Guessing the Western Balkans DLC content

P3TER_

Re: Guessing the Western Balkans DLC content

#11 Post by P3TER_ » 17 Aug 2021 21:15

Thanks for your input.

That bridge isn't very practical to drive with trucks I see :D

Adding both Trieste and Koper isn't something I would consider a realistic option for SCS like you said, although we've seen Iberia have Faro-Olhão and Lissabon-Setúbal as well, which aren't (much) further apart from eachother than Trieste-Koper.

Osijek and Subotica aren't all that close to eachother, but Szeged and Pecs are too much in proximity. Iirc, SCS has been not all that positive about the 4 Ruhr cities after they added them. I therefore took Sombor, as it isn't too close to any other cities, but I haven't looked into it really much. Sombor is, as many other cities, a bit like a placeholder and needs more research/thinking before the area is representative.

The Serbia - Romania connection can be done by connecting the Nis area to Craiova and the Belgrade/Novi Sad area to Resita instead of Timisoara, which immediately makes Resita a more important place to be. This would still result in some sort of map gap, but not all gaps can be avoided.

Doboj has important road connections, but doesn't really fit well in a map with Banja Luka, which is too important to leave out. It could be added, but than as a small city and it would still intersect a little with Slavonski Brod or Tuzla, whereof one of them can't be left out I think.
IvanKuz

#12 Post by IvanKuz » 17 Aug 2021 23:30

P3TER_ wrote: 17 Aug 2021 21:15 Osijek and Subotica aren't all that close to eachother, but Szeged and Pecs are too much in proximity. Iirc, SCS has been not all that positive about the 4 Ruhr cities after they added them. I therefore took Sombor, as it isn't too close to any other cities, but I haven't looked into it really much. Sombor is, as many other cities, a bit like a placeholder and needs more research/thinking before the area is representative.
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that Osijek and Subotica are too close to each other, but rather that they are too close to Pécs and Szeged respectively. Although, I think Subotica is actually in a much better position since it can be just a single road leading from E75 right to the industrial area on the outskirts, so it can be made pretty compact as there would be no need to map out a vast urban area.
I guess Osijek can be rather compact too if you just bypass the city and map the industrial area on the other side like in my map, but the problem is that the city, or rather the roads leading to it, would have to be crammed between E70 and Hungary's M60, which could be a bit tricky (especially if E70 is shifted slightly to the north in order to give connections to Bosnia and Herzegovina some breathing space).
Sombor I don't really see as a realistic option, you'd have to go through a labyrinth of small roads and scenic towns in order to reach it (one of them likely being Subotica anyway).
P3TER_ wrote: 17 Aug 2021 21:15The Serbia - Romania connection can be done by connecting the Nis area to Craiova and the Belgrade/Novi Sad area to Resita instead of Timisoara, which immediately makes Resita a more important place to be.
Reșița is arguably even worse for connections that Timișoara. It is likewise way too close to the border already, but is also surrounded by mountains. So if you start mapping roads out of Reșița, by the time you get to the border crossings you'll be deep into Serbia already. There also aren't really any suitable existing intersections in the city to connect these roads to, from what I remember.
P3TER_ wrote: 17 Aug 2021 21:15Doboj has important road connections, but doesn't really fit well in a map with Banja Luka, which is too important to leave out. It could be added, but than as a small city and it would still intersect a little with Slavonski Brod or Tuzla, whereof one of them can't be left out I think.
I don't see Doboj being excluded, even if insignificant by itself it still has important road connections, like you say. Can't really have Tuzla without it. But I can imagine it being downgraded to just a scenic town.
P3TER_

#13 Post by P3TER_ » 18 Aug 2021 09:24

Adding only Subotica's industrial area is indeed a possibility, because that would allow for a road length of about 55-60 km and a border control, so it doesn't feel too close.
Sombor is hard to reach without making the killing the realism of the E-662 or 12 so I think we can exclude that one.

Resita was more like a suggestion, because I didn't have time to look into it. I now think they'll either do the E-70 Vrsac - Timisoara or they won't make a connection in that region and we'll be off with a hole in the map.

Doboj as a scenic town/village is definitely feasible. I was talking about cities with companies, but should've been more clear.
IvanKuz

#14 Post by IvanKuz » 18 Aug 2021 18:50

P3TER_ wrote: 18 Aug 2021 09:24I now think they'll either do the E-70 Vrsac - Timisoara
I absolutely wouldn't count on it. If you follow the allowed route for trucks in Timișoara, they have to go a long way around the urban area in order to get from the parts present in the game to E-70 on the south, similar to how Plovdiv is made in the game. Even if significantly reduced for the game, this would easily double the size of Timișoara in the game, which is already practically on Serbia's border. At this rate the border crossing near Vršac is going to be right on Belgrade's doorstep, if not in Belgrade. There is a reason why I had to go with the Jimbolia border crossing instead, it's probably why ProMods did so as well.

Honestly, SCS kind of shot themselves in the foot with how RTTBS is mapped in regards to potential future DLCs. Timișoara and Reșița are way to close to Serbia's border, Pernik is way to close to North Macedonia's. They haven't really left any suitable intersections with blocked roads leading to Ukraine or Moldova either.
P3TER_

#15 Post by P3TER_ » 18 Aug 2021 20:42

Wow, you're right, it will be hard to get everything in the map, because Timisoara doesn't seem to have a well working ring road which could make things easier. Even the Jimbolia border crossing makes Timisoara a bit larger than it already is, but if Promods use it too, it must be (close to) the best option there is.

Man, this DLC must be hard for SCS if we are already having a hard time planning some border roads. :shock:
Trucker Nik

#16 Post by Trucker Nik » 20 Aug 2021 13:14

We can start a debate about the possible names of DLC, i would suggest the name Along the Adriatic sea
Adriatic Sea Team

#17 Post by Adriatic Sea Team » 21 Aug 2021 15:30

I think that Western Balkans is next after Heart of Russia, it seems logical because after Beyond the Adriatic Sea, Road to the Black Sea has been released. Following this pattern, we will have completed the Russian part of the map (a big part) and finished the Balkans, with Greece possibly excluded.
P3TER_

#18 Post by P3TER_ » 21 Aug 2021 15:55

I second the idea of SCS doing the Western Balkans DLC after HoR. I don't see why they would exclude Greece though, as it is too small for a separate DLC (as DLC's get larger and larger) and it can't be put into another DLC like Belarus which could've been put into either a HoR DLC and a Belarus/Ukraine DLC.
JolliciousJosh

#19 Post by JolliciousJosh » 22 Aug 2021 06:34

Here's my glimpse of possible roads to the Western Balkans.

First up, is Portile de Fier I/Iron Gate I (in Romania), which is several kilometers away from Craiova, and sits on on the side of the Danube River (that is facing the mountains of Serbia). There, it might have roads hidden when Western Balkans DLC assumed to be released in the future .

Going Belgrade from Bucharest/Craiova will bring you to Iron Gates I on the route 6A/by means of barge.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

When the vehicle reaches Novi Sip, Serbia from crossing Iron Gates I on the Romanian side, border checkpoint awaits.
Adriatic Sea Team

#20 Post by Adriatic Sea Team » 22 Aug 2021 08:07

@P3TER_ If SCS decides to include Greece and Albania with the former republics of Yugoslavia. I think that's too much content for one DLC but the size of it would be like half of Iberia. Most of the assets are already in-game so that would take less time for assets developers. I would really like to see the whole Balkan peninsula in 2022.

Return to “General discussion about the game”