Engine upgrade and DX12 coming to ETS2 and ATS!

plykkegaard

Re: Engine upgrade and DX12 coming to ETS2 and ATS!

#11 Post by plykkegaard » 13 Jun 2021 17:50

If we should get hyped over anything then the fact that SCS has job openings for developers with knowledge of Vulkan

https://scssoft.com/jobs/en/programmer
  • Considerable pluses:
    • Professional experience in the game development industry
    • Experience with DirectX, Vulkan or OpenGL
    • Experience with Bullet, Havoc, or other physics simulation SDK
    • Experience with FMOD or other audio engines
    • Experience with multi agent simulations, path finding, and other AI programming tasks
    • Experience with client-server and peer-to-peer networking
    • Experience with multi-threading and multi-processing
    • Experience with developing for consoles

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Some newbie driver

#12 Post by Some newbie driver » 13 Jun 2021 19:00

In fact, I always thought SCS would leave the DX path and focus on Vulkan as a way to unify all the different codes they have to support now for different platforms. But of course, if they are interested in consoles, specifically XBOX one, to have DX12 additionally to Vulkan it's more interesting.

Anyhow, considering that actually less than 9% players on Steam don't have a DX12 capable system (some of them having to update the OS although); and knowing that number will be way lower for the time we could get DX12; I'm pretty sure SCS will not keep DX11 version alive at all (at most, 1 major version as they did with DX9 once DX11 entered in beta support).

Regards
TheTiger

#13 Post by TheTiger » 13 Jun 2021 19:03

Well... multi-thread and multi-processing is what we want!!! DX12 or Vulkan can wait.

So, MAX, Pavel knows nothing? :lol:
xXCARL1992Xx

#14 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 13 Jun 2021 19:05

then you can wait even longer, DX12 and Vulkan are the APIs that can do it the best
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Some newbie driver

#15 Post by Some newbie driver » 13 Jun 2021 19:13

TheTiger wrote: 13 Jun 2021 19:03Well... multi-thread and multi-processing is what we want!!! DX12 or Vulkan can wait.
You didn't understood what I said in my first message. Both changes are going to come together. They need to go multi-core for several reasons and the best way to do it (on the graphics side) is to change to Vulkan and/or DX12. It's not going to be only a full multi-core change (we are playing multi-core already, but limited); neither it's going to be an API change only.
TheTiger

#16 Post by TheTiger » 13 Jun 2021 19:25

Actually, I didn't read your first post and this wasn't an answer for you either. Was just my opinion :P

Anyway, we are playing "multi-core", kind of, but the power is not shared equal. But, they can also implement multi-core and thread for the DX11 also, nothing can stop them to do this. For this was my post about.

But,you are right, the best solution for not wasting time on trying to implement it on DX11 is to switch directly to DX12 or Vulkan.
flight50

#17 Post by flight50 » 13 Jun 2021 20:50

@plykkegaard. Thanks for posting that. Its a very positive sign to see SCS is planning for an even better future. Can't stay behind because technology definitely won't.
Some newbie driver

#18 Post by Some newbie driver » 13 Jun 2021 21:10

TheTiger wrote: 13 Jun 2021 19:25Anyway, we are playing "multi-core", kind of, but the power is not shared equal.
They had been moving things in the background, but as you say, still too imbalanced so the single main core is still too loaded.
TheTiger wrote: 13 Jun 2021 19:25But, they can also implement multi-core and thread for the DX11 also, nothing can stop them to do this. For this was my post about.
Yes it's true, there's lots of multi-core games using DX11. Problem with that is DX11 doesn't allow more than 1 communication channel with the GPU; so, at the end, al the graphic load (that it's a big chunk of the CPU load of this kind of games) has to pass by a single thread. That limits the scalability of the engine; it's multi-core but can't really leverage all the power of modern computers (it's the usual game suited for the long-term 4 cores Intel mindset that ruled the gaming PC for a long time)

It happens also that lots of those games are using third-party engines they acquire and tune to their need. They do so to save time and focus on the final game. Of course, when one company does so, they aren't going to tune so much that base third-party engine to turn it proper full multi-core. They just settle to what they chose and try to do their best around it. While SCS as they do it all (FMOD apart now) in their house, I think it will be probably better for them to do a whole change all in a single step; multi-core using an API suited for that. Otherwise they would had to completely change the logic of the code two times if they move to multi first and DX12/Vulkan later. Seems too many wasted effort IMHO. So, we are agree on that.

At the end, just our guessing. For sure Max and others take a good amount of laughs seeing us scratching our heads trying to know what will come in the future.

Regards
Max
SCS Software

#19 Post by Max » 13 Jun 2021 21:18

TheTiger wrote: 13 Jun 2021 19:03 So, MAX, Pavel knows nothing? :lol:
look what i wrote .. ;)
are you in doubt about pavel's words? why? .. :P
you know how it is meant.
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
TheTiger

#20 Post by TheTiger » 13 Jun 2021 21:37

Ohhh, right. I misunderstood. I always trust what Pavel say. 😎

Return to “General discussion about the game”