Impossible jobs?

Wakou22

Impossible jobs?

#1 Post by Wakou22 » 22 Jul 2021 17:11

So, I had recently completed a job, (own trailer), and had fuelled up, repaired and rested. I had a look to see what was available on the "Freight Market"...
I had recently bought a new garage and equipped it with trucks, trailers and drivers, and had spent all my 'savings'!
So first on the list...
"Helsinki-Istanbul, Vaccines, €70.xxc /Km... €202,000 !!!"
"That'll do me!" I thought. Get in! Epic voyage! My biggest ever!
A quick-journey to Helsinki, check job is avail. Yes! Over to the airport, 1h30ish away.
There is a hotel next door, but I had only driven 1h30 so, let's do this!
A 'day' later I am 700-ish Km in. There is NO WAY I can complete this job on time!
The route takes you through Helsinki centre, and then across Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland etc.
Not fast roads, and filthy weather too! And Bulgaria, Romania and Turkey still to come!
Are there jobs which are impossible to complete, legally and on time?
Wolfi
Beta tester

Re: Impossible jobs?

#2 Post by Wolfi » 22 Jul 2021 17:31

No. In vanilla game every job you can take is calculated in a way that makes it fully possible to accomplish in time, legally, etc.
The smallest details always make the biggest difference.
xyzan

#3 Post by xyzan » 22 Jul 2021 19:10

Not always. I've encountered jobs from Poland to Hungary that had around 600km, and it was not enough to do it in one shift. I had to rest and it I was delayed. However, i was missing no more than 2h of driving, not 10h (700-800km).
There may be a problem with urgent jobs as well, as they usually have tight schedule. So, driving slower than on motorways, which is quite simple in this region, can cause some delays as well.
Wakou22

#4 Post by Wakou22 » 22 Jul 2021 21:58

Soulsd I abandon it now? (penalty €12,000) or carry on? ("late" fines will be huge!).
MrAbner

#5 Post by MrAbner » 23 Jul 2021 04:05

Near as I have noticed, you can get penalties only up to the amount the job would have paid anyway. So at worst you will get €0. Except for money spent on fuel and maintenance, you will not have to pay any fines, you just don't earn any money. I've been late on a few jobs, but I have yet to abandon one.
xyzan

#6 Post by xyzan » 23 Jul 2021 06:52

Because earnings in game are so big, I don't care if I'm late or not. I can compensate my losses with earnings.
Some newbie driver

#7 Post by Some newbie driver » 23 Jul 2021 06:53

The route advisor calculates the travel time taking the max speed of every different stretch of road in the route. Then it considers that our average speed is going to be about 80% of that max speed. And then adds around 1, 2 or 4 extra hours to the time depending if it's an urgent, important or regular job (that's our safety margin).

Problems arrive when we are facing lots of speed changes (traffic lights, road junctions, highway off-ramps, towns...), specially if we are driving a truck with a low HP regarding the weight of the cargo. The acceleration we will have would be way slower thus very hard to keep the average speed. And the longer the job, the more time to loose that cushion of extra time (1,2,4 hours) we got; because it's always the same. Also there's times (specially old maps) where some road stretches of road have an absurd max speed that no way we can reach driving through it; so, in those places one loses A LOT of time regarding the job limit. For example, some 270º off-ramps turns in cloverleaf highway interchanges in Sweeden are rated at 80km/h; while with realistic physic values we can barely reach 40km/h.

Also in the regular game mode, non WoTr, one can also face the final surprise of a road block event that will add lots of extra time to our trip; if one plays with that option active.

Drive slightly over the max speed (up to 5km/h) helps to gain some of the lost time while avoiding fines. And in some cases, one can leverage ferries to gain extra time instead of following the route proposed by route advisor.

Regards
Wakou22

#8 Post by Wakou22 » 23 Jul 2021 07:49

I suppose I could load an older "save", take the 9 hour break before loading, and hope that the weather is better, and drive like a lunatic?
plykkegaard

#9 Post by plykkegaard » 23 Jul 2021 08:34

I've been on jobs like Helsinki to Instanbul, imo there's plenty of time
If in doubt you can disable sleeping, but you should be ok any way

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Steve Pitts

#10 Post by Steve Pitts » 23 Jul 2021 15:38

Since the game kindly factors in your need to sleep and gives a decent time buffer (although Urgent jobs are quite tight) I don't see how it is possible to be late for a job on an umodded ETS2, even on routes that don't involve much in the way of motorway. The only times that I've been late in game have involved me fiddling around 'off piste' for reasons of discovery, and I drive to the speed limits with the limiter on at all times. Shame that you didn't take a screenshot of the 'Take Job' screen as that might have told us a little more.
Cheers, Steve

Return to “General discussion about the game”