"Flashing-in"

Wakou22

"Flashing-in"

#1 Post by Wakou22 » 27 Jul 2021 10:40

"Flashing in"
I am an ex- 'real-life' euro-trucker.
There is a convention that, when being overtaken by another long vehicle, ("elephant-race") one "flashes-in" the overtaking vehicle, to let him know that it is safe for him to pull back in to the 'slow' lane, and that you are ready and expecting him to do so.
(I don't know if this is the case in USA)
Also, when one sees a truck on a slip-lane entering a motorway/highway etc, one pulls over to the next lane, and flashes the vehicle to let him know that he can proceed without having to decelerate etc. (IYSWIM?)
I doubt that this convention has ever prevented an accident. But driving can be a lonely job, and this little thing helps to give a sense of community among drivers!
When I first started playing ETS2, I was very disappointed that this was not a feature.
It is very much on my "wish-list" for ETS2!
Underscore_101_

Re: "Flashing-in"

#2 Post by Underscore_101_ » 27 Jul 2021 11:06

I'd love to see that added, sometimes do it in game though I know it makes no difference, and changing lanes to give space, but also to prevent an in game accident :-)
You could add to that trucks coming from the opposite direction flash their lights when you're like 100 mtr from a (mobile) speed camera,.... do we have mobile speed cameras in game?!?

But my guess is that all of that is illegal irl and SCS won't implement something like that because of it...
Wakou22

#3 Post by Wakou22 » 27 Jul 2021 11:52

I do it too! Can't help it, old habits die hard. And if I had an indicator-stalk, I would do that thing "left-right-left" (or a quick switch on the hazards) to say thank you! :D
(Alstublieft, Dank je wel, mijnheer!) :D
Turd Ferguson

#4 Post by Turd Ferguson » 01 Aug 2021 07:56

I know it makes no difference to whether the AI pulls in or not but I do this too 😁. I flash vehicles that stop to let me out at junctions..... While playing in VR i've even instinctively thank you waived at the driver of a truck who let me turn left 🤣.
Would be great if SCS could implement the flashing in part though
Oh hell, let's go nuts. Swords for forty eight thousand

https://www.worldoftrucks.com/en/profile/401
plykkegaard

#5 Post by plykkegaard » 01 Aug 2021 07:59

Typical the AI will reduce speed and fall back in case you overtake
Due to recent changes in lighting system the flash-in is not visible

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
David Paterson

#6 Post by David Paterson » 05 Aug 2021 05:49

Not only Europe, but in Australia too, RL truckies flash to let the overtaker know it is clear to pull in and left-right-let to say thank you.
weejohn67

#7 Post by weejohn67 » 05 Aug 2021 05:58

yep,still do it, old habit from my days as a euro/domestic trucker :)
Sorry English is my 1st language , i am just bad at spellin :D

WOT https://www.worldoftrucks.com/en/profile/18729
EricF

#8 Post by EricF » 07 Aug 2021 02:16

Traditionally, truckers in the USA did this too, and many still do. It's not taught to new drivers in training courses, and sometimes actively discouraged. ("You can't be completely sure it's clear, and might influence the other driver to move when it's not really safe...") Long-time pros know the road and how other drivers inevitably behave, though. I'll flash-in other drivers in my personal pickup truck. :D
System Specs for Beta and performance comparisons:
Ryzen 9 5900x - 32GB RAM - NVMe SSD - RTX2080 Super - 3440x1440 Ultrawide - TrackIR - T248 Wheel/Pedals

Return to “General discussion about the game”