specs for multimon triple monitor config

mackintosh

Re: specs for multimon triple monitor config

#11 Post by mackintosh » 14 Apr 2021 18:08

Yep, it's all about IPC as far as I can tell. Indeed, the 5900X doesn't do much beyond twiddling its thumbs in ETS2, but what it does it seems to be doing well.
jeefAD

#12 Post by jeefAD » 14 Apr 2021 21:02

It better be! The 5900X is leads the 'Gaming CPU Benchmarks Hierarchy' and third on list for both single-threaded and multi-threaded performance (once you discount the Threadripper/Xeon multicore beasts). ;)

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cp ... ,4312.html

And to my earlier comment about 11th-gen Intel models, the same list gives a nod to the i5-11600K taking 8th in gaming and 5th in single-threaded performance. It does have the highest clock of all 11th-gen models @ 3.9 GHz, which caught my eye when I first started looking.

So yeah, of the 11th-gen models maybe the K-variants would bring something measurable to the ETS2 table beyond just being unlocked. Clearly, more reading is needed. ;)
i5-11600K | 32GB DDR4-3200 | RTX 3080 Ti 12GB | 3 x 32" FHD | No mods
mackintosh

#13 Post by mackintosh » 14 Apr 2021 21:22

Unless you're desperate, buying into a dead end platform this late in a cycle doesn't make much sense. Better hold off with your upgrade until next year, when both Intel and AMD have their DDR5 offerings. 5900X is a nice CPU, but it's absolute overkill for gaming alone. No one in their right mind should be buying either of AMD's R9s if all they do is play games.
jeefAD

#14 Post by jeefAD » 15 Apr 2021 02:16

Agreed re: R9 -- only justified for other workloads. I am torn on the possibility of a new build tho. I'll continue for a bit longer to see if there's anything else I can squeak out of my current rig. I've even been doing some A/B between 1.39 and 1.40. Iberia isn't compatible with 1.39, but I can do without it.

But, if I just can't get ETS2 to play nicely with my current hardware and it's just more continued frustration than enjoyment, I'll have to make a call... either take the plunge now on current gen or shelve ETS2/ATS entirely for now and wait for next gen, assuming late 2021 targets are met, there's no fab/supply issues, partners are onboard, etc. We'll see. Cheers for the input tho! Appreciated.
paulieGTR

#15 Post by paulieGTR » 15 Apr 2021 08:48

mackintosh wrote: 14 Apr 2021 16:56snip...

No, just in-game settings...
Oh you should enable 'multimon2' in config, if you haven't tried it yet. :)
You will not go back once you see that the image is not stretched and distorted, also, the trucks mirrors are perfect on the left and right monitors.
fyi..
I remember strarting a new profile for a beta and had forgot to set the multimon.. I was shocked what i saw, compared to what I was used to seeing.
jeefAD wrote: 14 Apr 2021 21:02snip...
And to my earlier comment about 11th-gen Intel models, the same list gives a nod to the i5-11600K taking 8th in gaming and 5th in single-threaded performance. It does have the highest clock of all 11th-gen models @ 3.9 GHz, which caught my eye when I first started looking.

So yeah, of the 11th-gen models maybe the K-variants would bring something measurable to the ETS2 table beyond just being unlocked. Clearly, more reading is needed. ;)
That could be an expensive or at some point, a feeeling of disappointment in the future, because that CPU only has 20 x PCIe-4 lanes.
ie. GPU runs @ x16 and if you add anything else, say a sound card that uses PCIe lanes then your GPU will run at the slower speed of x8, defeating
the point of the upgrade.

Also, you need to be really careful if/when using multiple NVMEs, primarily because of the lack of pcie4.0 lanes of the cpu.
====
The only reason i bought the CPU I have now(10920x) was because I feared this was going to be the last true extreme CPU made.
But what made it more important for me was the fact that it had the 48(44 +4) lanes.

Just something to be aware of and should be one of the first, if not the very first things you check in CPU's.. depending on what hardware you want to
run in your system, be it now or in the future.

Re. start options.. I'll fire up my rig later and i'll post back in here.
Win10pro/X299pro/i9.10920X/64gbQC/Antec 1Kw SigPlat/3090 TUF/27" triples multimon2
T500-alu shifter+Eaton knob-GTomegaPro-318ti Dash-ProGauge-BU0836x BBox-tir5+tc pro-924 seat
jeefAD

#16 Post by jeefAD » 15 Apr 2021 14:56

That's a nice chip. ;)

No NVMe drives currently or planned at the moment -- will probably rock my SATA Sammy 860/870 EVO's for a little longer as they're not that old and I don't need to push massive disk I/O. ;) I suppose I could still get away with an x16 GPU and M.2 on the CPU at either x2/x4 if wanted to, which should be plenty. If I do a new build, I did think about maybe getting a M.2 as a new boot drive and reusing my current OS SSD in a secondary system. Don't really run other cards. Audio interface is external. Anything else is either USB or I could run something less intensive than a GPU off the other x4/x1 slots. The chipset does provide additional PCIe Express lanes (up to 24 on the Z590 boards). Pretty sure the entire 11th-gen Intel lineup is x20 lanes...

Def have to watch some motherboard configs tho, so I appreciate your comments re: lanes. One of the GIGABYTE boards I was reading about had a PCIe/M2 arrangement off the CPU whereby populating either M2 slot dropped the PCIe x16 to x8. Fun stuff.

Still haven't made on a call on a new system. Did a bit of reading last night on Intel/AMD next gen and still have mixed thoughts. Still a lot of unknown as what those releases/availability/prices will even look like when the time comes, what first gen consumer DDR5 will look like/how it will perform, etc. I've never been one to buy on the bleeding edge, usually due to cost and wanting to avoid teething issues. Years ago I bailed on PC gaming entirely and went to console because I just got tired of fussing about. Kinda why I have an old rig. ;) So, say I did drop $1000 on an 11th-gen build and get two years out of it with smoother gameplay (and more importantly, less frustration/disappointment) ... $500/year to support the sim hobby seems money well spent. ;)
Devel021

#17 Post by Devel021 » 16 Apr 2021 00:58

@jeefAD I totally agree that the frame drops and sometimes stuttering can get annoying when coming into cities and definitely breaks immersion. However after getting my Heavy Rigid truck License in Australia (Can't get a combination license for at least a year) in a Mack Granite 18speed I've noticed a lot more things that break the immersion. Example the map scale means that you only just get up to speed in some places and then need to slow down again, the clutch/gearbox feeling just can't be fully replicated, the trucks don't feel like they have enough torque down low and don't even bunny hop when you drop the clutch. I totally understand why these things are like that and think that SCS have done an amazing job.

So for me personally the immersion is mostly broken before I even get to the graphics, but I do love how beautiful the game looks. Makes it very enjoyable to go for a long cruise.
Nicochen51

#18 Post by Nicochen51 » 16 Apr 2021 12:11

hello, i use a triple screen Iiyama 27 "75hz, my setup is Ryzen5 5600x with 16gb of ram 3600mhz with an asus RTX 3070 OC at 2100mhz and an NVME 500gb hard drive. i have to make some concession if i want to stay stable at 75fps .scaling 300%, AA off, SSAO low and the grass density on low, the rest on high or Ultra and it's not bad at all like that, the lowest I go down is 60ips on a specific location on the map, but it doesn't interfere with the gaming experience. I play with G Sync and V Sync enabled.
jeefAD

#19 Post by jeefAD » 20 Apr 2021 16:24

Thanks @Nicochen51! Appreciated.

I took another spin in ETS2 last night, 484 KM trip according to my logbook:

CARGO SOY MILK
ORIGIN CIUDAD REAL (SPAIN)
DESTINATION SALAMANCA (SPAIN)
SENDER ALMACENES Y PAQUETERÍA PABLO
RECIPIENT LOGÍSTICA ATLÂNTICA
DISTANCE 484 KM
MASS 21 T
CARGO DAMAGE NONE
TAKEN APRIL 20, 2021 AT 2:41 AM
COMPLETED APRIL 20, 2021 AT 3:21 AM

No idea, but I found the game was performing better. Seriously!?! Installed game version is 1.40.3.3 with a last modified date of April 13, 2021.

I tested both with and without the Steam '-no-browser' tweak as well as the other game startup parameters mentioned by others (which I've tried before without much success). Maybe a little extra tearing/judder without the startup tweaks, but nothing like what I was seeing before. I was even able to run with scaling and AA! What the heck!?! I was also able to turn on vsync with the displays @ 60 Hz and it was holding pretty well driving around SALAMANCA with an ownable trailed attached. It was nice having vsync actually work! No massive dips/discrepancies between fps:refresh actually helped reduce tearing even further, like it should (e.g.: driving by poles and whatnot before, I could actually see poles split into vertical segments as they passed through my FoV in a roundabout).

So, I admit, I don't get it. I'll try to get more seat time this week, revisit Madrid and see if the same holds for ATS.

The only recent system change was the April 2010 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 x64 (20H2), KB5001330.

All that said, I did take the plunge and order some components. I know, I know. Impulsive. :P

Various thoughts actually did go into the equation and ultimately, now is a good time for me to build as I'll have other priorities in the new year. I helped a friend spec a 10th-gen i9 rig not too long ago and he's finding it a very solid upgrade over the i7-2600 he came from, which just so happens to have similar performance to my single E5. Online calculators also suggest my E5 is quite a bottleneck for the RTX 2070, which could be a good chunk of the problem. So, i5-11600K + board + M.2 SSD have already arrived and the rest should arrive this week. I seemed to fall into a sale/discount on every part too, so that's cool! I'll be sure to share the outcome and impact on ETS2 (and ATS) once the new rig is up and running.
jeefAD

#20 Post by jeefAD » 22 Apr 2021 02:55

Well, just did the following in ATS:

Cargo Wheel Loader
Origin Olympia (Washington)
Destination Pendleton (Oregon)
Sender Coastline Mining
Recipient HMS Machinery
Distance 269 mi
Mass 15 t
Cargo Damage None
Taken April 22, 2021 at 2:09 AM
Completed April 22, 2021 at 2:38 AM

Was able to run 200% scaling with AA and mostly high settings with only a few compromises. No SSAO of course. ;) Also tried with vsync on and refresh at 60 Hz -- felt pretty good. ATS does seem to benefit a bit more from the recommended game startup tweaks, for what it's worth. At least for me. FPS doesn't hold completely steady at 60 FPS, but it's manageable and WAY better than what I was dealing with. I did get a HUGE dip coming through Vancouver, WA tho. Like low 40's just on highway passing through. Super weird.

Anyway, going to do a bit more quantifying in the evenings this week. But, all very interesting. Really curious to see where I'll be after the new build, hopefully freeing up some performance in the RTX 2070 in the process. ;)

Also interesting is conversation out there re: recent Windows updates, such as: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolo ... r-BB1fJtft

I personally find things better since installing KB5001330 on April 19, 2021. Previous update installed was KB5000802 on March 21, 2021. Perhaps that update introduced something that had a negative impact on my setup and was cleared/resolved in the more recent cumulative release? I'm sure we'll ever know, but I've mostly got these sims back at this point. Still not quite at the IQ settings I want to be running, but I'll hopefully work on that over the weekend.

Return to “General discussion about the game”