Quality of Recent SCS Paintjobs

F4R35

Re: Renault T Diamond Evolution terrible paintjob quality (again)

#11 Post by F4R35 » 12 Jul 2021 22:26

Back in 2015 I was using Skins for RJL scania that had texture size of 8192x8192, and they had 0 effect on my potato laptop back then! Not a single drop on FPS! 4096 is enough. I don't thinkmthe reason is Perfornce or optimization, it's laziness!

The only reason I don't drive the Renault T in game isnthe stupid( horrible and utterly disgusting) 2D dome lights on the interior!

And that stupid low res thing on top of the battery box which I never saw in a real truck before! And SCS never bothered to fix it!

Another fact, back in 2015 they had a bug on the plastick parts behind the windows on.the Scania R6 and streamline so how did they fix it? They made it painted part and voila!!!

In one hand I always appreciate SCS's effort and I want them to get better as a company because they have a passion for what they do, and in the other hand they really got me confused with some.of their decisions and stubbornness to fix some IMO really easy to fix bugs.
"Expectations are the thief of Joy"
Some newbie driver

#12 Post by Some newbie driver » 12 Jul 2021 22:31

F4R35 wrote: 12 Jul 2021 22:26I don't thinkmthe reason is Perfornce or optimization, it's laziness!
It can't be laziness when the texture is made at higher resolutions and then had to be properly downscale (and with properly, I mean several tries when the results aren't good enough with previous ones). One can't blame somebody for being lazy if what we would want them to do would mean to have to work less.

There's lots of things that affect performance and there's other considerations not only performance. There exist very valid reasons to provide low res textures. But in 2021 is hard to find very good reasons to provide ONLY low res textures.

Regards
Polarlicht

#13 Post by Polarlicht » 12 Jul 2021 23:03

Yeah nah. That potato pc is not an excuse for me. Is there even data on that how many people have what type of pc for the game? Even a lower end pc should handle a better resolution and texture than that. And the newer game vehicles (like range t, daf xg) themselves have great textures low end pc need to handle (with lower graphic settings ofc). So nope, has not that much to do with the pc itself, rather than the settings ingame. Iam not asking for 4k ultra whatever quality, but a little better than that skin is not asking for too much.
And why should we high end pc people need to deal with low end stuff like that?
F4R35

#14 Post by F4R35 » 12 Jul 2021 23:15

Based on steam hardware stats, most PCs are more than capable of running ETS2 on high settings with just SSAO off!

So potato PC excuse isn't valid! And if you look on the most successful games right now! Do they even consider low end PCs? And who expects ETS to run on Intel HD graphics?
"Expectations are the thief of Joy"
Some newbie driver

#15 Post by Some newbie driver » 12 Jul 2021 23:22

You have the whole forum full of neverending complains of really low performance when gaming. So, yes, there's LOTS of potatos out there in the wild; SCS knows it well enough (they have the data, of course; and NO, it's not like Steam survey). Lost the count of how many Intel graphic cards I've seen on game logs so far. :roll:

As I said, there's lots of reasons (and not just only the potato PC) for low res to exist. There's no reasons so they are the ONLY choice for us, not in 2021.

Looked from the outside, it seems they had fear to do some big steps sometimes. It's being time SCS clean out that "minor developer complex" that sometimes it seems they have.
SirVirgoTheMess

#16 Post by SirVirgoTheMess » 12 Jul 2021 23:26

I'm thinking about this : i believe this may be SCS work,and not the work from HetriX downgraded by SCS in quality and resolution.As i saw from screenshots and read from people,HetriX version looks way better and is not metallic.
I could be wrong on who's work it is,but it doesn't change the fact it looks terrible ingame.
Polarlicht

#17 Post by Polarlicht » 12 Jul 2021 23:30

I have low fps sometimes as well. But i highly doubt thats the fault of some paintjob. I have my settings maxed out and get fps drops in big cities, dense forests or with heavy rain

Hetrix version had grey mirrors, scs and real are red, so scs and renault adapted it and made their own version i guess. Also hetrix didnt have the blue metallic hue to it. And neither does the real one 🙄
Last edited by Polarlicht on 12 Jul 2021 23:35, edited 1 time in total.
Some newbie driver

#18 Post by Some newbie driver » 12 Jul 2021 23:33

F4R35 wrote: 12 Jul 2021 23:15And if you look on the most successful games right now! Do they even consider low end PCs?
One thing is to criticizethe right things, a different history is to fall in fallacies or wrong comparisons.

First thing first, "the most successful games" the kind you have in mind sell in a few weeks what SCS took 8 years to sell. Just that alone (and the associated budget responsible of it) makes the two kind of games to play in completely different leagues. They have in common just they are videogames, nothing more. Would you compare ETS2 with Tetris? Don't ya, right? Then, that's the same.

Second, a NEW game in general doesn't care at all about potato-PC players. But SCS doesn't care for them neither. SCS cares for those who already are their customers, to retain them. SCS hasn't survived releasing the next consume-forget-trash blockbuster game every year; SCS has survived having a long-term loyal customer. You can't just throw shit at that people. What it cannot be either is that people are the responsible to hold back the game for everybody else (like the DX9 that was an anchor for too long). There must be a balance or there must be alternatives; that's we can objectively criticize with the current topic of the texture resolutions.

Rergards
Teraz Kurde My

#19 Post by Teraz Kurde My » 13 Jul 2021 07:14

Paintings are like the sounds of trucks: It's not good. Interestingly, the ATS paint quality is better than the ETS 2, but it is not good either. An interesting option would be to choose the quality of the painting (low-ultra) in the graphic options, it is sad to see that the paints have visible pixels, this forces me to use uniform paints.
World of Trucks: https://worldoftrucks.com/en/profile/4534606

I use google translator
Polarlicht

#20 Post by Polarlicht » 17 Jul 2021 12:13

Noticed the ATS potato skin for the T680 is a little bit better in quality, and the trailer skin is really good.

Return to “General discussion about the game”