Stop "Game Changes" That arent major from cancelling my run

Whiskeyomega

Stop "Game Changes" That arent major from cancelling my run

#1 Post by Whiskeyomega » 27 Apr 2021 21:34

I have no problem with updates really. But little patches for a celebrations when all I want to do is come home to a long ETS2 job that I was just finishing only to find you have patched with some celebration thing and I cannot go back to a version to be able to finish the run Is annoying as hell. Please stop the game changes thing from cancelling runs when its a minor patch.
ETS2 Maps: PM - SR - RM - G.Steppe - Pro Greenland - RTA - Malta - ROExt
ATS Maps:CD + C2C + USE + VMexEx
Misc: ETS2 Local Radio
Audio: Schiit Bifrost + Jotunhiem + Loki EQ + Balanced Sennheiser HD650
plykkegaard

Re: Stop "Game Changes" That arent major from cancelling my run

#2 Post by plykkegaard » 27 Apr 2021 23:31

It was a large update with a lot if bug fixes for Iberia
You can control how the game updates through the Steam game options

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Drive Safely

#3 Post by Drive Safely » 27 Apr 2021 23:58

That "little patch" you described came with a lot of bug fixes. You can see the "post-release part" of the game version number had jumped a lot from the last version you played.

You could try Steam Offline mode if you're in an important delivery and don't want a game update to stop it
HFX

#4 Post by HFX » 28 Apr 2021 01:52

I actually play in Steam offline mode as a matter of course most days; that is not enough to stop the patching. You'd need to manually disable automatic updates on ETS2 - and then hope that Steam still allows you to play it as is, since it would've detected that an update came out anyways. So the only real alternative might be to keep Steam firewalled - all for the sake of pre-empting a surprise ETS2 update.
Driver080

#5 Post by Driver080 » 28 Apr 2021 06:55

I play with my pc disconnected from the internet for this reason
Is it too much to ask to have the vanilla SCS companies on the AI truck traffic???

What is the point of choosing a company name and logo when it's not used in the game???

In 20 years of trucking IRL I've never reversed a tanker onto a dock
Some newbie driver

#6 Post by Some newbie driver » 28 Apr 2021 09:40

plykkegaard wrote: 27 Apr 2021 23:31You can control how the game updates through the Steam game options
No you don't. There's no way in the actual Steam UI to avoid a game to receive updates. The only one can do is avoid preemptive updates. Anything else to prevent the update of the game had to be done via messy tricks that include having to remember to disable internet connection and similar. Players shouldn't have to rely on that kind of methods.

I really think SCS should re-consider the "safeguard" system when updates. Now it moves us to the assigned garage (that could be very far away from where we were) and cancel the job. I would suggest them to move us to the nearest workshop and keep the job active. Of course what it's not going to happen is that they keep us in the place we were; because if it's a road sector that has been changed that can cause a lot of different troubles. But I think my suggestion is a more player-friendly approach.

Regards
plykkegaard

#7 Post by plykkegaard » 28 Apr 2021 10:15

Hadn't the client in front of me at the time I wrote it
Back in the old days you could stop updates from downloading

if you are on a WoTr contract and these servers are updated you loose whatever you choose to do and the SCS method of safeguarding might be unavoidable

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Some newbie driver

#8 Post by Some newbie driver » 28 Apr 2021 10:22

Yes, you are right. Back in the old times updates could be disabled per-game basis.

I don't know when it was, but Valve removed that option from the client. I noticed it not so much ago, but it happened probably time ago; is not something that I will check usually.

And you are right about WoTR contracts; if the update force a purge on them then there's no job that could be kept. But the teleport could still be to nearest workshop instead to assigned garage. Way less disrupting for people that is doing some kind of route.
plykkegaard

#9 Post by plykkegaard » 28 Apr 2021 10:32

Hmm I have to check how to accomplish this in case I am on a standard delivery
Yesterday I could actually resume my WoTr delivery but cargo and contract was lost
Could be a solution if possible, though it might only work for online jobs

Reinhard

#10 Post by Reinhard » 28 Apr 2021 10:44

Some newbie driver wrote: 28 Apr 2021 10:22 And you are right about WoTR contracts; if the update force a purge on them then there's no job that could be kept.
I know next to nothing about WOT, not using it. But that shouldn't have any impact on other jobs.

The only thing I fully understand to really matter, maybe, for those other job types, is a change of the current road segment or prefab coordinates. That could really require an abandoned job, because you won't want to have your truck in the wilderness, inside a building, or falling off the map.

Are there difficulties to expect with hired drivers? May be, but I never ever hired a driver. I don't want to be cut off for that.

Is there anything else that couldn't be recalculated? And, if necessary to do so, communicated to the player? And let the player decide if he accepts this, or prefers to kill the job?

I'm pretty sure that almost all resets I've experienced over all the years weren't really necessary. And I would always have liked to at least try to continue the job.

So please, it would be nice if the decision to cut a job would be a bit more sophisticated. And the user should have a chance to decide himself, at least with some potential abort cases.

Return to “General discussion about the game”