32 max players

Some newbie driver

Re: 32 max players

#11 Post by Some newbie driver » 14 Sep 2021 17:46

I doubt a lot that Max is talking about bandwidth, @plykkegaard; any current or past MMO has way more people synchronizing data and if you look their bandwitdh consume is ridiculous (on some of them, even a 56K modem could handle it).

What I'm sure Max would like to see is the latency and I/O performance in such scenarios. If the code isn't ready for those numbers, there's no computer who could tame the beast of the square growth. It could had been worse although; luckily isn't a growth of 2 elevated to the number of players. :lol:
Madkine
Global moderator

#12 Post by Madkine » 15 Sep 2021 00:46

Yes but MMO's aren't peer to peer, they are client server models. Max specifically mentioned the issue is with peer to peer network traffic.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
plykkegaard

#13 Post by plykkegaard » 15 Sep 2021 08:06

Madkine wrote: 15 Sep 2021 00:46 Max specifically mentioned the issue is with peer to peer network traffic.
I wouldn't call it peer to peer as once the host is down the network is down
Yes you can continue driving as a single entity on your own but that's all

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Max
SCS Software

#14 Post by Max » 15 Sep 2021 09:56

every client is yelling at every client - it is p2p .. :D
what you are talking about is session host migration, that is not supported.
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
plykkegaard

#15 Post by plykkegaard » 15 Sep 2021 10:07

Ohh the host is initiating the p2p session?
I assume the host also keep track?

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Some newbie driver

#16 Post by Some newbie driver » 15 Sep 2021 16:53

Madkine wrote: 15 Sep 2021 00:46Yes but MMO's aren't peer to peer, they are client server models. Max specifically mentioned the issue is with peer to peer network traffic.
Regarding bandwidth consumed (that was the metric mentioned by plykkegaard) it's 99% the same. At the end you have to receive information about what's happening from all the objects around you into the game and that's what consume bandwidth. And what I said is that bandwidth will be really negligible (considering all the well known techniques to reduce it to the bare minimum). Latency could be a problem, but will be less relevant than it is on fast paced games (all kind of shooters, fast-driving games...).

Point is that, if it's P2P; the amount of I/O operations grown at square of the number of players (with a server-client it's lineal growth, waaaaaay smaller). I/O is what has to manage the game engine in the CPU and we already have a bottleneck in there. That's why Max said he would be interested into see how it behaves with such amount of people; if the numbers are real.

Like plykkegaard, I thought we were playing on a server-client scenario with the host of the session doing server work. It's not that I did any investigation about the code to be sure; the way it was presented to us the system seemed to suggest so. But as per Max words, it seems a host of a session is acting like P2P download servers: it's the place where we go to ask "who's and where's we are playing with" and later the game talks directly to those other people computers. The difference here (regarding a pure P2P download) is that the server is also part of the later game and also enforces some things (traffic, game time, some game rules.... mods in the future?).

And now, about last Max words, we can start to guess if that "is not supported" about session host migration means "it's still not supported" or "there's no intention to support it at all". Of course, @Max can come here to confirm which option will be to avoid us lots wild guesses (wink, wink). ;)

Regards
Queentruckeruk

#17 Post by Queentruckeruk » 15 Sep 2021 17:25

Mp is not stable at all we get lagging and freezers and strutting. And our trailers and ai trailers shakeing and moving left and right fps drops like hell.

We have 69.9 download & 20 up and ms on both pcs is 7 to 9ms and in game 0 to 2ms.

Single player is fine accept gpu utilization drops in some areas and fps is ok.

And people want more than 8 on mp and mods when is not stable atm
plykkegaard

#18 Post by plykkegaard » 15 Sep 2021 18:10

As usual you do not provide any information at all
Please at least, what is your internet connection, and ping times on the player who connects to the host
If you are some rural area with poor connection it is to be facing these issues

Jacksonshaulage1

#19 Post by Jacksonshaulage1 » 15 Sep 2021 18:12

Nope it happens in uk on motorway and other areas in Europe and our Internet is fine and other mp games fine .
Jacksonshaulage1

#20 Post by Jacksonshaulage1 » 15 Sep 2021 18:13

I told u 14ms for both and host

Return to “General discussion about the game”