Antiseptic world ?

MT269

Re: Antiseptic world ?

#11 Post by MT269 » 03 May 2021 04:59

In response to the above, the game engine is more comparable to TS20XX (Flintstones game engine) than something GTA V which is probably at least 10 years old anyway. Removing the invisible barriers would be a step forward. But there's the nightmarish task of trying to convince them to do so.

Towns/cities with sidewalks are the ideal environment for pedestrians, along with the occasional pedestrian alongside a highway. The game doesn't need to resemble a near lifeless wasteland. I am only getting this impression, because I play with absolute minimum traffic enabled. And hence the world looks very vacant. Currently SCS only places the odd pedestrian behind a fence at an delivery/pick up point. This needs to be improved if they want to bring their game into the 2020s in my opinion.

No offence. But the game is still quite 2011 like visually, and gameplay wise in some areas at least.
Flat Tire

#12 Post by Flat Tire » 03 May 2021 11:05

In city areas pedestrians would make huge difference, carparkings with restaurants ? nobody is leaving or entering... gas station.. all car are filled by ghosts. humans and animals, it s the question of life... yes, there for shure some core elements to improve or even change, but this should not prevent from giving this touch of life to the game. i have the impression, that in ATS there is a lot more ...
Flat Tire

#13 Post by Flat Tire » 03 May 2021 11:08

MT269 wrote: 03 May 2021 04:59 In response to the above, the game engine is more comparable to TS20XX (Flintstones game engine) than something GTA V which is probably at least 10 years old anyway. Removing the invisible barriers would be a step forward. But there's the nightmarish task of trying to convince them to do so.

Towns/cities with sidewalks are the ideal environment for pedestrians, along with the occasional pedestrian alongside a highway. The game doesn't need to resemble a near lifeless wasteland. I am only getting this impression, because I play with absolute minimum traffic enabled. And hence the world looks very vacant. Currently SCS only places the odd pedestrian behind a fence at an delivery/pick up point. This needs to be improved if they want to bring their game into the 2020s in my opinion.

No offence. But the game is still quite 2011 like visually, and gameplay wise in some areas at least.
Exactly.. u pointed it out.. agree 100%... and exactly this is the reason i don t invest in wheels, pedals, gearing... cause imo not worth it at the current state of the game. yes i like to drive around, with mods now quite enjoyable, but you can t buy all time DLCs to keep the mood to play...
MT269

#14 Post by MT269 » 03 May 2021 13:38

I think that a reaonable halfway solution would be for the pedestrians to have an invisible shield which results in at least 30% damage to the truck depending on the speed, and a reduction in XP, plus a fine. The pedestrian continues as though nothing happened.

The shield prevents the pedestrians from interacting with the truck in anyway, as well as eliminating any possibility of visible damage through impact.

SCS can't keep ignoring this forever.
Winchester1979

#15 Post by Winchester1979 » 04 May 2021 18:06

Have you ever been to a real life industrial area such as what we're mainly driving around in when we're in the big city in ETS2? It's pretty eerie walking around those places on foot, even in the middle of the day, because chances are you'll be the only pedestrian in the whole area because everyone is either busy working, or they're driving. The only time there's significant foot traffic is early mornings and late afternoons, when people get off or on their buses, and that's only if they're not driving.

It's not like we're driving around areas where there are schools or shopping districts where there'd be a lot of people around all the time - articulated trucks are usually not allowed around those places, so there's no point including them in the game. The only places where more pedestrians would even be appropriate are the tiny villages we drive through on occasion, and frankly I don't really miss them even there.
Flat Tire

#16 Post by Flat Tire » 04 May 2021 18:17

Quote removed - Don't quote the post above - Rule 2.12

Hmm. so you are not ingame driving through cities ? And in parking areas there are only living ghosts ? nobody entering or leaving the restaurants, nobody sitting on benches, but some idiotic robot industry aliens standing like monuments around..sorry i have been in a lot of industrial areas, and there is always some foot traffic, some fork lifteres driving around whatever .. bus stops without people ? imo this " game " lacks more and more the 21 century touch. and imo, without those wonderful work of many modders this game would be a pain in the butt...
Winchester1979

#17 Post by Winchester1979 » 04 May 2021 18:37

Other than truck traffic? No, the local industrial park is pretty much dead unless it's before seven in the morning (when everyone goes to work), between noon and one (when everyone who has the option rushes off to grab a bite); or after five in the afternoon (when everyone is going home.) There's still activity in between, truck deliveries being one of the main things, and the occasional customer to one of the specialty shops, but they're not a constant stream. And pedestrians are rare, as most people drive.

And implementing people parking and leaving their vehicles and stuff would be a *huge* undertaking. Not to mention it'd be a massive pain in the front bumper to have pedestrians crossing the street and stuff - the game has enough problems with stupid AI *car* traffic, I don't need them walking out in front of my truck as well. If you're not penalized in any way for colliding with a pedestrian it'd be unrealistic, but if you *are* penalized as harshly as someone outlined above, a pedestrian in the wrong place due to an AI glitch will ruin your game.

Not to mention the effect it would have on game performance having to run all those pedestrians and their various animations, and having to create scripts for every city in the game (which people will then complain about because they're just the same five people doing the same five things at each prefab of the same kind).

Edit: @Flat Tire The moderators here for whatever silly reason don't like when you quote the post directly above, I'd suggest removing the quote before they do.
dsf.fernando

#18 Post by dsf.fernando » 10 May 2021 21:40

Winchester1979 wrote: 04 May 2021 18:06 Have you ever been to a real life industrial area such as what we're mainly driving around in when we're in the big city in ETS2? It's pretty eerie walking around those places on foot, even in the middle of the day, because chances are you'll be the only pedestrian in the whole area because everyone is either busy working, or they're driving. The only time there's significant foot traffic is early mornings and late afternoons, when people get off or on their buses, and that's only if they're not driving.
Even while riding a bicycle it's quite strange. There were one or two pedestrians but only in the "main street"
Proud student of Games and Multimedia in the Polytechnic of Leiria - the Portuguese capital of game development
(and still hopeful the city will feature in the game with a garage someday)
Darkcaptain

#19 Post by Darkcaptain » 11 May 2021 02:20

I agree with the Topic, there are many necessary things that would make the game much more entertaining and varied:

Implement physics in the terrain, that the asphalt changes, small potholes etc ... are appreciated, implement puddles when it rains, implement dirt in the truck and washing option
Improve traffic, include taxis, motorcycles, buses stopping at some stations, etc.
Include more pedestrians, cyclists, trucks picking up garbage containers, trucks leaving / entering company locations etc.

I am not asking to get off the truck and refuel at gas stations, or deliver papers at the borders etc ... although it would not be bad :lol:

Return to “General discussion about the game”