Removal of truck mods from either ETS2 or ATS from the opposite game ?

Some newbie driver

Re: Rumors about being forced to remove truck mods from either ETS2 or ATS from the opposite game ?

#11 Post by Some newbie driver » 21 Sep 2021 06:47

If I recall well, SCS had got already an statement about the kind of mods they don't sanction; included those who take content from one game and adds it to the other (trucks, for example). Of course, based on that statement, they can request Steam to retire whatever content they think it violates that rule (as like any other content that violates other mod official rules).

Beyond that, SCS can do little to nothing, as anybody can with their games. Unless they want to lock down the mod functionality behind the private fences of some kind of "in-game mod store". Only then they could have the control that rumor spreads; but no licenser can force that to happen and even so, that will not avoid:

A- People breaking that fences in their local copies of the game to keep running those mods. Look how TMP existed for years or now the sessions for 9+ players that appear here and there (or let'0s take the example of how easy is to break those fences on iPhones, despite the gazillions that Apple could want to spent on them)
B- People keep playing in older versions of the game that aren't not able to force that blocking. Even if SCS would retire them from Steam, due fact A, that will grant nothing (but more players pissed and bad news coverage).

So, if there could be true that somebody at some US manufacturer could be pissed for those images of US trucks being used at ETS2; then I will suggest that people to learn how it works Internet, computers and modern society in general. It would be a good lesson to avoid being ridiculous next time they open their mouths. In the meantime, it's useless to keep losing time about that kind of useless rumors.

Regards
Wolfseye

Re: Rumors about being forced to remove truck mods from either ETS2 or ATS from the opposite game ?

#12 Post by Wolfseye » 21 Sep 2021 07:05

Thanks guys for all your posts. ;) And I cant tell you how happy & also surprised I am, to not get the usual "bash" comments, that go for some reason with a lot of people. Especially sometimes if you talk about mods, and the fact that you love the game more with mods, they start bashing you as if the fact that I would love to play with mods instead of without, would impact their game if they would prefer to play vanilla. Its the aggrevation you get from people, without reason, about something they dont accept you doing it, so they have to counter instead of just accepting that someone else likes to play different, and move on. Noone has to play with Mods if he or she doesnt want to. So why argue about using mods at all, if not using is always an option ? :)

I am really hoping, as most of you think, its just a rumor. The only reason I wrote about it, is because it would really take the fun away from me (everyone is different, likes different things). Besides, again for those argueing why it would be realistic to use American trucks in the EU game, and vice versa, because why the hell not. I love American Trucks, for me they just look much cooler, have more character as the flat European trucks. So even if they couldnt be driven her in Europe in real life, its a game damn it. Why does it matter what you drive ? People drive much worse things that totally have nothing to do with Trucks. I see more car mods on mod sites, than truck mods. Its much more strange to put car mods in any of the games, than truck mods from another part of the world.

Live and let live, thats all I can say.

And again, thanks for a very nice discussion here. All we can do at this point, is wait and hope that some of these rumors are not what SCS is working on in any way. Not to mention, that going further than disallowing mods like that on Steam Workshop or here on the forum, it would go a whole new step to "check" people's drives for mods that they dont want you to use. That reminds me of back then something with EA where they tried to get information from your PC, check & scan your drives, just to supposedly check for certain stuff. That was already bad then, and now especially with European laws, that would be a bad move opening that pandoras box for a game again. So I hope it stays the way it is.

Cheers & you all have a nice day. ;)
I might get easily frustrated and say something wrong on occasion, but I never really mean it. Please do what I often cant, dont take it too personal. And please forgive me. Thanks guys. :)
mackintosh

#13 Post by mackintosh » 21 Sep 2021 07:27

SCS can, and will if asked to do so by manufacturers, remove those kind of mods from the forum and the workshop. What goes on beyond here and there however is outside of their purview.
egulley316

#14 Post by egulley316 » 21 Sep 2021 08:11

bobgrey1997 wrote: 21 Sep 2021 03:37 Interesting rumor. Where did you first hear it? I've been active on this forum for many years now and have never even heard of the idea of this, so not much of a rumor, to be honest, if it can't even spread like one!
Seems like some random person making things up.
Look above, I linked the original post
egulley316

#15 Post by egulley316 » 21 Sep 2021 08:14

Wolfseye wrote: 21 Sep 2021 07:05 Thanks guys for all your posts. ;) And I cant tell you how happy & also surprised I am, to not get the usual "bash" comments, that go for some reason with a lot of people. Especially sometimes if you talk about mods, and the fact that you love the game more with mods, they start bashing you as if the fact that I would love to play with mods instead of without, would impact their game if they would prefer to play vanilla. Its the aggrevation you get from people, without reason, about something they dont accept you doing it, so they have to counter instead of just accepting that someone else likes to play different, and move on. Noone has to play with Mods if he or she doesnt want to. So why argue about using mods at all, if not using is always an option ? :)

I am really hoping, as most of you think, its just a rumor. The only reason I wrote about it, is because it would really take the fun away from me (everyone is different, likes different things). Besides, again for those argueing why it would be realistic to use American trucks in the EU game, and vice versa, because why the hell not. I love American Trucks, for me they just look much cooler, have more character as the flat European trucks. So even if they couldnt be driven her in Europe in real life, its a game damn it. Why does it matter what you drive ? People drive much worse things that totally have nothing to do with Trucks. I see more car mods on mod sites, than truck mods. Its much more strange to put car mods in any of the games, than truck mods from another part of the world.

Live and let live, thats all I can say.

And again, thanks for a very nice discussion here. All we can do at this point, is wait and hope that some of these rumors are not what SCS is working on in any way. Not to mention, that going further than disallowing mods like that on Steam Workshop or here on the forum, it would go a whole new step to "check" people's drives for mods that they dont want you to use. That reminds me of back then something with EA where they tried to get information from your PC, check & scan your drives, just to supposedly check for certain stuff. That was already bad then, and now especially with European laws, that would be a bad move opening that pandoras box for a game again. So I hope it stays the way it is.

Cheers & you all have a nice day. ;)
It was my pleasure to bring this up because I sensed that something was not quite right about it and to make this even more interesting, I still have not gotten any response from the original poster as to proof.
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#16 Post by Mohegan13 » 21 Sep 2021 08:32

viewtopic.php?f=281&t=270259
How about ETS2 items to ATS and vice versa via mods?

We understand why some people like to drive certain trucks on the other side of Atlantic, but as there is no way how to check the usage of items not bought or earned, it still might be in conflict with the basic paradigm. They are not in line with the licensing terms between us and the truck manufacturers, so such mods are in dangerous territory. If we are talking truck models created from scratch by their respective mod authors, of course they are absolutely in the clear.
You were warned 2 years ago that it wasn't appropriate. Now it's going into action here and on the workshop, the two places that would be considered officially SCS sanctioned and this has somehow come as a surprise to people? 🙄

It doesn't appear we have such mods on the forum anyway. But the Workshop ones will be getting removed at the end of the week.
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
mackintosh

#17 Post by mackintosh » 21 Sep 2021 08:47

Well, like I said, completely understandable. Not like they have a choice in the matter. I still have to wonder which manufacturer forced their hand though. My bet is on the one whose main truck is still MIA in ATS.
Wolfseye

#18 Post by Wolfseye » 21 Sep 2021 08:48

Might be legally ok, but not otherwise. Bad move, no matter for what reason. I am with many games over the last 20 years, where mods were a big part of the experience. And never was a developer forced (if thats what it is really), to block certain mods or locations where mods were shared (other than of course if it was about paid mod where money was involved, right on the dev. website). If indeed its the Truck companies that are nitpicking here, its almost a reason to boykott those companies, just for being so whiny. I mean, come on, lets be real. Lets say, I play an American Truck in a "Game" like Euro Truck Simulator 2, not to mention that most people also paid for both games, ATS and ETS2. So technically we did pay, we did earn our right to play with these. What possible problem could it be for you as a real Truck developer company, if i would prefer to play that truck in the other game ? DIdnt i still pay for both those games. Does it matter where i drive this truck ? I mean, its a game !!! As much as its supposed to go into a more Simulator kinda thing, its still just a game.

Why would any company care, what truck i drive here at home on my PC ??? Except the word "nitpicky" that would come to mind. There is no reason, I see right now, that would justify that. And then we're getting back to the Truck Companies doing the: "Because we can..." kinda behaviour. And thats just low.

Try to think about a valid reason, other than what I just said above, why me or anyone else using a truck model from ATS in ETS2 would be any kind of problem, AT ALL, for you as a truck manufacturer ??? If you find a valid reason, i would really love to know. ;) Other than that, its just the "Because we can..." reason.

Just trying to understand.

We payed for both, so why cant we use it that way ???

And removing it from the SW and here would still not solve the problem. And I doubt those companies would not also make pressure to sue all those mod websites, to remove all those. That would be a really, really stupid move, and would even less make sense. I am sorry if I am not fully understanding the point in all this, other than manufacturers forcing SCS, for really pitty reasons, to do this.
I might get easily frustrated and say something wrong on occasion, but I never really mean it. Please do what I often cant, dont take it too personal. And please forgive me. Thanks guys. :)
mackintosh

#19 Post by mackintosh » 21 Sep 2021 08:53

The reasoning is simple - a manufacturer licensed their trademark to be used in a single game. If SCS allow users to then take this content and port it over to the other game that is a violation of their licensing agreement and someone has taken issue with this. No one is banning mods, and no one is going to stop you from doing this in the future, so long as you do not disseminate such mods via platforms that SCS has direct control over. SCS has absolutely no other choice but to acquiesce to such requests, and this is a very reasonable demand.
Wolfseye

#20 Post by Wolfseye » 21 Sep 2021 09:00

Not my question. What i was asking is to see a really good reason, other than the manufacturers would just press SCS to do that, "because they can!" , why it would make any difference at all to the truck manufacturers, if i prefer to drive a truck from the other game in Europe instead of the US, or vice versa. The reasons so far presented do not make sense to me, which in return would make me wonder why those companies would be so narrowminded, considering nothing I would do by driving these trucks in the opposite game, would in no case impact on their buisness or image (and I mean a real company image, and a game representation does not count toward that) of their brand. That does not compute with me.

Lets make up some other story. If US car companies now for some reason, wouldnt like that cars from brands like FIAT, TOYOTA or whatever else non-US native brands, would according to their opinion make not a good look on the streets of the US, next to their own cars. So they use their government connections to make the US really forbid the use and import of such cars in the US. For a reason as low as this. Not the same, but it feels like the same bs kinda reason behind this. And to clarify that, I dont blame SCS for that, but i question the motives of the truck manufacturers, to do something like that.

Not to mention, the truck manufacturers i suppose also get money from SCS to use those licenses, right ? So, by doing something like this, which then in return could upset players and make them maybe not continue buy DLC's and by that, also make the games produce less income and so the truck manufacturers would not benefit from a situation like this. And, if thats really not a problem for them, then the whole thing would make even less sense, if thats no impact for them at all. Then why bother at all ? I am not trying to be difficult, but at some point it must make real sense, to go through with something like this, and forcing SCS to do that.

Return to “General discussion about the game”