My story in a roundabout way...

Caribear

My story in a roundabout way...

#1 Post by Caribear » 16 Apr 2021 09:21

First ofall: I have a quite severe mental illness that, amongst other things, makes it very difficult for me to interact with people in any sort of normal way. Moreover I am susceptible to large amounts of anxiety and frequently have bouts of incapacitation. To the devs I would just like to say that ATS and ETS2 have a remarkable therapeutic effect on me and helps calm me immensely. So thank you!!!

And then on to roundabouts in Europe. It is a bit embarrassing but i have played all this time without actually knowing the roundabout rules. I suspect rules are quite different to those applying in my country (not in the EU). For example, over here the rule is that any vehicle already IN the roundabout has right of way and that you indicate only when you want to leave the roundabout. In ETS2 though i get sideswiped by cars entering the roundabout as I am driving past them with me in the outside lane of the roundabout. Is this normal? Or how is it supposed to work?
taneorb

Re: My story in a roundabout way...

#2 Post by taneorb » 16 Apr 2021 15:59

In the UK the rule used to be give way to anyone on the right of the roundabout, not sure if that is the case now. But yes in most places in europe anyone on a roundabout has priority. Not sure if signaling to exit is necessary in every country, again when I learned to drive here you only needed to signal to exit on larger roundabouts.

Also I remember Russia is possibly different with the rules.

But I've found the game, or the AI at least doesn't seem to obey the roundabout rules in some cases. Like the amount of times I've been rammed by the AI while being on a roundabout is ridiculous, sometimes I feel like if you signal to exit the AI take that as a green light to just smash into the side of my truck.
Some newbie driver

#3 Post by Some newbie driver » 16 Apr 2021 22:36

AI vehicles DO respect roundabouts right of way. But AI vehicles are just software routines, they aren't intelligent at all (the AI word itself is a lie), they are bound to obey the rules 100%. So, there's 3 situations where they could cause easilly a crash:

1- The map doesn't have indicated the yield point at the entrance of a roundabout. So, as they are coming from our right, they apply the general "right way first" and enter the roundabout when unexpected. That's a MAP bug, report if you find it and eventually it will be solved.
2- AI detects where we are based in a POINT, not the whole truck. If that point is over the inner lane of a roundabout, AI will think the outer lane is free and will enter it. But a lot of times we will (or even must) drive between two lanes of a roundabout; so as we occupy part of the outer lane, we could end crashing the AI entering. That's 50% our fault, 50% an AI limitation.
3- You activate the right blinker (considering non-UK roundabout). AI thinks you are going to take next exit, as your blinker says, and doesn't check anything else before enter the roundabout. If you really keep driving inside the roundabout, it's easy to end crashing. 100% driver's fault due bad signaling.

Regards
MrCapital

#4 Post by MrCapital » 17 Apr 2021 08:48

Some newbie driver wrote: 16 Apr 2021 22:36 2- AI detects where we are based in a POINT, not the whole truck. If that point is over the inner lane of a roundabout, AI will think the outer lane is free and will enter it. But a lot of times we will (or even must) drive between two lanes of a roundabout; so as we occupy part of the outer lane, we could end crashing the AI entering. That's 50% our fault, 50% an AI limitation.
But AI shouldn’t enter the roundabout at all. No matter what lane you’re in as one must give way for everyone that is already in it. At least that’s how the rules are in Sweden and I would guess that’s how it is in most parts of EU.
[ external image ]
- retired modder - do not disturb -
Kenworth Gal

#5 Post by Kenworth Gal » 17 Apr 2021 08:59

To speak to Caribear’s other comment, I have debilitating schizoaffective disorder. And I completely agree: driving peacefully through the countryside listening to a Grateful Dead concert without having to leave my house is quite therapeutic.
Some newbie driver

#6 Post by Some newbie driver » 17 Apr 2021 12:15

MrCapital wrote: 17 Apr 2021 08:48But AI shouldn’t enter the roundabout at all. No matter what lane you’re in as one must give way for everyone that is already in it. At least that’s how the rules are in Sweden and I would guess that’s how it is in most parts of EU.
No, that's not true. If a roundabout has several lanes, and you are driving in the inner lane, the outer lane is free and it's allowed for a car to enter it. (I'm talking of general rules; if in Sweden want to build multi-lane roundabouts and then made them useless due that rule you mention, is up to theirs).

What it's not allowed is to enter to the free inner lane if somebody is driving on the outer lane; due obvious reasons, you would cross in the path of the vehicle in the outer lane.

Regards
MrCapital

#7 Post by MrCapital » 17 Apr 2021 12:25

You cannot enter a roundabout if you will interfere with traffic already in it. Then you must give way. So you must give way to everyone already in it. AI traffic doesn't follow that rule.

And Sweden had to adapt the rules for roundabouts to EU rules some time ago.
[ external image ]
- retired modder - do not disturb -
Some newbie driver

#8 Post by Some newbie driver » 17 Apr 2021 12:54

You don't interfere nobody if you enter in the outer lane and somebody is driving in the inner lane. That's why they have lanes. I'm not going to discuss that anymore. If your country administrations wants to mark lanes and then forbid the very reason of its existence then is up to theirs, nothing about European common regulations.

If the vehicle in the inner lane want to take the next exit, then it should had moved first to the outer lane. If he doesn't do that with time enough, the vehicle in the outer lane is NOT interfering it, it's a fault of the inner lane vehicle. And, as it's a roundabout, what inner vehicle MUST do is to circle again the roundabout preparing the exit maneuver with anticipation this time. That's what rules say and how people should drive.

IRL people driving in the inner lane have the bad habit to want to exit directly from this lane despite somebody in the outer lane. Then, either they do the maneuver anyway risking a crash or they stop in the middle of the roundabout like assh**** blaming the vehicle in the outer lane "because it's interfering me" (as if they were owners of the whole roundabout :roll:). That's the ONLY part AI does wrong regarding roundabouts: AI also stops in the inner lane when they can't exit.

And if you don't believe me; you can take for example Guardia Civil (Spanish police that has the tasks of road control, among others) Twitter account. They had repeated (with explanations and diagrams) that very same explanation of mine like a dozen times in past 2 years. A clear proof that people keep ignoring the very basic driving rules (something that, to be honest, doesn't surprise me about my country).

And that's exactly the behavior that follows AI in the game with 2 exceptions: the three mistakes that can happen that I mentioned before and some Russian roundabouts that work the opposite as usual (vehicles inside the roundabout have yield signs before each entrance to the roundabout). As far as I saw, it seems Russia apply this system only on big roundabouts. AI drives correctly on those Russian roundabouts, always that the map doesn't lack the proper yield points for the AI control to know what it has to do.

Regards
Last edited by Some newbie driver on 17 Apr 2021 13:02, edited 1 time in total.
xXCARL1992Xx

#9 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 17 Apr 2021 12:59

simple solution, if you see a truck in a roundabout, let it through no matter what, if it is a two lane round about the same applies, it WILL take up the 2 lanes if it has to (reason why smaller on lane roundabouts have a shoulder to not drive into the "garden" in the middle) wouldnt also be the first time i see a truck doing a 360 even if he wants to take the next exit from his entrance, just so he doesnt have to make a sharp bent but can drive out almost straight

but yes, the AI is to stupid for it all, just ignoring them is the only solution for now and maybe mod out collision fines because the release ob Iberia made them even more stupid
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Caribear

#10 Post by Caribear » 19 Apr 2021 10:30

GUYS... I think I figured it out after some experimentation. When you want to enter the roundabout (LHD), signal right, then immediately as you enter, Signal LEFT (this appears to be the crucial part) and keep in the outside lane, then signal right again as you are near your exit. Since I started using the signal left bit, I haven't been sideswiped once. Anyone else want to test this?

Return to “General discussion about the game”