Engine upgrade and DX12 coming to ETS2 and ATS!

Some newbie driver

Re: Engine upgrade and DX12 coming to ETS2 and ATS!

#51 Post by Some newbie driver » 16 Jun 2021 21:26

mackintosh wrote: 14 Jun 2021 21:50Indeed, quite right. I haven't looked at the survey in a while, seems almost everyone has a DX12 capable GPU now. The 3070 is almost up to 1.5%. Now that's impressive, all things considered.
Well, is known than the Steam Survey tends to ask to be done in newer PCs than in those long-term running; also that people with new flamboyant computers are more willing to share the stats (even forcing the run of the survey). So the results aren't exactly matching reality; but they are a good approximation and the best if we consider public data available.

And I really don't understand why Valve doesn't just gather all the basic data of all their customers and done; making a real data set instead of a survey. For sure their good reasons they will have; it's just that I can't guess them.

Regards
plykkegaard

#52 Post by plykkegaard » 16 Jun 2021 21:34

They can't just grab the data they want, it is intrusive

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Some newbie driver

#53 Post by Some newbie driver » 16 Jun 2021 23:19

I understand to be intrusive the collection of PERSONAL data, wether main one or other kind od data that all linked together leads to a personal profile. That's what all major tech companies do (even when forbidden) with their users and what most people is tolerant/indulgent/ignorant about.

But I don't see the problem (and I even thing it's perfectly allowed) to gather plain non-personal anonymous data basic for the working and developing of the software. I'm talking about CPU type, amount and kind of RAM, amount of kind of disk, type of graphic card, Operative System model and version and not so much more. That's plain hardware/software data and very anonymous so there should be no concern about it; neither concern about the reason to gather it. If that would be illegal, the very activation of Windows would it be too (the activation ID of any Windows version is a main hardware list of the computer).

After all, Steam survey is not a "market share" report (nobody uses seriously this way because everybody knows it doesn't work), but it's a kind of data Steam presents in order for all developers of the platform to know the kind of hardware their potential customers are going to have. So the programs on Steam can fit better the capabilities of potential customers.

As I said, I'm sure they will have good reasons, just that I don't see which ones those could be. Of course, what they can't do is to gather all the data they do with the actual survey without an explicit consent of the user.

Regards

BTW, a great part of that list of very basic hardware and software is already made "public" by our browser to any website we visit that ask for it. Ans when I say ask, I don't mean that the website shows any message to the user asking for permission to do so. It works that way because it was considered it's data necessary in some cases for the web services to work correctly. The same approach is what I meant with Steam gathering that for all their users.
Marcello Julio

#54 Post by Marcello Julio » 18 Jun 2021 21:43

Man, I don't believe a lot of people are confirming by YouTube videos the date when DirectX 12 comes into the game, based on the date said by the AP 101 Gaming video, being that any date is not confirmed by SCS 🤦 I can't believe they're saying something that hasn't been officially said. Then there will be pressure on SCS about something that was never stated.
plykkegaard

#55 Post by plykkegaard » 18 Jun 2021 22:04

It could be legal to harvest the data, but it must be legal in all countries to make it worthwile @Some newbie driver
A lot of platforms do it
Would you trust Steam if they did harvest all the data they can possible get?

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
flight50

#56 Post by flight50 » 18 Jun 2021 22:16

Honestly speaking, Pavel did say he speaks with confidence. His words did seem pretty positive to me. In order for him to always be soooo cautious on what he says lately, yet he came out and said what he said, I see why people think that. I don't think its to far fetched so I'd actually have to agree. If Pavel talked about it, it would have to be within the next .5-1.5 years. Just because some of us don't think its possible, doesn't mean its impossible. We have no idea how long they started working the engine for this upgrade. It could have been as soon as DX11 went into affect knowing that they won't halt there. Just like many didn't think MP would come until the end of 2021. SCS did a lot of hiring. A lot of that in the right places so they have manpower across the board. With that manpower comes experience from outside that can help take things to the next level. So if 1.42 is the Winter update the sky is the limit. Neither Texas nor HoR will be out more than likely so we'll need something. Maintenance heavy or upgrade for something. There is also 1.43 (Spring), 1.44 (Summer) or 1.45 (Winter). Now these are just guesstimations as I have no idea when these update will arrive nor what comes with them, but I don't put anything pass the abilities of the devs anymore. Each year they amaze me and its fun to watch them grow into a serious production company. They are not 30-50 employees since 2017 when I started following. They are well over 200 deep. Not to long ago, Pavel mentioned they are over 200 just in Prague alone. Then another 40-50 something contractors global iirc. So the bandwidth is increase to kick out more content. When.....is the question. Eventually is all we need to know which is what Pavel pretty much said. Its in the works so it won't be 2+ years from now if he talked about it recently.
Some newbie driver

#57 Post by Some newbie driver » 18 Jun 2021 22:26

Of course not @plykkegaard; not if they harvest all the data they can possible get (the way you say it). But that was never what I was pretending to say.

I would not mind if the "opted-in by default" collection of data would be strictly limited to absolutely basic hardware/software info as I explained. I really don't mind because there's absolutely no leakage of personal data derived from that and at the same time would be relevant data enough for better products and services to be offered to us, consumers.

I understand that the actual survey as it's done (they record more extensive and detailed information) could not be made automatically neither "opted-in by default".

Regards

PS: @Marcello Julio, that's exactly the reason why I said Pavel shouldn't had talked about DX12 if he was not going to say a date. Now people are already inventing dates. Soon they will believe their own imaginations. Not so much later are going to start complaining about SCS not honoring those dates. In six months, this is going to be a "cry me a river" scenario. I'm sure you recognize pretty well that behavior pattern.
Truckdrivr

#58 Post by Truckdrivr » 19 Jun 2021 13:56

@flight50 agree with you thoughts on this, after they dropped the bomb of the Convoy MP now in OB, i dont think anything is impossible for SCS, and they can (and will) surprise us any moment, litterally, with new goodies.
Although that certain youtuber has slinged out some random crab in the past and personally i think it does more harm than good to SCS with all his made up dates for this and that, because he has quite alot of followers which may not know of the SCS blog or this forum so they believe him and his videos.
Convoy nametag: Truckdrivr
See you on the road 8-)

My screenshot thread: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=302557
RoxyQuarry

#59 Post by RoxyQuarry » 26 Jun 2021 16:16

Really hoping motion blur gets a seat on this train.
cristianrpbeijo

#60 Post by cristianrpbeijo » 02 Dec 2021 01:57

i'm really excited to see engine update and dx12! maybe somes graphics and lights related bugs, go away with a newer engine and dx :D not count the performance increase and the graphics quality!

Return to “General discussion about the game”