Quark » 15 Apr 2021 00:00

supersobes wrote: 14 Apr 2021 11:04 For me, Road to the Black Sea was disappointing because of its lack of continuous highways. Comparing the game map to Google Maps, it looks like a lot of the high speed, limited access motorways and expressways were intentionally truncated to make way for smaller roads. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the addition of smaller roads; they are fun to drive too. However, I think cutting roads short for the sake of road variety is not a good way of doing things. It causes the annoying scenario where the driver must constantly turn onto another road just to get some place when in the real world the same trio would be a straight shot down one road.
This is only half the truth, you are somewhat mistaken here. Just as lafayet47 mentioned there is no big motorway system in Romania/Bulgaria, you cannot compare their RL roadnetwork even in the slightest with those in central/western Europe. SCS did cut out a few of the most important trucking routes, yes, like for example the "famous" Olt valley, in favour of some smaller roads which was a mistake no question. But even that winding road is not exactly that what you
would imagine when you think of a real motorway. Also, some of the motorways ingame that appear intentionally truncated as you said were still under construction in RL at the time of the development of the DLC as far as i know.
supersobes
Global moderator

#58 Post by supersobes » 15 Apr 2021 01:31

One of the main ones that comes in mind for me is the A1 in Romania, which is traced in pink on the map below. I'm aware that this road isn't fully completed in real-life either, but looking around on Google Maps, I see lots of E roads that run parallel to the completed sections that also continue, linking the completed sections together. I think SCS could have added roads such as the E81 and E68 to construct a more logical road network. Instead they opted to include the roads with the red route shield (I'm sorry, I don't know what these roads are called in Romania) that appear to be more like secondary roads when compared to the E roads.

[ external image ]
snare85

#59 Post by snare85 » 15 Apr 2021 03:16

My opinion is that the content should include highways and narrow roads. This option would satisfy all players. And even if they (the highway and the narrow road) are nearby - it will be not a bad thing how if cut the highway out of the content and switch to the narrow road.. On the contrary, they should both exist, especially if there was an accident on the highway (for example, the tunnel is blocked), you can turn onto the nearest narrow road and continue on your way. I agree that this is more work, but such content will not get bored for a very long time.
Now Germany has lost most of the narrow roads and picturesque places, now it is not interesting again. I'm not suggesting cutting out the highway and replacing it with a narrow road, but there should be a network of highways and a network of narrow roads. Players will be able to decide for themselves where to go. When I'm in a hurry - the highway, when I'm not in a hurry-the narrow road. For the navigator, the priority is highway.
I could put 10 points for Iberia, but I can't do that (7)
angrybirdseller

#60 Post by angrybirdseller » 15 Apr 2021 03:29

8-) Small roads are rarely used if highway near delivers the goods faster. Logistics normally happens in suburb or city away from large urban areas.

Glad for high density of freeways instead of over winding narrow roads.

Some of these complaints about Iberia are ridiculous to be honest.

Return to “General discussion about the game”