Sounds Are Still Horrible...

OldVern

Re: Sounds Are Still Horrible...

#11 Post by OldVern » 20 Apr 2021 16:56

DGAF_AK87 wrote: 20 Apr 2021 07:39 Before FMOD they weren't that great either but it was bearable if you were going into TMP. When FMOD got introduced, it sounds like all the sounds for engines got neutered basically to just very basic sounds. Like to this day, it still disgusts me that the stock sounds basically go silent when you're off throttle rolling.... I did find it funny that when Kriech did the DXi motors, he used the SCS library on them and made it sound real
I think that is as much the issue - the fact the sounds seem to be either off or on. And it was definitely better before FMOD.
So where is the best place to find replacement sounds? Are they on Steam Workshop or is it necessary to visit the more dubious hosting sites to get them?
pigbrother

#12 Post by pigbrother » 21 Apr 2021 06:32

I really don't get how sounds were better before. Maybe just like a two weeks rotten fish is better than a four weeks rotten fish?
I have approximate knowledge of many things
bumbumek

#13 Post by bumbumek » 21 Apr 2021 09:31

Full agreed with dear @pigbrother. I would never go back to previous sound system. Perhaps few things would use some tweaks, but basically I approve entire new sound system.
piva

#14 Post by piva » 21 Apr 2021 09:36

I have no problems with sound, because I'm still playing on 1.36 :lol:
No problems with sound, no problems with dashboard brightness all day long, a lot of compatible mods... :lol:
mackintosh

#15 Post by mackintosh » 21 Apr 2021 10:31

There is no doubt fmod was and is a massive improvement. Both reworked and brand new mods are far better than anything before fmod.
NoDe31

#16 Post by NoDe31 » 21 Apr 2021 12:07

With or without FMOD, vanilla engine sounds are still just annoying background noise compared to what you can get from mods, and its really sad that moders can do it so much better with their limited free time and way less resources... And who in SCS thought it good idea to completely turn off engine sound when you release throttle? Not that is just unrealistic (engine still produce sound when you release throttle, or between gear shifts), its also annoying as heck... As for comparison of old and FMOD sound, well they got them from "really bad" to just "bad", its improvement at least, LOL...
DGAF_AK87

#17 Post by DGAF_AK87 » 22 Apr 2021 12:52

@OldVern Kriechbaum has sound mod links here on the forums in the mods section under sounds. A couple aren't working right now though because they haven't been updated to the latest version of FMOD that SCS is using.

Don't get me wrong, the jump to FMOD was a smart move on SCS' part and made many sound modders happy because of the endless possibilities, but there is a caveat to this though at the same time. Their sound engineer is proving to have issues adapting to the new engine and has screwed several sounds up in one way or another. The NG Scania V8 come to mind immediately, the sound for it on the old engine was actually decent. It had the bass of the V8, but you could tell that it wasn't an open pipe truck. The current sound we have has none of the characteristics of what it was or is, it honestly sounds like the sound was made on a Friday before a 3 day weekend at the end of shift. Like I get we're still trying to learn, but this now to the point that its a joke. Each sound does need reworked and SCS does have the library for it. Kriech proved this last year when he rebuilt the DXi engines for the Renault Magnum and Premium. The sounds are there, its just a lack of care at this point from what I'm seeing. I honestly feel like SCS is pulling a Bethesda here when it comes to the sounds. I can excuse some things, but game performance and sound are two things I can't. Especially when you have the tools to do it right and have had more time to work on it before the public got their hands on it with your rules in place.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Corsair H100i XT
32GB Patriot Steel Viper 3200
Too Many Drives to List
Gigabyte Windforce OC 2070S
Windows 10
wato

#18 Post by wato » 22 Apr 2021 12:56

The weird thing is that despite the pretty much unanimous criticism here on the forum (which is a rare occurrence), there is no acknowledgement or stated intent to improve by SCS.
In all other areas that I'm aware of, that is not the case. Usually, they are open about things that need fixing or even about the things that won't be fixed.

But somehow regarding the sounds, the issue seems to be pretty much ignored by SCS apart from the occasional meek defence of the status quo in maybe a stream or post. What is going on there?
mackintosh

#19 Post by mackintosh » 22 Apr 2021 13:06

Since there hasn't been much work on adding additional fmod effects beyond a basic implementation, I surmise they decided not to go beyond basic functionality until they have the resources available to devote to further improvements. As such, since they know they will eventually have to do this song and dance all over again, they probably just did a quick and dirty remix of everything to fit fmod "as is". Of course this all hinges on my assumption that they intend to implement missing features such as occlusion, proper reverb, etc. If they don't, then I am truly at a loss.
Graf_Boinenn

#20 Post by Graf_Boinenn » 22 Apr 2021 13:42

I think the issue is not the sources but in the mix.

It's like album mixing. You might have all the instruments recorded, but depends on the mix how it sounds. As a fan of Metallica, this happens a lot :lol:.

I give up on SCS improving their mix, so I stay with Kriechbaum mods. Can't drive my Range T wihout his mod.

Return to “General discussion about the game”