Is there a way to "hack" players available to play on your server?

Bonne_Swe

Is there a way to "hack" players available to play on your server?

#1 Post by Bonne_Swe » 24 Jul 2021 17:14

Hello.

For first time since convoy came out in beta as main, I meet the limit of 8 players on my server due to only friends. And now we're even more, so I'd like to ask:

Has anyone tried playing around with the files to see if they find the code they might change the playeramount on your server?

I got the extractor and searched through base.scs but couldn't find anything. I know SCS does not wanna support more people right now, and I fully respect they do not wanna leave any guarantees above it. But I'm willing to try it out, for its bad and goods without complain ( maybe questions for incoming problems and therefore move the discussion somewhat forward ).

So, do anyone know how to raise the limit? Is it possible?

Sorry if the question is not allowed, I kinda see the discussion as "modding" since I wanna aftermarket change something to fit me more. I fully understand the consequenses of doing such and that SCS can't leave any guarantees and are not responsible for the actions of the game after I change it.

Regards, Bonne_Swe.

P.S: No, I rather play around and learn, rather than have to choose which friends to play with. So please, save me the unnecessary reading if you're not willing to add to the discussion. Thanks.
Some newbie driver

Re: Is there a way to "hack" players available to play on your server?

#2 Post by Some newbie driver » 24 Jul 2021 21:25

Fiddling .scs files you are going to achieve nothing. .scs files store content (models, textures, objects definitions...) and the 8 player cap is a value fixed in the code of the executable game. You had to do reverse engineering (the one of the kind truckers MP has to do to create heir version of the game), modifying the code and then re-compiling it to make something it could work(and trying not to break anything else in the process).

Don't even consider it; because if you didn't figured it already and came here to ask means you don't have the skills and knowledge necessary (and it's not a pun, there aren't so many people out there with those skills).

You will have to wait SCS to change that limit. like everyone else.

Regards
Bonne_Swe

#3 Post by Bonne_Swe » 31 Jul 2021 19:01

Some newbie driver wrote: 24 Jul 2021 21:25 Don't even consider it; because if you didn't figured it already and came here to ask means you don't have the skills and knowledge necessary (and it's not a pun, there aren't so many people out there with those skills)
What is this for kind of a dumb reply? "Dont do stuff you can't". How hard is it to restart/reinstall or even do a backup before fixing something within IT? And ontop of that, of course you should bother with stuff you dont know, how would you otherwise learn stuff... I didn't know anything about save-editing for a year ago and now I build trailers as far as I want, with accessories I wouldn't have otherwise, both trailer and truck. Change codes to make the game fit me, and ontop of that, even works in convoy. Hell, I even do modding and mapbuilding I knew nothing about for a year ago, and now I build and enhance my experience in SP, which is gonna be a great addition when MP allows it.

If people listened to you, no one would know anything. And I bet you have gone around asking around, but I hope you don't. That's stupid if you wanna learn and discuss from/with others.

Why even bother answering? Why am I even replying to this stupidity, unbelievable a waste of time and data.
____

Anyone else given this subject a thought and taken a look? I have been going through and can't find anything obvious so far. But I'm not giving up no matter what downies like above say. I like to learn, some don't.
xXCARL1992Xx

#4 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 31 Jul 2021 19:14

your little adventure with def editing/save editing and blender is nothing compared to reverse engineering a game just to change 1 variable that you have to find like a needle in a haystack as big as the empire state building
dont even bother, if people dont even have the basic knowledge in programming language you have no hope to find anything in uncompiled code with commentary, finding someing in compiled code that was reverse engineering and has no comments from the devs at all ? you are better of waiting for SCS to change this

also, even if you changed it for you doesnt mean it works, other people would also need this exact hacked .exe to play with you and then comes also that with every update you have to do it from 0 again, decompile the gamecode if possible and change values or play around with a hex editor on a hit and run mission that can take you ages to even find the right bit

tl;dr you CANT change it and even if you have a lucky shot and by a miracle find the right bit you would have to give out the .exe to other people and this is illegal (the reverse engineering as is is also already illegal)
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Some newbie driver

#5 Post by Some newbie driver » 31 Jul 2021 20:47

Bonne_Swe wrote: 31 Jul 2021 19:01What is this for kind of a dumb reply? "Dont do stuff you can't".
I'm going to try to answer you calmly, instead of using more appropriate words Now listen, and you maybe will learn something:

People need YEARS of training before achieve what you pretend. YEARS. And I'm talking about people that already have the knowledge about what they want to do and how they have to do it (I've that base and I'm not even trying to start to reverse engineer the mine-sweeper .exe). Those people are an absolute minority among those who dedicate their lives to IT. You are not asking for a knowledge that somebody achieves just for fun in their spare time. You have to live for it to reach that point. That has nothing in common with changing a few values on a perfect readable plain text file or to fiddle with a 3D modeling software; that are what does 99% of people that create mods.

So, I repeat, you have no base knowledge about what you are asking for (otherwise, as I said, you wouldn't had asked at all) and that's why I suggested you to don't bother. Not because it has no sense that you learn something (as you say in your out of place rant). I said it because what you are asking is the equivalent of "I want to start learning architecture by building the Empire State". It has no sense, it's going to take you nowhere and specially not in the time period you pretend. Way before you would had been able to do what you want; either somebody really skilled would already done it or SCS would already increased several times the MP player limit (as they already said they want to).

But whatever will happen sooner, it will not happen NOW, neither, next week, next month or even next update (there's a possibility for 1.42; but we can't have it granted). So I gave you the best advise you could receive, no matter if you like it or not: Save your time and have patience. And if you don't have the second, play TMP in the meantime, where you will be able to gather as many friends as you want.

Regards

PS: BTW; talking of TMP; what you ask for is what it was necessary to create TMP. How many more "alternative" SCS games have you seen out there after so many years? None, right? Do you thing that if it would be something easily achievable Internet wouldn't be full of alternative games with tons of the changes players wants in the game? No others like TMP exist because people like its programmer are an absolute rarity.
plykkegaard

#6 Post by plykkegaard » 31 Jul 2021 22:21

Some newbie driver wrote: 31 Jul 2021 20:47 People need YEARS of training before achieve what you pretend.
Please, players / modders changed hex valus in game files to create the first mods
I assume they did have a general idea what they were doing but at the risk of making the modded game unplayable
Back in the 70 ties and 80ties noone had for two cents training, only learning by doing

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Some newbie driver

#7 Post by Some newbie driver » 01 Aug 2021 00:29

I expect you don't pretend to say that people changed hex values randomly too see what happens, right? They know what they do and to know it wasn't a think of a week precisely.

And yes, back in the 70s and 80s one learnt by fiddling (like actually, without all the info we have at our disposal to save us time fiddling). Helped A LOT the very fact that executable had a few KB and they were almost self-contained. ETS2 has actually over 21MB the .exe alone, without counting all the external libraries it's going to mount and the way more complex OS calls that are done today). Do he want to learn reverse engineering? Then he should start with learning programming, then jump to reverse engineer the Win95 mine-sweeper and maybe some day he well be able to do the same on ETS2. So yes, my analogy keeps the same: if he would want to learn architecture, he would start building a shed for the garden, not the Empire State.

But as what he wants is to play NOW with his 8+ friends; all that milker's tale is useless, because he's not going to achieve all those steps in the time it's going to take SCS to give us more slots on the session. It's not a question of possibility, it's not a question about if he should or not try. It's a question about not wasting time rushing something that doesn't allow rushes to be done properly.

Do anybody else know how to do it? Sure there's some people (granted the one on TMP knows it). Is there need to ask for it here? Well, 2 options in case that hack would already exist: Either this forum will be on fire with tons of people talking about it and sharing the info; either it would be considered something breaking the forum rules and all the messages about it deleted. I don't see none of those happening. So, what it's left? What I said: let time do its job (aka have patience).

Regards
Bonne_Swe

#8 Post by Bonne_Swe » 01 Aug 2021 01:39

plykkegaard wrote: 31 Jul 2021 22:21
Some newbie driver wrote: 31 Jul 2021 20:47 People need YEARS of training before achieve what you pretend.
Please, players / modders changed hex valus in game files to create the first mods
I assume they did have a general idea what they were doing but at the risk of making the modded game unplayable
Back in the 70 ties and 80ties noone had for two cents training, only learning by doing
I like how "newb" cries about rants but goes on ranting like no one else. But yeah, some people are hungry for more, and thank god for those. They strive for more, no matter what, how big or how long it'll take - they are called pioneers ( i think ) for a reason. And yes, they will ask questions and/or start discussions, even if the answers doesn't exist. They want to save themself some problems if possible, otherwise they'll try themself.

What's the worst, reinstall a game on 10gb or something around that? OMG, what a horrible faith for actually taking the possibilities to learn something new. It's not like you have to buy a new car, space shuttle or even go to the store. Just try it out, and if it crashes, reload. That's the wonderful part of IT. A backup which takes seconds, can give you a possibility to change no matter what, how much etc, and find out if it works or not. If you are prepared to hit the brickwall many times enough, you will make a hole in it.

Nah, once again, thank you all who tries no matter how negative some people are. Keep fighting on, otherwise we wouldn't be near to where we are today. Some people makes the path, and most walk in it. Unfortunately those who walk in it, doesn't appriciate those who created the path, it's a pain in the butt to be first, but you can be sure people will happily walk in your success and forgot your hard steps you had to endure to make it.
Bonne_Swe

#9 Post by Bonne_Swe » 01 Aug 2021 01:55

xXCARL1992Xx wrote: 31 Jul 2021 19:14 your little adventure with def editing/save editing and blender is nothing compared to reverse engineering a game just to change 1 variable that you have to find like a needle in a haystack as big as the empire state building
dont even bother, if people dont even have the basic knowledge in programming language you have no hope to find anything in uncompiled code with commentary, finding someing in compiled code that was reverse engineering and has no comments from the devs at all ? you are better of waiting for SCS to change this

also, even if you changed it for you doesnt mean it works, other people would also need this exact hacked .exe to play with you and then comes also that with every update you have to do it from 0 again, decompile the gamecode if possible and change values or play around with a hex editor on a hit and run mission that can take you ages to even find the right bit

tl;dr you CANT change it and even if you have a lucky shot and by a miracle find the right bit you would have to give out the .exe to other people and this is illegal (the reverse engineering as is is also already illegal)
1. I like a challenge.

2. Who says I need to do this for every update? And if I suceed the first time, what says I cant suceed second time? I can do it for now, lock my version and wait for an update that suits me. I have a community of 40 peps, and I could easily get them "on the same page" to play on a community driven server.

3. If "hacking" the exe file to make the game into my fitting, why isn't TMP brought to court yet? That's cuz they are not allowed to take payments for it. I wont either, I'd be happy to invite my friends only, hell, I'd even sign a paper with SCS for that too. I'm allowed to mod, change and play around with the files, as long as I dont make money from it. In short atleast.

Otherwise there are many reason for SCS out there to just live on suing people to right and left. Why even bother with DLC's, updates etc, when they can live on people modifying their game?
xXCARL1992Xx

#10 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 01 Aug 2021 07:39

1. then star doing it but here nobody can help you, no one has the extensive knowledge to hack the game to a point to find a single bit for certain and i be even if someone knows it they wouldnt bother explaining it because it is to complex

2. yes you do because the .exe changes every time with an update, a sigle bit is enough to change and your .exe isnt compatible anymore, the moment the next DLC is out your .exe is obsolet and you have to do it all again

3. the reverse engineering part is most of the time not enforced but distributing the .exe is still illegal and last time i check TMP doesnt do it, they have their own .exe with wich they temper the game by injecting code into it

the time a peson needs, without extensive knowledge in programing, to do is is wasted time, just wait for SCS to change it
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]

Return to “General discussion about the game”