Quality of Recent SCS Paintjobs

Polarlicht

Re: Renault T Diamond Evolution terrible paintjob quality (again)

#41 Post by Polarlicht » 23 Sep 2021 06:47

HetriX wrote: 08 Sep 2021 09:03 I prepared a quality version.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2596454570
Thank you!!
AntonioMart wrote: 09 Sep 2021 18:42 Same thing with the DAF XF Euro 6 Unity Edition paintjobs, it's very poor quality:
SCS sometimes does really awesome quality things, but at the same time don't make a high-quality paintjob. Well, i don't know. :?
I just changed the thread title to be more generic for this topic, and not only for the Renault T. ;)
Reis_6

Re: Recent paintjobs quality!

#42 Post by Reis_6 » 23 Sep 2021 12:23

Interesting topic. Tbh, sometimes I can't understand some of SCS decision making. The quality of Hetrix's contest skin is simply 'wow'! Amazing look and great resolution, and as I understood it, some posts ago, he resized to test his painting with the resolution that SCS uses and it looked better even though it was reduced from his 4k version to what SCS uses. Very strange this, there should be a 'quality control' for this, even more coming from a contest, where the truck was 'built' in real life... All right, we are in a pandemic, etc, everything may not have gone as planned, like Hetrix going to the event in France, for example, but so... Taking a content that was already ready in high res for the game and turning it into what we have officially today, honestly, was a mistake by SCS. And it looks like they will not fix it unless they do an update pack to fix the skins with low resolution and the Hetrix one is included. Could someone from SCS come in here and talk about that, especially about the Hetrix skin. (And congrats for the mod at workshop @HetriX ;))
55sixxx

Re: Recent paintjobs quality!

#43 Post by 55sixxx » 23 Sep 2021 13:25

Here are my old PC specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300
Nvidia GT 220 1GB
4GB Ram
Random Motherboard
Pretty low standard PSU

That PC used to struggle while running ETS2 on Medium-Low, when it hit the 40fps mark i would already consider to be a good day. And back then i used to make HQ skins and even though that PC was dog sh*t, it ran HQ skins without any issues whatsoever. And below you'll find samples of how my skins look like:

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

You can easily walk up close to them in the shop and it will barely have any sort of pixelation, so, the excuse of being able to run normally on bad PCs is disproved.

And you also can easily see the difference between old SCS paintjobs and newer ones... Some of the Nations DLC's and other themed DLC's have decent quality texture (It's not bad but i's not good either), but when you look at newer ones, like the Winning design from the Renault Contest, the Goodyear DLC ones from ATS and much more, it's very bad.

SCS does current paintjobs in bad quality for a reason, and it's not the performance impact one.
j7n

Re: Quality of Recent SCS Paintjobs

#44 Post by j7n » 23 Sep 2021 20:35

The original post obviously suffers from DXT compression. But why are these paintjobs usually monolithic huge texture files even if the graphic is simple and consists of solid red or black areas? Surely only the text and logos need to have high detail, and the rest can be mapped to a small single color image. That would conserve memory better than uniform compression.
Truckerking_42006

#45 Post by Truckerking_42006 » 27 Sep 2021 04:17

same when i tried a scs paintjob the skin is 2048x2048 pixel which vey bad when i take take the camera near the skin pixels are visible clearly
[ external image ] by SKIN WORKS
[ external image ]
MY FLICKR FLICKR MY SCREEN THREAD CLICK HERE MY SKINWORKS CLICK HERE
Polarlicht

#46 Post by Polarlicht » 30 Apr 2022 09:09

I tweeted at scs and renault about the diamond evolution paintjob for example. Lets see if they respond or pretend they haven't seen the tweet :lol: :x
plykkegaard

#47 Post by plykkegaard » 30 Apr 2022 09:30

j7n wrote: 23 Sep 2021 20:35 .. why are these paintjobs usually monolithic huge texture files even if the graphic is simple and consists of solid red or black areas?
Due to how the 3D model is made
You can easily do what you sugfgest but it requires a unique variant of the model to apply

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Polarlicht

#48 Post by Polarlicht » 27 May 2022 18:11

Gotta say the tuning pack skins look alright... At least compared to the Diamond-Evolution's textures. :roll:

Return to “General discussion about the game”