ETS2 1.42 speculation thread

oldmanclippy

Re: ETS2 1.42 speculation thread

#211 Post by oldmanclippy » 22 Sep 2021 22:36

@Some newbie driver It all depends on how long SCS has been working on it. We don't really have any hints as far as I know besides "we want to do it at some point".
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
Some newbie driver

#212 Post by Some newbie driver » 23 Sep 2021 10:15

@oldmanclippy no, it doesn't depend on what you say. I bet you that SCS has not worked on the DX12 change so far (worked in the sense to code anything; it's more than probable that they had been exploring strategies, necessities and ways to do the change).

It depends in the fact that, with the rest of the actual prism3D engine state, to change to DX12 would be useless because it will not allow the game any real benefit and lots of problems for SCS. To leverage DX12 potential SCS needs to get rid of the mostly-mono-core current architecture. The change in how they managed AI drivers and background file operations (like loging) was the first big step. DX11 change was the second, FMOD the third. In all those cases, SCS had been moving parts of the execution towards others cores; so not only have they optimized the code but leveraged more of our computers capabilities. If you read carefully what they explained with lighting changes you will see they explain they did lots of other changes we still don't see because they still can be leveraged (like the internal render working native real HDR).

They are doing tons of changes in the background that can't be still used but are preparatory for the future. It's best to do those changes now to not have to change twice those core parts of the game; but that means we can't see the outcome of probably half the work they are really doing. And they need to do more things, NOTABLE things of that same nature to complete the whole process towards multi-core. Then, and only then, would had sense they start to thing in DX12 change (maybe Vulkan support too).

I'm being pretty generic, because of course I don't know the exact innards of their code. But in general terms we can be pretty sure about that I said. Lighting for example still lacks two big areas that will require a lot of work to be done (and that are the root cause of the wrong illumination we see on tunnels among others). So, we will have plenty of info about when we can really guess DX12 could arrive into the game.

Regards
oldmanclippy

#213 Post by oldmanclippy » 23 Sep 2021 14:40

@Some newbie driver I don't disagree with anything you say, but I think what you are missing is that there is no guarantee that SCS would implement all those necessary prerequisite updates to their code into a public branch before making the leap to DX12/Vulcan. It could be all the same effort, if they think that those intermediate changes don't enhance the player experience significantly enough without a more advanced graphics API, then there's nothing stopping them from doing all their testing in-house for those things and keeping them in non-public branches of the code. What I mean is that they might be working on multicore improvements, more lighting improvements, etc but they might not release them publicly until they've upgraded to a more modern graphics API if they think what we have currently in-game is sufficient to keep fans happy for now. It's not IMO, but they might have made the calculation that it is.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
Some newbie driver

#214 Post by Some newbie driver » 23 Sep 2021 15:06

I'm not missing that; but what you say is, plain and simple, not possible for SCS. That's a live game, in active development. All the content of the game is related to the current state of the art of their technology layers underneath.

Remember they HAD to do the DX11 change because the assets on the next DLC was already being made in a way they MUST require DX11 to be the API used or they would had not worked at all. And most of the details that forced that change we will not see it until they changed the lightning just at the start of this year; take that for granted. And even doing so, they had to do more changes to all those assets with the lighting change. All the changes in the code they are doing had to be gradually put in place; not just because this way they can keep upgrading steadily and avoiding bigger bugs and problems; but because the content they keep releasing in parallel demands them so.

The alternative is to completely freeze the technological evolution of that content we see to not have to link it to the code changes; but that means that once the code changes would be made all of a sudden either we will not notice them anyway or tons of assets should had to be intensively reworked (like the delay in Iberia that 1.41 lighting caused... but still bigger). Not the best way to work for SCS. The other alternative would be those changes to be developed for a completely separated new game (ETS3/ATS2); and we both know that's not going to happen in lots of years if ever.

They will keep doing big changes on big updates and arrived some point they will be able to do the full multi-core jump. There's the possibility that this arrives together with DX12 or separately (the API change later). But whatever, their arrive is going to take longer and will not be a surprise at all because we will be teased way before.That's not a machinery DLC that they can tease in twitter one day and release it just a few weeks later. Major code changes have huge effects on the player base by several reasons and they know they have to keep us informed. Not to mention that the beta period of such update could break all the previous records on duration.

Regards
oldmanclippy

#215 Post by oldmanclippy » 23 Sep 2021 15:19

You are almost certainly right, I'm just saying that if they get to the point (we are probably not there yet) where the remaining pre-DX12 upgrades don't necessitate changes in assets, mapping techniques, AI design, etc, then those would be upgrades they could hold onto until DX12. Improved AA, for example, probably wouldn't change the way SCS develops their assets (one look at power lines is all you need to know that they don't currently take the limitations into account, they are developing these assets based on the fact that someday their AA will be better). But further lighting changes probably will impact assets and the way other departments do things at SCS, so you're right those changes would have to be released as they are completed as to not halt production waiting for everything to be finalized. But smaller changes that don't impact decision making across mapping, asset creation, design, etc could be developed on a separate branch and merged into the main branch when it is ready. Maybe that's not how SCS does things, but it would be possible if the changes they are holding back don't impact how the main branch is being developed right now and for the future.

What I am saying is probably all theoretical and SCS is probably proceeding as you describe, I am just pointing out the possibility.
Marcello Julio

#216 Post by Marcello Julio » 24 Sep 2021 18:42

https://blog.scssoft.com/2021/09/new-iberian-roads.html
So, in the list of the things that will be added on 1.42 update on ETS2 we have so far:
• Lyon Rework
• Two new cities and roads in Iberia DLC.
Trucker Nik

#217 Post by Trucker Nik » 24 Sep 2021 19:20

@Marcello Julio You forgot about reskin Austria
I'm guessing that the update of open beta 1.42 will be released, October 15 (Friday) for both games or for ETS2, if the second option was fulfilled, so for ATS the update could come out a week later
Marcello Julio

#218 Post by Marcello Julio » 24 Sep 2021 22:08

@Ceco Austria Reskin has so far not confirmed 100% that it will come on 1.42, so far, just speculation.
Some newbie driver

#219 Post by Some newbie driver » 24 Sep 2021 22:15

You are wrong Marcello Julio.

Austria has got the same timeline/update confirmation than Lyon and the Iberia roads: none

It's only us who are guessing all three could come with 1.42; essentially due SCS trend in last times to only release that kind of teases when things are mostly done and ready to roll.

Regards
IvanKuz

#220 Post by IvanKuz » 25 Sep 2021 00:05

It's true that none of this has been explicitly or implicitly confirmed for 1.42. However, these new Iberian roads are being done by new recruits, while Lyon is being done by MandelSoft, so I'm assuming (or at least hoping) that the rework team has been able to work on Austria uninterrupted ever since Germany rework Phase 3 arrived. Austria is much smaller than Germany, and has "only" 6 cities to work on, so, ideally, it should be finished fairly soon.

All in all, there is a very good chance that all three will come with 1.42. But yeah, there are no guarantees.

Return to “General discussion about the game”