Dear SCS... about those sounds...

Caribear

Dear SCS... about those sounds...

#1 Post by Caribear » 02 Sep 2021 19:36

... I really really love your games and it is obvious how committed you are to better it constantly. I will keep on buying all the DLCs you release cause I believe in you. HOWEVER, there is one thing that completely baffles me. Last year you updated the sound to FMOD and yes, it is awesome, but I fail to understand how you can plod on with the most terrible truck engine sounds imaginable. Surely it cannot be that big a deal to record and FMOD an actual truck, right? A number of modders do this all the time, yet here we are. For the record, I really want to play with convoys, but I am not touching that with a 10 foot bargepole unless I can mod the engine sounds.... or you actually update them to something akin to reality.

Yes, no one is perfect, but this is a seriously glaring stain in my opinion.

Otherwise, awesome job and thanks for all the fish.

~ Cari
mackintosh

Re: Dear SCS... about those sounds...

#2 Post by mackintosh » 03 Sep 2021 10:24

I'm not touching this topic, even with a 40 foot pole.
Etrusan

#3 Post by Etrusan » 03 Sep 2021 14:26

You just did.
Seasonic SSR-650TD; Intel Core i5-6700K; Gainward GTX 1060 6GB Phoenix GS; 2x Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB; 2x Crucial MX500 2TB; 3x Seagate IronWolf Pro; Corsair Force MP510 960GB; 2x 24" AOC I2481FXH; Windows 10

www.etrusan.net
Truckdrivr

#4 Post by Truckdrivr » 03 Sep 2021 15:06

agreeing with OP, although i find SCS vanilla truck sounds more bareable after i went from headphones to a simple 2.0 speaker system (Razor Nomma for the curious), it does need to improve alot. i have always looked at it like this; If a modder like Kreichbaum is able to his prodution as one man in his sparetime then a studio as SCS should be able to reach same level, its not even in their sparetime.

regarding the actual use of F-Mod for this, i am not a technical expert by any means, but that evil devil on my shoulder is telling me that F-mod was implemented more or less to create some marketing and social media interest and be able to put that nice f-mod logo on startup screen and be able to say to people "look its got f-mod". because the difference from before f-mod and now is ability to to open the trucks windows? maybe i am wrong and there is more to it, but my ears dont regonize a difference.
Convoy nametag: Truckdrivr
See you on the road 8-)

My screenshot thread: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=302557
xXCARL1992Xx

#5 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 03 Sep 2021 15:13

you will never be able to gain people just because you have an FMod logo on startup, the same as the nvidia logo back then with GTA SA or any other logo for that matter, the reason to go to FMod is a technical reason because OpenAL is outdated and limited in use, FMod was needed to synchronise exterior and interior sounds to make the windows possible, it was needed to get reverb in tunnels, it was needed to get better effects for the train horn when it passes you (doppler effect), the whole FMod system is so versatile because it is made in FMod API and not ingame OpenAL looks like 1960 software in comparison that can only count 1+1=2
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
room217au

#6 Post by room217au » 04 Sep 2021 00:41

FMOD has truly made it easier to create sound mods. Kriechbaum said it himself. Pitch references (verrrry important) had to be figured out manually before Fmod arrived.
With Fmod it's a simple sliding scale. And you can hear it, in the Fmod application itself, while you're making the sound mod. How much easier do you want it?

On the subject of SCS truck engine sounds, I do think some tweaks would be useful. For example, I use kb/mouse to play - always have, always will - and when I drive trucks with Kriechbaum's sound pack, the rise and fall of RPM is smooth and graceful.
Same truck, same game session, with an SCS engine and the instant I lift the throttle the engine rpm dies like I turned off a light.

I think FMOD is great, and the SCS truck sounds are good, but maybe a little change to the implementation of those sounds IN fmod will improve players' experience dramatically.
After all, the engine sounds SCS use are modern. The modern engines aren't as 'violent' as the old-school ones.
If you suck at playing the trumpet, that's probably why.
Drive Safely

#7 Post by Drive Safely » 04 Sep 2021 01:10

FMOD has truly given me more options for sound modding. So I am very appreciative of it of course. :D

I agree FMOD is great, but the mixing is another aspect that would make an immense difference, as room217au just mentioned.
Leen

#8 Post by Leen » 04 Sep 2021 04:24

Give a noob a really pro photocamera, do you really think the photographs are better with the pro cam and the noob? FMOD is a good sound edit software but when the sound editor has no feeling to make good sounds FMOD will not change it in good sounds. If SCS has a sound editor like Kriechbaum there was no complaining and this trucksimulator has perfect default sounds. The most driving and racing games have a really good FFB, why SCS hasn't a realistic FFB? This game could be perfect if SCS listen to their community, I read this from the beginning of this trucksimulator and nothing happend in al those years.
TheTiger

#9 Post by TheTiger » 12 Sep 2021 07:24

They are working on this... the problem is that they are very very verrrrrrry slow. They promised us better sound mixing once they will return to the office, they promised us a better force feedback but none of these is present yet.
Also, they touched the physics in 1.35 and since then no changes were made. We still have rigid wheels and no ABS and other things. Maybe in version 2.35 the will finish what they started. And who knows, maybe in 2.37 they will mix sound properly. (If you wonder when 2.xx will come out, the answer is in the next 30 years.)
fabristunt

#10 Post by fabristunt » 13 Sep 2021 14:55

The main issue I have with sounds is the utter silence with coasting. It's almost on/off. Some engine sounds also could use a bit of fade-in, they can be quite abrupt. Other then this, the sound isn't that bad.

Return to “General discussion about the game”