Best overall truck in game (engine/transmition configuration for best power/fuel consumption)

nIGhT-SoN

Best overall truck in game (engine/transmition configuration for best power/fuel consumption)

#1 Post by nIGhT-SoN » 28 Apr 2021 08:40

Hey, everyone!

I thought I should start a thread where everyone can share their experiences with in game trucks, what was the best configuration and for which truck brand.

I just had a revelation trying the new Renault T truck with default transmission Optidriver AT2612F R and DTI11 460 Euro 6 engine. I've managed, from Hanover to Bialystok to get 27.2l/100 km, with 22t load. It's mainly a straight road, it has some hills and lots of toll gates, but I still got this fuel consumption. I drove respecting speed limits and I was amazed how little fuel it's using. I never managed to get this kind of fuel consumption with Scania or Volvo and I drove those a lot on different kind of roads and the lowest I could get with Scania was 32l/100km and 30-31l/100km with Volvo. I've tried different kind of configuration of engine and transmission, but still couldn't get that kind of mileage.

Also, what's more interesting is I felt the Renault T, in that combination, was pretty powerful for the kind of load I had. Retarder+Brake engine is really amazing on this truck, it really does a great job at stopping the truck from high speeds. I rarely feel like I have to use the break pedal.

Here are some pictures:
1.jpg
2.jpg
Now, I'd love to hear your experiences. What was the best truck for you and in what configuration? Did you manage to get this kind of mileage with Scania or Volvo, and what engine/transmission configuration you had?
harishw8r

Re: Best overall truck in game (engine/transmition configuration for best power/fuel consumption)

#2 Post by harishw8r » 28 Apr 2021 08:59

I use 4x2 for trucks and 3 axles for trailers.
The trailers are equipped with Krone tires and the trucks with the Michelin tyre which has an ‘A’ rating in fuel consumption. This is probably one of the least fuel consuming combinations.

Speaking of engines, I keep it only between 500-530 hp with mostly 13 litre engines (MAN is an exception). When I say a particular brand, I’d mean only its latest model and not the older ones. Also I use the expensive variant of the 12+Retarder gearbox in all of them. I use Cruise control and stick to the truck speed limits.

Based on my experience, I’d say Iveco (500 hp) is the best in fuel consumption. DAF (530 hp), Mercedes Benz (510 hp), Renault (520 hp) and Volvo (500 hp) follow next. Never got good results with Scania (500 hp) or MAN (520 hp).

DAF, Renault and Mercedes and Volvo really nail the show in this segment with the perfect balance between power delivery and fuel consumption. Iveco doesn’t feel snappy at all but nevertheless a good truck. Scania and MAN have good pickup (still not comparable to DAF or Renault) but I always end up getting above 30l/100km (sometimes close to 37).

450-480 hp engines should perform even better, with moderate load.

For DAF, once the truck reaches the common speed limit of 80 kmph, I switch to sequential gearbox and cruise in 12th gear to prevent it downshifting at 80. For Renault, Scania, MAN, Iveco and Volvo, I accelerate it to 83-85 kmph where it automatically shifts to the 12th gear, and then allow the truck to slow down to 80. The sweet speed of Mercedes is 78 so no such action was required. (All in economy mode)
nIGhT-SoN

Re: Best overall truck in game (engine/transmition configuration for best power/fuel consumption)

#3 Post by nIGhT-SoN » 28 Apr 2021 14:34

I gotta give a try to DAF. Right now I'm driving using "C" rated wheels in fuel consumption. I use cruise control a lot and I've noticed with the Renault T 460 you get good results if you drive mostly on roads that have the 80km/h limit. It's not great if you are looking to drive with 90km/h. On roads that are limited to 70km/h, you get best results running with 65km/h, which is great since most like you'll encounters curbs that would need lower speed than 70km/h. In town 47-50km/h runs really well.
dsf.fernando

#4 Post by dsf.fernando » 29 Apr 2021 08:52

For the Actros MP3, the 480hp engine with the 12-speed box with the lowest final drive looks like the best setup for fuel consumption, since it runs at 1100rpm on 12th gear at 80km/h. The same may be appliable to the MP4, but as my MP3 is a 6x2 and my MP4 is a 4x2, comparisons here may be skewed
Proud student of Games and Multimedia in the Polytechnic of Leiria - the Portuguese capital of game development
(and still hopeful the city will feature in the game with a garage someday)
goktugmen

#5 Post by goktugmen » 29 Apr 2021 20:24

Talking about the fuel consumption, do you give those Eco Driver skill points? They're like 25% less consumption as you learn to drive ECO. I'd never give in those skill points as after them the calculations in the truck would be wrong/altered I guess.

Anyways, without those skill points the best milage I got was with SCS TGX E6, D38 engine 640hp, OverDrive transmission with retarder. It was a trip from Finland to Bulgaria and the number was 26.4l/100km with 22 tons 4x2 conf. but I'd never ever exceeded 1500 rpm, I was very calm and let the truck just roll haha.
harishw8r

#6 Post by harishw8r » 29 Apr 2021 20:31

26.4 is an incredible number. What type of controller do you use?
Some newbie driver

#7 Post by Some newbie driver » 30 Apr 2021 09:37

@goktugmen the ECO driving skill is only applied if you play with "realistic fuel consume" disabled. Otherwise, the fuel consume is calculated more exactly, considering the way you drive, the kind of truck, cargo... and ignoring that skill in that case.
goktugmen

#8 Post by goktugmen » 30 Apr 2021 10:26

@Some newbie driver Thanks for the info, that's a thing I wondered for a long time now.

@harishw8r I use the mouse control with pedals, I know it sounds very impossible but that run was an actual planned attempt to see how less of fuel I could actually use with a powerful truck. In that matter I applied all the techniques I've learned so far to consume less power and I said 1500 rpm but it's kinda misleading because in a diesel engine the point is how much fuel you pump to engine and to control and minimize that I always gave max 25% of throttle, just touching the gas pedal. I watched an interview with a legendary old school trucker and his advice to be a good driver was "to think an egg under the pedals, touch them very kindly and you'll be okay." :lol:

Right now I drive with SCS TGX E6 2676 480hp engine and Direct Drive transmission with retarder, but this time I drive it like I would and I get a 28-29l/100km pumping the gas all the way. :twisted:
sachy

#9 Post by sachy » 30 Apr 2021 11:02

MAN and Scania, both 8x4, rarely under 50 l/100 km, with heavy doubles sometimes reaching like 80/100.
scaniadriver01

#10 Post by scaniadriver01 » 01 May 2021 16:20

i use a scania or a volvo 6x4 for doubles ( between 500 and 650 hp) and 8x4 ( 700+ hp) with special transport.. dont really mind diesel consumption.. aslong as it gets the job done and the truck and move with whatever i put behind it...
up to 18 tons any truck will do 4x2 or tag/mid lift... but anything beyond that im noticing a lack of power and grip ( keyboard user)

but once i had a 9 digit number on my bank account i didnt care about the diesel... if i buy a new truck i go straight to the max hp engine and best gearbox and best chassis.. i just buy a truck that can pull whatever i want to drag across europe

trucks that i used and that struggled to stay at 90 km/h at CC used more diesel then then more powerfull ones that could do it with ease

Return to “General discussion about the game”