Is the Satnav reliable? (Route advisor?)

cliff60

Re: Is the Satnav reliable? (Route advisor?)

#11 Post by cliff60 » 09 Aug 2021 16:01

IRL satnavs r unreliable lol. they dont always take the best route. they have been know to take u the wrong way along 1 way systems.

when i was a taxi driver i never used satnavs cause they took the longest route rather than the shortest route. IE another driver made a bet he could get to a customer faster than me with him using satnav and me using my trusted map. i beat him by 20 mins and my fare was half his. another long distance trip with my map reading skills i knocked 200 miles off the trip the online route planner advised.

Doing trips to gatwick airport my route was 80 miles. satnav route was 170 miles. satnav route was 15 mins faster due to being 70MPH speed limits all the way but used a lot more fuel. my route was mostly 50MPH limits with traffic lights and roundabouts.

Ive had it in the game where the sav nav has got nasty with me cause i didnt turn where it wanted me to turn but no turn where it wanted me to turn lol. voice nav can be fun when it gets frustrated when u dont turn when it tells u too lol. like in wales it says turn right then turn left. but no left turn after u turn right. or a ferry port where it tells u to turn right but u cant cause its a fence lol.
Wakou22

#12 Post by Wakou22 » 10 Aug 2021 09:38

Thanks for this @Reignman Do you know which mod you use, or can this be done by editing a file?
Reignman

#13 Post by Reignman » 13 Aug 2021 18:39

Wakou22 wrote: 10 Aug 2021 09:38Thanks for this @Reignman Do you know which mod you use, or can this be done by editing a file?
Are you familiar with extracting game files? You extract the contents of the def.scs file, which contains most of the in-game settings. In there there's a file called economy_data.sii. Copy that file to your mods folder. Then edit the copy with any text editor. Look for the line ...

Code: Select all

simulation_avg_speed: 62.0	# km/h
Change it to 31.0 (to double job length), and save.

Then create a new folder in your mod folder called "def", and put your modified "economy_data.sii" in that folder because you need to keep the same file structure as the original def/economy_data.sii.

Then zip up the "def" folder into a zip file and name it anything you want. This would be the name of your "mod", so you know what to look for when you activate it in-game like you would any other mod.

If you were in the middle of a job, it probably won't affect that one, or any of the current jobs available in the economy. You either have to reset the economy, or just wait until the economy resets itself over time. Or maybe it does work right away, I can't remember lol.
Wakou22

#14 Post by Wakou22 » 13 Aug 2021 20:10

Thank you!
j7n

#15 Post by j7n » 25 Sep 2021 17:58

The navi in recent versions has greatly improved. Now it never suggests to make a U-turn after going a wrong way, but prefers a new route straight ahead. It also seems to be aware of speed limits. I don't know how it is implemented, but I asked for road segment difficulty a long time ago. However, on rare occasions it still likes to take a zig-zag path around a city block, or directs onto a sliproad in large interchanges.

I do always check the route to avoid tight turns with unusual loads, such as the intersection template that looks like "dp" and has the tight crash barriers. I do not blame the navi for this, because on the route it is a normal right turn. I also try to avoid making left turns on fast motorways with stop signs in the Netherlands, Slovakia and Lille. Sometimes it is not easy or realistic to make an exit out of a depot gate in the direction that the advisor has found. And I choose small roads with difficult loads such as the dumper trailer with 4x2 chassis.

The game seems to prefer ferries whenever they are an option. I can choose to drive around, but the payment is still reduced as if the ferry was taken. At the beginning of a career the ferry time gives no money, but still advances time for loan installments. Since the addition of Scandinavia there are way too many ferry routes.
De_Ruyter

#16 Post by De_Ruyter » 04 Oct 2021 19:44

Wakou22 wrote: 19 Jul 2021 12:36 Hi folks. I was wondering, do you always check the route before setting off? I was once a "Euro Trucker" IRL, and on a number of occasions, the Sat-Nav seems to me to be just plain WRONG!
I realise that not every real-life road is in the game.

Yesterday, I took a 'heavy' job from Linkoping (Se) to Katowice (Pl) A 60 tonne locomotive. I was expecting the job to have a long ferry crossing (to Gdansk/Gdynia) to give me a rest break and accomplish the job possibly in a day/rest-on-ferry/day cycle. I was approaching red on the restometer (tm) thinking "I must be getting near that ferry....."
I pulled over and checked...
I had been routed via Malmo, Copenhagen, Rostok, and Berlin! (inc a short ferry and toll bridges etc)
IRL this would be madness! The trip would take longer and cost more because of driver rest hours etc... (especially with a "Convoi Exceptionel") ?

(Is it actually possible to navigate using just signposts, old school!!!!????)
It's fairly reliable. For heavy jobs you can't really change the routes which is not always the best thing to have. But I'd suggest for any other jobs to make sure you take the route YOU want and with that add map markers so you can follow the route you wish to take. Best way to explore the map and enjoy what SCS created for us. I do wish there was a option to see where bridges were and whether you can pass with your current cargo or not. For extra wide/tall loads this might be a absolute must have. Also for whether there are special road conditions so you can prepare for that or go around if needed.

Return to “General discussion about the game”