New DAF arrived on Euro Truck Simulator 2

scaniadriver01

Re: New DAF arrived on Euro Truck Simulator 2

#231 Post by scaniadriver01 » 20 Jun 2021 17:00

From what i know is that a single eurosize trailer is 14,5 meters.. and what cabtype is in front doesnt matter that much.. as it was a hype to have a very small daycab with a topsleeper section and companies cared about moving as much cargo as possible and no comfort for truckdrivers.. so there where new rules for larger cabs so truckdrivers had more comfort so they dont have to squeeze themselfs into tight tin boxes.. maximum length for a truck and trailer combo is 16,5 meters and for a rigit with a trailer 18 meters from what i know about the rules

The 16,5 meters became a problem with torpedo cabs.. as they needed shorter trailers to stay within the size rules
eshvos

#232 Post by eshvos » 20 Jun 2021 17:20

@scaniadriver01 That's incorrect.
European trailers are at max 13,6 m long (some countries have exceptions for (some) 45' = 13,72 m trailers for compatibility with other countries). There are also EuroCombis, but I won't talk about them here, as their regulations, result in the same space for the cab.

If you subtract the minimum space between the trailer and the cab (0,55 m) and the length of the trailer (13,6 m) from 16,5 m you get the 2,35 m cabin length: 16,50 m - 13,60 m - 0,55 m = 2,35 m. You can drive trucks with a bonnet or a longer sleeper (e. g. Scania Longline), but you loose space for your cargo. E. g. with a Scania Longline (cabin is 1,3 m longer than a standard EU cabin, same length as the bonnet of the Scania T btw.), you could still haul 12,20 m (40') ISO containers or a tanker.

With the new DAF, you can still only haul a 13,6 m trailer, but you can have a longer total vehicle length (> 16,50 m), as you drive an aerodynamically enhanced tractor.
Goodbye. No interest in participating in a community where posts get silently deleted without any explanation.
scaniadriver01

#233 Post by scaniadriver01 » 20 Jun 2021 19:47

eshvos wrote: 20 Jun 2021 17:20 @scaniadriver01 That's incorrect.
European trailers are at max 13,6 m long (some countries have exceptions for (some) 45' = 13,72 m trailers for compatibility with other countries). There are also EuroCombis, but I won't talk about them here, as their regulations, result in the same space for the cab.

If you subtract the minimum space between the trailer and the cab (0,55 m) and the length of the trailer (13,6 m) from 16,5 m you get the 2,35 m cabin length: 16,50 m - 13,60 m - 0,55 m = 2,35 m. You can drive trucks with a bonnet or a longer sleeper (e. g. Scania Longline), but you loose space for your cargo. E. g. with a Scania Longline (cabin is 1,3 m longer than a standard EU cabin, same length as the bonnet of the Scania T btw.), you could still haul 12,20 m (40') ISO containers or a tanker.

With the new DAF, you can still only haul a 13,6 m trailer, but you can have a longer total vehicle length (> 16,50 m), as you drive an aerodynamically enhanced tractor.
true about the 13,6.. im used to 14,5.. dont know why.. i know the refridged trailer i use for work is wider and a bit longer because of the cooling unit on the front... so the fifth wheel is moved backwards a bit.. and wider because of the thicker walls but not that much... but i know from my driving test in 2009 ( crap i feel old -_- ) my driving instructor told me that the rule of cablenghts was scrapped a large bit because of the tight cabins and top sleepers that had some number of kills as someone was sleeping in it and the driver clipped a low bridge.. also sleeping compartments under the trailer when the driver tried to get over a bump and crushed the compartment.. but thats a different story and not related to this topic..
but i know a driver from work who had an iveco.... torpedo... thingy.. forgot the name of it.. he could only use a short trailer.. if he wanted a eurosized trailer he needed permits to exceed the maximum length
Some newbie driver

#234 Post by Some newbie driver » 20 Jun 2021 20:05

Most "torpedo" truck cabins I've seen in last years were hauling all tankers; as those trailers in lots of cases don't need to be as longer as "boxed" ones; so they have margin in length to not to exceed the regular rules.
scaniadriver01

#235 Post by scaniadriver01 » 20 Jun 2021 20:33

true.. but also keep in mind a lot of truckdrivers that have bought thier own truck mostly have a sertain truck for show.. like a torpedo cab is pretty much useless doing grocery deliveries all the time..
but like i mentioned before.. with a permit he can couple it to a 13,6m trailer
he might get pulled over a lot because police will think he will exceed the lenght regulations.. but when he has the permits he is free to go...
same with belgium.. if your truck is longer then the maximum lenght you need to have a beaon on the truck/trailer.. that draws attention.. so most drivers i have spoken just drive without the beacon on.. its against the rules.. but they dont get pulled over..

also daf will also deliver speciall chassis lenghts on order.. like to have a 6x4/2 with a longer chassis to fit a large diesel tank or airtanks behind the cab.. or like the company A.Janssen in the netherlands to move the daf cabin backwards to design a torpedo truck that daf never created..
[ external image ]DAF XT 105-460 (Jansen) [nl]
Winchester1979

#236 Post by Winchester1979 » 21 Jun 2021 09:17

scaniadriver01 wrote: 20 Jun 2021 20:33 true.. but also keep in mind a lot of truckdrivers that have bought thier own truck mostly have a sertain truck for show.. like a torpedo cab is pretty much useless doing grocery deliveries all the time..
Most Torpedo cabs aren't "just for show", they're working trucks. It's just that they usually haul shorter loads. For example, gravel trailers like in your own photo where you have no problem reaching maximum Gross Combination Weight well under the length limit.

Another application is for heavy haulage, where much of the time you're going to need a special permit anyway. (I was watching a video the other day of a transformer being transported where there was a cabover Scania 8x4 pulling the trailer, and then a Scania T 8x4 pushing from behind.)
scaniadriver01

#237 Post by scaniadriver01 » 21 Jun 2021 11:47

Winchester1979 wrote: 21 Jun 2021 09:17
Most Torpedo cabs aren't "just for show", they're working trucks. It's just that they usually haul shorter loads. For example, gravel trailers like in your own photo where you have no problem reaching maximum Gross Combination Weight well under the length limit.

Another application is for heavy haulage, where much of the time you're going to need a special permit anyway. (I was watching a video the other day of a transformer being transported where there was a cabover Scania 8x4 pulling the trailer, and then a Scania T 8x4 pushing from behind.)
Im referring to the general transport.. not special transport.. as i didnt say all the trucks are all for show.. but most that i come across are.. as in why need a 730hp engine when he only hauls less then 5 tons of flowers.. as i ment a large number of trucks are not menr for the work they should be doing.. same with torpedos.. they are fine for long distance driving.. also good on the drivers comfort as he sits behind the front wheels instead of on top.. but i wouldnt want a torpedo for jobs that go down town as the lack of space will become a problem to turn the truck as a torpedo has a bigger turning circle.. but as i said. If you got permits you can use normall sized trailers or even B-couples..
eshvos

#238 Post by eshvos » 21 Jun 2021 12:15

@scaniadriver01 Which country are you talking about? Which exact permits do you need to get where? Are these permits available for divisible loads? Sources?

These exceptions, if they exist, are definitely not EU-wide (no one would be driving cabovers with 2,35 m cabs then) ... I've never seen a Scania T or Longline with a regular 13,60 m trailer within the EU. Outside the EU (Australia, Russia, Latin America), they can definitely be seen with longer trailers. Norway also allows longer trucks (e. g. Volvo FH XXL), as the length limit in Norway is 17,50 m instead of 16,50 m.

There are also regulations ("BO Turning Circle") about the curve radius, which further limit the axle placement and vehicle length.
Goodbye. No interest in participating in a community where posts get silently deleted without any explanation.
Underscore_101_

#239 Post by Underscore_101_ » 21 Jun 2021 14:34

So long as there are total length restrictions a cabover is always the best option.

And as you can see in the XT image a few posts above, the truck is a lot longer, but driver space isn't that much more, if more at all.
eshvos

#240 Post by eshvos » 21 Jun 2021 15:06

Underscore_101_ wrote: 21 Jun 2021 14:34So long as there are total length restrictions a cabover is always the best option.
Depends on the length restrictions and the type of work you are planning to do. ;)

Australia has differing length regulations for example and these allow conventional trucks with sleepers and cabovers. Apart from living space, conventionals and cabovers also have differences in weight distribution. So if length regulations also allow for a conventional, it could make sense to choose the conventional with a smaller sleeper over the cabover, to improve weight distribution (and payload capacity), as (European) cabovers tend to have a heavy front axle, which is less of a concern with conventionals.
If you have to go into cities regularly or you prefer a larger sleeper and weight distribution is less of a concern, you might want choose the cabover (e. g. K200 with the "BigCab" sleeper) instead. ;)

There are more reasons for conventionals, i. e. some people prefer the ride characteristics of conventionals over cabovers and others just want a "more stylish" truck. :lol:
Underscore_101_ wrote: 21 Jun 2021 14:34And as you can see in the XT image a few posts above, the truck is a lot longer, but driver space isn't that much more, if more at all.
The cabin size is the same, just as the Scania T. They only moved the cabin back by 1+ m and mounted a bonnet in front of the cabin to cover the engine compartment.

Return to “General discussion about the game”